Why did the supermarkets not do GTA V deals?

ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
Forum Member
✭✭
I can't get my head around this at all. Everybody knew it was going to be one of the highest-selling games of all-time. Why did the supermarkets let GAME and Amazon take all the trade and not do their usual deals to get in on the action? :confused:

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They probably sold all thier quota at full price so doesn't look like they needed any deals. Tesco did one with psn or live points I'm sure
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were cheaper than game and why reduce something that was always going to sell shed loads anyway?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because obviously they didn't need to.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I can't get my head around this at all. Everybody knew it was going to be one of the highest-selling games of all-time. Why did the supermarkets let GAME and Amazon take all the trade and not do their usual deals to get in on the action? :confused:

What do you mean by deals?

Tesco sent out £5 off codes to a lot of users to let them pick it up at £34.99 (before everyone priced it down to that)

Sainsburys and ASDA did the get it for £32 if you buy a PSN card deal.

GTAV was always going to sell and DVDs, CDs and Games are a tiny part of a supermarkets income so they probably weren't entirely fussed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member

Because they didn't really need to entice people to buy the game. Considering it took $800 million worldwide in 24 hours you can sort of see why everywhere decided to charge full price to maximise their profits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Game didnt take all the business.

Not when game charge 50 quid and the supermarkets charged 38.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Simple economics really, if you can undercut everyone and sell at £38 then why reduce it further. They have a finite amount of stock so by reducing the price they would only run out sooner rather than later.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco (at least Tesco Direct, not checked in store) had offers on, save £6 if you buy the game with a Playstation Network or MS Points card (think this expired on 22nd), plus if you signed up as a new customer on Tesco Direct (don't even actually have to be a new customer, just use a new email address) you could also have £5 off your first order. Add those two up as I did and that's £11 off, if you consider the points cards voucher price to be fixed then you could say you were getting GTA V for just £27 (£38-£11) not bad at all for what must surely be the game of the year and has many months of excellent gameplay in it.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My local Asda sold out of both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. 200 x £30 or 200 x £40. Which would you prefer if you were in the business? Seems strange you can't get your head around this.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Because obviously they didn't need to.

This.

You dont "do deals" for stuff that is in high demand.

That's like throwing away money if you run a business.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

Often they get special deals from the distributor to offer discounts. Maybe they couldn't get anything from Take 2/Rockstar so they just didn't bother...
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco had a deal on their website where you could buy a 250GB Xbox 360 for £169 with GTA V thrown in.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    That's because they're trying to get rid of 360s, not GTA V.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I made the error of thinking I'd pick up a copy at the supermarket, but all shelves were bare.

Therefore, I would assume because they knew it would be the biggest seller of all time, they also predicted that their shelves would empty in the first week. Therefore, no sensible person would go to their boss and say "hey, how about selling all these at ten quid less?" when they knew they would sell them all out at full price.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go my copy from Tesco direct for £33, I'd certainly call that a deal!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I got mine off Tesco Direct for £29. Pre-order discount and clubcard points.FTW. They didn't need to. Everytime i've been to a supermarket since release GTA is sold out.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could price them £100 and 4 pints of blood and it would still sell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    They could price them £100 and 4 pints of blood and it would still sell.
    I could do that. Well as long as it wasn't my blood of course.