Katy Perry scores 8th Billboard Number 1 with Roar

xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
Forum Member
selling 448,000 downloads for the week ending Sept. 1

Well Done Katy!

Roar" becomes Perry's eighth Hot 100 No. 1. She first led with "I Kissed a Girl," which began a seven-week command (her longest) the week of July 5, 2008. In that span, Perry has quickly scaled the list of the women with the most No. 1s in the chart's 55-year history.

Katy will also be number 1 in the U.K at the same time.

Comments

• chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She sold like 1.4M in 3 weeks in the USA thats pretty solid

The video is about to come out and beside eminem there no competion in the rest of the top 10 she should stick at #1 for at least 2 more weeks and maybe more
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Amazing! She is on a roll.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    She's gonna beat Rihanna soon, if she keeps up like this.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And with a fraction of the albums as well. Katy only needs two more #1's now to match Rihanna's solo US chart toppers.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She deserves all her success. So pleased for her.
    Forum Member
    So 3008 wrote: »
    And with a fraction of the albums as well. Katy only needs two more #1's now to match Rihanna's solo US chart toppers.

To be fair, though, Rihanna's early music was more "niche" than it is now, whereas Katy has hovered around pop/pop-rock since she broke into the mainstream.

She deserves her success, though, she showed all the other popstars how to properly promote an album with Teenage Dream.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady Gaga has 3, Britney has 5, Beyoncé has 5, Katy has 8, Rihanna has 12. Wow. Thought Britney would be higher. But well done Katy.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, though, Rihanna's early music was more "niche" than it is now, whereas Katy has hovered around pop/pop-rock since she broke into the mainstream.

She deserves her success, though, she showed all the other popstars how to properly promote an album with Teenage Dream.

How was Rihanna's earlier music more niceh it was Pop/R&B which was the dominaing genre at the time maybe the music just wasn't as good.

Anyway no surrprises but still well done Ms. Perry Dark Horse indeed :p
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am pleased it has finally risen.:eek: two weeks at #2 is no oddity in the us, but with the "blurred lines" performance at the vma's, i had wondered if it would have a huge boost in terms of streaming.:D the sales are rather strong too and the video will no doubt help extend her lead with its release tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

& with only her 3rd album. As much as I love Rih, I hope katy over takes her, I normally see quite a few annoying Rih fans of twitter, who constantly mention her #1's & some also some dislike Katy for some reason so it would be amusing tbh lol :)
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    How was Rihanna's earlier music more niceh it was Pop/R&B which was the dominaing genre at the time maybe the music just wasn't as good.

I agree, her music has always been commercial. If anything I'd say it's less so now than it used to be.

Congrats to Katy! :D Blurred Lines is still huge as well. It's got over 200 million AI, good sales and great streaming, so the fact that Katy is #1 over it is a huge achievement, especially with no music video.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Lady Gaga has 3, Britney has 5, Beyoncé has 5, Katy has 8, Rihanna has 12. Wow. Thought Britney would be higher. But well done Katy.

A lot of Britney's singles weren't released on CD Single back in the pre-download day, which means she had to rely on radio play. The Clear-Channel radio ban she had for a few years didn't help either, feel a tad sorry for her.

Well done to Katy though, fully deserved IMO.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately in the U.S radio plays make up a huge fraction of how a songs' chart position ends up, between the years of 2001-2007ish Britney was boycotted from most radio stations due to a contractual dispute, hence why her positions are pretty low throughout that time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since California Gurls she's went #1, #1, #1, #1, #1, #3, #1, #2, #1. :eek:
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Female MJ has struck again. :D The song is pretty much a master class in creating a smash hit.

8 number one singles after 3.5 albums is just outlandish. It takes real talent IMO to write and perform memorable, anthemic songs that smash consistently.
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

Her early music was more reggae-influenced, but she went into purer R&B/Pop with her second album and onwards. She's a lot more commercial now than she was back then.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Female MJ has struck again. :D The song is pretty much a master class in creating a smash hit.

8 number one singles after 3.5 albums is just outlandish. It takes real talent IMO to write and perform memorable, anthemic songs that smash consistently.

Her label make perfect music for American radio. Pretty much that :p

In all seriousness they do :eek: