Anchorman: The Legend Continues

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The trailer was perfect. Steve Carrel's facial expressions are priceless. I know this is a marmite movie, but I love it :)

Comments

• Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    You mean this new trailer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elczv0ghqw0

The dinner scene.....:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was worried but this looks just as good as the first.

One thing I'm iffy on is that they were on top at the end of the first film and now they seem to be at the bottom of the barrel...
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer genuinely made me laugh, especially the dinner scene ending and I can bet this sequel will have as many quotable phrases as the first. Definitely looking forward to seeing this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    One thing I'm iffy on is that they were on top at the end of the first film and now they seem to be at the bottom of the barrel...

They've fallen from the top due to the advent of global and 24 hour news channels taking away their viewers.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    And it is set a decade later isn't it. Who knows what could have happened in the 10 years ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im worried about this one, Anchorman is one of my all-time favourite films :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has been rated PG-13 in the US but got a 15 here. Strange considering the original is only a 12...
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I notice that Anchorman is on BBC3 tonight at 10

Must admit I'd never heard of it until the actor was on Newsnight this week (for some strange reason !)

However I see that Kelly Bundy (Christina Applegate) is in it so I might give it a watch......
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    OMG I'm disgusted, just seen a bit in the first film where Ron jumps into a swimming pool, but he throws a glass of whiskey he is holding, in as well.

This is very dangerous.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I gave up on it after 40 minutes......
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Its not for everyone :)
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched bits of it tonight, had it on in the background. I liked it. Hopefully going to see the new one this week as I loved the trailer.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I gave up on it after 40 minutes......

You lasted half an hour longer than me! I do find that the only American comedy films that I tend to enjoy are rom-coms.
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it last night. Absolutely mental.

The first act is much stronger than the second - but it still has some moments of pure belly laughs. Would have liked more Brian and Champ and found the weird serious plot shoehorned in really weird and pointless.

Thought Meagan Good was terrible and Christina Applegate was underused.

Favourite parts were Ron in the lighthouse, Doby the Shark, Ron's dinner with Linda's family and THE FIGHT SCENE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this in a packed cinema last night. Got plenty of good laughs from the crowd. It was by no means brilliant, but they seem to have went more for the story than the random one off lines and jokes the original was known for. Still had some great scenes and apart from a few unfunny parts or even uncomfortable parts (the 'black' scene which got a few nervous laughs and nothing else for the rest of it [and even seemed like a rip-off of the 'mole' scene from Austin Powers 3]) it was a decent enough sequel. Brick was the funniest character that got the most laughs, Champ, Brian and Veronica were criminally underused, and it focused too much on Ron solo.

I'd give it a 3/5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best part of it was the fight scene with all the news channels. That got the most laughs and cheers the cinema I was in. Especially the Minetour and Brick with his weapon from the future :D I did really like the plot of the evolution of the news chanells, thought that was really smart
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I was a bit disappointed with Anchorman 2 as it was very funny in parts but it wasn't as good as the original.It felt a bit rushed and the fact that they recycled things from the first film like the fight scene!

It's worth a watch but not as good as the original

3/5
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I love the first Anchorman movie, its probably my all time favourite comedy.

So, I didn't have high expectations for this, because sequels rarely live up to the originals.

That said, it was a lot more fun than I expected. Plenty of laughs and I liked the direction it went in. The last 20 minutes were bizarre though, too bizarre and Brick was overused throughout.

Its a worthy sequel though and no doubt I will watch it many times again in the future.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    You lasted half an hour longer than me! I do find that the only American comedy films that I tend to enjoy are rom-coms.
    and that's probably another 9 minutes more than me. Leslie Nielsen films are my limit on U.S comedies. If I dislike films so much, I still always look to give them a 2, 3 or even 4 on IMDB. But the first Anchorman was one of my few 1/10s (in Robin Askwith territory). Both my brother however, have it at 10?
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and that's probably another 9 minutes more than me. Leslie Nielsen films are my limit on U.S comedies. If I dislike films so much, I still always look to give them a 2, 3 or even 4 on IMDB. But the first Anchorman was one of my few 1/10s (in Robin Askwith territory). Both my brother however, have it at 10?
    Anchorman is the definition of a marmite movie. You either loathe it with a passion or think it is one of the funniest films you've ever seen.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this tonight.A couple of laugh out loud moments but on the whole not really for me.I just don't get that American zany humour.

Each to their own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Anchorman is the definition of a marmite movie. You either loathe it with a passion or think it is one of the funniest films you've ever seen.

I guess it's more the definition of a strawberry jam move. it's ok, but nothing to get over excited about.

I've not seen the first film. After seeing this I'm in no rush too even though it was on BBC three this week.

I think I laughed once, maybe smirked three or four times and that was it. Other people in the cinema were laughing, but not at every joke it has to be said and not particularly hard either.

I didn't love it or hate it. I thought it was ... meh!

3/5
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I guess it's more the definition of a strawberry jam move. it's ok, but nothing to get over excited about.

I've not seen the first film. After seeing this I'm in no rush too even though it was on BBC three this week.

I think I laughed once, maybe smirked three or four times and that was it. Other people in the cinema were laughing, but not at every joke it has to be said and not particularly hard either.

I didn't love it or hate it. I thought it was ... meh!

3/5

If you had seen the first one, I would bet you would have enjoyed the 2nd one much more. Lots of the laughs it gave me was in knowing the characters and their sense of self.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite literally jumped the shark and just how did they manage to make Steve Carell seem unfunny?
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10/10 comedy, far better than original

bricks shadow joke has cinema errupting with laughter for good 3-4 minutes afterwards