Buying a car - price negotiations

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
Forum Member
✭✭
In about an hour I'm off to look at a car for the second time.
It's up for £12k and I'll get £2k for chopping in my old one.
What further discount should I expect to negotiate?

I'm a middle aged woman on my own and don't want to be taken for a muppet!

Cheers.

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 2K price for the old car is the trade-in value from the same dealer? Do you know the approximate value of that car if you sold it privately to judge how good their offer is?

You should look at the overall deal, whether they dress it up with a good trade-in value or discount the new car it's the overall price you pay that counts.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    always be prepared to walk away if they are not willing to negotiate on anything.
    I did just that and sat it out for 2 weeks and the salesman eventually called me back and gave me the deal i wanted.
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you post specs of the car, mileage and age etc then someone would probably be able to give you a value. If not check on autotrader and see how it comes on there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks all.
    Yes the px is with the same dealer.
    The car is a 2008 Volvo V50 with 21k miles on the clock. Price seems about right from checking various websites.
    Mine is a 15 year old SLK with 150k miles and in rough condition. Again the 2k offer seems reasonable.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always offer an insultingly low price at a dealer. They usually (but not always) meet me half way. Sometimes they even accept it straight away. They expect it.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always offer an insultingly low price at a dealer. They usually (but not always) meet me half way. Sometimes they even accept it straight away. They expect it.

And you can only offer higher than what you first offered,so deffo don't go in too low.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Well come on OP - how did you get on? :)
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would ask for a couple of free services, road tax for a year, and Superguard cover. If they won't do it, walk away - they'll soon do it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I offered £9.5k but they didn't accept it. Left my phone number with them so we'll see.

I guess if they don't come back I'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the help. It's a bit daunting buying something so expensive on your own, so it was much appreciated.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do grab a friend even if its another lady who doesnt know much more than you do as theres strength in numbers but you did well by sticking with your game plan and not get the hard sell and remember if you dont like the deal always walk away
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years back I went after a car for sale at 13K. I offered 7.5k and waited.
    A week later it was reduced to 12k. Still didn't sell.
    2 weeks after that I bought it for 8k!

Worth making offers. Worth sitting and waiting. You never know what you could end up with...