The Mentalist Season 5 (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Season 5 of The Mentalist premieres on CBS this Sunday, 30th September, having shifted from it's old Thursday slot.

Once aired Stateside, it's fair game for discussion! Please keep all discussion relating to unaired episodes within spoiler tags, including promos.

What's next for Jane? He went a long way to try and lure Red John out into the open at the end of Season 4, only to be outwitted again. Could Emmanuelle Chriqui's character 'Lorelei' be key in Jane's search?

Comments

• daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S5 needs to hurry up and air so then maybe c5 will set a return date
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Oooh I'm so excited! I really cant wait!

I haven't taken part in previous years threads as I watched all seasons in a 3-4 week marathon earlier in the year and just caught up two weeks before the end of the last season finale.
    This is a incredible series that I cant believe I over looked before and Simon Baker is amazing.
  • Mrs_Stig24Mrs_Stig24 Posts: 4,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so excited for Season 5! :D

From what I've been able to piece together from various spoilers/interviews over the summer,
    We're going to get some key information about Red John over the course of the season and Bruno Heller himself has said that Jane will be much closer to discovering Red John's identity. I think the episodes will have more of an over-reaching arc, a bit like the hunt for the mole in Season 3. Also Lisbon is going to have a 3 episode arc where she has her own "Red John" to hunt which makes her understand Jane's own desire for revenge much more clearly.

And the best news of all is Bertram and Minnelli are coming back! :D As are Rigsby's dad, Summer and LaRoche!

I've had no self-restraint at all this summer when it's come to spoilers for The Mentalist! Think I'll have to rewatch the season 4 finale tomorrow in preparation! :D
  • hayleys2915hayleys2915 Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It airs tonight, who's looking forward to it?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, along with "Dexter", "The Good Wife", and "Family Guy".

I'll watch "Homeland" at UK Pace
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member

I am! :)
  • dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good comeback episode, I thought. It seems like there's going to be a FBI/CBI rivalry going on and I imagine the 'FBI mole' storyline will tie in with all this. I haven't seen Polly Walker in anything since Rome and my lord, she doesn't half seem to have aged! Not sure I thought much of her character, although she'd be my early call for the mole. Not sure how 'high up' she is though.

The Lorelei thing? It seems a bit misguided on Jane's part to think he could turn her, since when has any RJ follower/accomplice shown any sign of wavering loyalty? Oh and I normally try to ignore such things, but I found it a bit of a poor conclusion to the episode's murder.... Former rich girl wins massive lottery jackpot? What are the odds of that? It just seemed a bit shoehorned in to throw the viewer off the scent...

Oh and the amount of Cho, Rigsby and Van Pelt's (especially) screen time was disappointing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    Oh and I normally try to ignore such things, but I found it a bit of a poor conclusion to the episode's murder.... Former rich girl wins massive lottery jackpot? What are the odds of that? It just seemed a bit shoehorned in to throw the viewer off the scent...

Oh and the amount of Cho, Rigsby and Van Pelt's (especially) screen time was disappointing...

I actually thought Cho and Rigsby had a decent amount of screentime given how the main plot was always going to be the fallout from the season 4 finale. I felt there was a return of the team dynamic in this episode which had been missing from season 4, in my opinion. And, if no-one had guessed from the camera angles used to shoot Van Pelt in this episode, Amanda Righetti is pregnant so I imagine she'll be disappearing midway through this season.

The murder of the week wasn't that important really, and quite predictable. I figured out early on that the policeman was involved and then there were the not so subtle lottery advertisements in various scenes.:rolleyes:

Loved Lisbon being a bit more angry and tough. Laughed at the scene where she's ranting to Jane and he sneaks off, leaving her there shouting to nobody. Robin Tunney delivered the "you're driving me nuts" line perfectly. :D

Lorelei is a brilliant character and she just has this "butter wouldn't melt" aura. She's playing a fantastic mind game; her little dig about Jane only working with the CBI because he's a little bit in love with Lisbon was probably because she knew Lisbon would be listening in. It scares me a little just how determined Jane is to make her talk though.

The CBI vs FBI story was quite humourous and it was nice to see Bertram back, injecting a little authority. Wainwright was never much of a strong leader and i'm happy there is now a boss for Jane to bounce off again.

Didn't really expect that ending though! I guess the CBI losing Lorelei whilst she was in their custody will not go down well with the FBI.....
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not another show ruined by a pregnant actress.

Can't they just leave the show for a while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the episode and next weeks looks even better!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    The only way im going to be able to watch this is if i forget about ever finding out who red john is. For the past two seasons i have really thought red john would be revealed. Does anyone how many seasons are left? If this isnt the last one then the reveal wont be this season. Im just going to enjoy it for the murder of the week and jane playing everyone and lisbon getting wound up lol. They couldnt have brought out anyone more different at the end :-D will we be seeing loreili again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snowiris wrote: »
    The only way im going to be able to watch this is if i forget about ever finding out who red john is. For the past two seasons i have really thought red john would be revealed. Does anyone how many seasons are left? If this isnt the last one then the reveal wont be this season. Im just going to enjoy it for the murder of the week and jane playing everyone and lisbon getting wound up lol. They couldnt have brought out anyone more different at the end :-D will we be seeing loreili again?

This isn't the last season. I think there may be 7 but I'm hoping the Red John storyline wraps up in Season 6 and Season 7 is just aftermath. Lorelei's in it for at least 5 episodes.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Words can not even describe how much I love this show. It truly is a remarkable series.
    The new premiere was absolutely awesome. I cant believe Lorelei went missing at the end. There are just so many unexpected twists in this series. I love the way it balances out darkness and humour so well.

Simon Baker is brilliant; if any of you have not seen The Guardian I strongly recommend you give it a watch. He was brilliant in that series too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't the last season. I think there may be 7 but I'm hoping the Red John storyline wraps up in Season 6 and Season 7 is just aftermath. Lorelei's in it for at least 5 episodes.

That's what threw me in the premiere; I knew Lorelei was in several episodes this series and Bruno Heller had implied Jane would be interrogating her over the course of the season so I just naturally assumed she'd remain in custody the entire time.

One of the writers let slip on twitter a while ago that the show had been renewed for Season 6 as well but I think that wasn't meant to be made public because there has been no official word!

Like you say, I hope there are a few episodes post Red John so we can see how Jane copes. I'd feel cheated if Red John was revealed in the final ever episode with only 5 or 6 minutes to handle the moments afterward.

Has anyone seen the promo for Episode 2? It's crazy!!
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i don't think they'll be able to let red john go.

even if they do a whole season without him after his death i'm pretty sure the last shot will be a red john smile.
    Forum Member
    Mrs_Stig24 wrote: »

i have. it looks weird. if you search for Devil's Cherry on youtube it's there.
  • dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i don't think they'll be able to let red john go.

even if they do a whole season without him after his death i'm pretty sure the last shot will be a red john smile.

That makes me think of a Dexter-style ending, Jane has dispatched of Red John once and for all and we're left to think all will be well. Except the series ends with Jane's discovery of Lisbon (who he must surely have got together with by the end!), murdered by Red John prior to the final confronation- with that smile on the wall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what threw me in the premiere; I knew Lorelei was in several episodes this series and Bruno Heller had implied Jane would be interrogating her over the course of the season so I just naturally assumed she'd remain in custody the entire time.

One of the writers let slip on twitter a while ago that the show had been renewed for Season 6 as well but I think that wasn't meant to be made public because there has been no official word!

Like you say, I hope there are a few episodes post Red John so we can see how Jane copes. I'd feel cheated if Red John was revealed in the final ever episode with only 5 or 6 minutes to handle the moments afterward.

Episode 2 looks awesome. I think we will see "Charlotte" but some of it will be in Jane's imagination.
    Forum Member
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    That makes me think of a Dexter-style ending, Jane has dispatched of Red John once and for all and we're left to think all will be well. Except the series ends with Jane's discovery of Lisbon (who he must surely have got together with by the end!), murdered by Red John prior to the final confronation- with that smile on the wall.

that's the kind of thing i reckon yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved that episode. It was nice to get a glimpse at what kind of relationship Jane and his daughter would have if she was still alive and it was nice to learn about the things he taught her. I enjoyed the mixture of funny and sadness. The last seen was really sad. I'm sure it will effect the rest of the season.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been reading about ratings for The Mentalist since it's new move to Sundays in America and apparently it's not doing so good? Seems like a big mistake to dump it to Sundays when it was still thriving in its original Thursday night slot. Hope the shedding of viewers doesn't continue.
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Been reading about ratings for The Mentalist since it's new move to Sundays in America and apparently it's not doing so good? Seems like a big mistake to dump it to Sundays when it was still thriving in its original Thursday night slot. Hope the shedding of viewers doesn't continue.

sunday is a tough night in america. ridiculously it's up against things like homeland that all start half an hour earlier.

they must have known this would happen though. so i guess it depends how it compares to their expectations.

they've moved it to promote elementary which is on after big bang theory, two and a half men and person of interest. a great run in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »

It got 13 million viewers once all the DVR figures were included so I'm not worried. For a Sunday night that's not bad at all! :)

Just watched Devil's Cherry and boy was it a good one. It's hard to pick a favourite scene because you can't really compare the humourous ones, like Jane "stealing" the ambulance, to the more serious ones like Jane and Charlotte's talk in the hospital. This episode really had everything! The actress playing Charlotte was great and Simon Baker was exceptionally good in this episode. His face during the scene when Charlotte disappeared almost had me. :(

And who knew Jane and Lisbon spoke German so well? :p:D
    Forum Member
    It got 13 million viewers once all the DVR figures were included so I'm not worried. For a Sunday night that's not bad at all! :)

Just watched Devil's Cherry ...

spoliers Mrs Stig
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    spoliers Mrs Stig

The episode has aired in the US and this a US pace thread....