Provisional Driving Licence can i drive a car

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
Forum Member
It is true i can drive somebody else's car on a provisional driving licence as long as i have L plates on the front and back of the car have somebody in the car who has a full english driving licence and has been driving for 2 years or more.

Also i do i need to be named on there insurance this is the bit i am very unsure about.

Comments

• CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    You need to be certain that you are insured to drive the car. That's either through insurance that you hold which entitles you to drive that car, or insurance they hold which covers you to drive the car. And be sure that the car is otherwise legal - e.g. MOT.

Then you do as you would do in your own car - L plates and "qualified" supervisor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you can drive any car with L Plates and if the other driver has been driving for two years and is over 21. And, yes you will need to be insured to drive their car.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Dissonance wrote: »
    Yes you can drive any car with L Plates and if the other driver has been driving for two years and is over 21. And, yes you will need to be insured to drive their car.

Ok thanks for the advice so far this car is owned by my friend so if i was a named driver on his insurance and he was supervising (he has been driving 3 years and over 21) and i had a provisional licence and the correct L plates i am legally entitled to drive the car.

The car has passed a MOT and is fully taxed.
  • blueacidblueacid Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks for the advice so far this car is owned by my friend so if i was a named driver on his insurance and he was supervising (he has been driving 3 years and over 21) and i had a provisional licence and the correct L plates i am legally entitled to drive the car.

So you're insured, accompanied by someone old enough and who's held a licence long enough, you've got the L plates and the car's roadworthy?

You're good to go! Try not to stall :)
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    ... this car is owned by my friend so if i was a named driver on his insurance and he was supervising (he has been driving 3 years and over 21) and i had a provisional licence and the correct L plates i am legally entitled to drive the car.

Yes, in principle, but the crucial word in your sentence is "if".

Adding a provisional licence holder as a named driver on his policy would probably require him/her to pay an additional premium, which could be a significant sum.
  • NatSavNatSav Posts: 1,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Adding you as a named driver would probably increase your friends premium by quite a bit as has already been mentioned.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and don't forget that your mate has to be fit to drive the car at all times that you are driving it. So you cannot legally drive him back from the pub if he gets pi**ed even though not one drop of alcohol has passed your lips.

And get magnetic L plates. You cannot display L plates when a full licence holder is driving the car! Not sure how driving schools get away with it though?

And your mate should switch his mobile off as well. Because it is an offence for him to use it even though you are driving.

http://www.helpingldrivers.com/law/supervisor.htm
    http://www.helpingldrivers.com/index.htm

Which is a RoSPA website so one hopes they know what they are talking about.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the helpful reply most appericated.

Yet again members of digitalspy have the answers you lot are great at answering questions :D
  • NatSavNatSav Posts: 1,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

And get magnetic L plates. You cannot display L plates when a full licence holder is driving the car! Not sure how driving schools get away with it though?

Are you absolutely certain about that?
    Forum Member
    Oh and don't forget that your mate has to be fit to drive the car at all times that you are driving it. So you cannot legally drive him back from the pub if he gets pi**ed even though not one drop of alcohol has passed your lips.

And your mate should switch his mobile off as well. Because it is an offence for him to use it even though you are driving.

http://www.helpingldrivers.com/law/supervisor.htm
    http://www.helpingldrivers.com/index.htm

Which is a RoSPA website so one hopes they know what they are talking about.

Ok i would have though he would have to be in a fit state to drive the car also thanks for the other advice and website links most appericated :D
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    $lumpy$ wrote: »
    Are you absolutely certain about that?
    Struggling to find the exact law but...
    Q: Can I keep the L plates on my car all the time or do I have to remove them when my son, who is learning to drive, has finished his lesson?
    A: You cannot keep the L plates on the car once the learner has finished driving. These plates are for learner drivers only and enable other drivers to alter their behaviour accordingly. The use of L plates by non-learner drivers is an offence and you can be pulled over for their incorrect use.

Source
    http://www.helpingldrivers.com/questions/index.htm

As I said I trust that RoSPA know what they are talking about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    . You cannot display L plates when a full licence holder is driving the car! Not sure how driving schools get away with it though?

If a driving instructor is going about his business he is allowed to drive with L plates on during working hours, if he is using the vehicle for leisure purposes the plates should be removed.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find that the supervisor needs to have held a full license for 3 years, and not 2 as some people on here have said. From what you have said you will be fine anyway.

I hate it when people give duff advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think people should have to write a "rules of the road" test before getting into a car.
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    piper333 wrote: »
    I really think people should have to write a "rules of the road" test before getting into a car.

Tough requirement - maybe they should have only to pass such a test, rather than write one. Isn't that the Theory Test, though? But who knows what this nanny state will come up with. :)