Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    Think they now have to move on from the will they/wont they thing, so it will be interesting to see how they progress it and how they finish the series because all previous series' have ended with questions over their relationship!!! So assuming for S6 the Doc & Louisa have a 'settled' relationship - where do they go next??? :) x

That's so true. If the spoilers are right, we may finally be moving away from the will-they/won't-they soap opera. Now I guess they have to learn how to be a couple, which I think will take some work. As for how S6 ends, I really wish we knew for sure if S6 is the end or if they may continue with one more series. What I hope does not happen is that S6 ends with a question of some kind, we assume that question will be answered in S7, and BP and/or ITV changes their mind and doesn't produce a S7. Don't leave us in a lurch :( !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    :eek: I spat out my tea. In the UK "fanny" doesn't mean your bum. :cool:

I am all for intimate scenes esp for seeing the Doc "patting" Louisa's ahem... fanny. ;)

I liked it when Louisa kissed him on the cheek before she went to show the parents around the school. That was lingering and lovely. By the look on his face he thought so too.

:o:o:o:o:o Oh dear, and I thought I was pretty bilingual when it came to UKisms. In my six years living there I quickly learned to stop talking about my "pants," and not to look aghast if a male neighbour offered to "knock me up" at a certain hour in the morning. But never came across "fanny" used in that way. Clearly I hung with the wrong people! There was no vulgarity intended and I really apologise for the fact that you now have tea all over your screen and keyboard:o
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Fanny" was a new British slang term for me, too. Never had heard that association either.

I remember reading about the funniest American English/British English difference from a linguist who wrote a whole book on the subject. He said the main language point was the US having a US Postal Service which sends the mail while Britain has a Royal mail which sends the post. The linguist thought that was the US and Britain deliberately choosing to simply be stubbornly contradictory to each other. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I just remembered one scene where I thought the Doc was very brave and tried to be slightly intimate with Louisa. At Penhale's party at the hotel, Doc bent to kiss Louisa on the top of the head just as Penhale was announcing that her car was about to be towed. She brushed her hair and made some comment -- sort of liking brushing a fly aside. I think she didn't realize he was trying to kiss her hair or was overwrought by the idea of her car being towed. As I think more about it, her casual rebuffing of Martin may have foreshadowed their problems with the date for the concert. (She had invited him to the concert just before he kissed her hair.) Louisa tried to be more intimate with Martin at the concert -- pinning the yellow flower to his lapel -- he tried to be more intimate by taking her hand -- she tried to be intimate by kissing him -- and he -- well -- blew the moment by his comment about her emotions.

If they are going to have intimacies in season 6, they have to be mutual to move them together as a couple and not two parties who continue to miss their cues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Conniej wrote: »

I just enjoyed Part 1 of The Older Woman. ("Local hack journalist Roy Hitchcock tries to win the heart of his former teacher. Stars Zoe Wanamaker and Martin Clunes. From January 1993.") MC plays Roy.

Just click the little microphone icon to the left of MC's ear and have a listen. In the piece, Roy talks of his former teacher as "purring" -- that's how I feel about MC's voice. So very sexy!
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    I just remembered one scene where I thought the Doc was very brave and tried to be slightly intimate with Louisa. At Penhale's party at the hotel, Doc bent to kiss Louisa on the top of the head just as Penhale was announcing that her car was about to be towed. She brushed her hair and made some comment -- sort of liking brushing a fly aside. I think she didn't realize he was trying to kiss her hair or was overwrought by the idea of her car being towed. As I think more about it, her casual rebuffing of Martin may have foreshadowed their problems with the date for the concert. (She had invited him to the concert just before he kissed her hair.) Louisa tried to be more intimate with Martin at the concert -- pinning the yellow flower to his lapel -- he tried to be more intimate by taking her hand -- she tried to be intimate by kissing him -- and he -- well -- blew the moment by his comment about her emotions.

If they are going to have intimacies in season 6, they have to be mutual to move them together as a couple and not two parties who continue to miss their cues.

One of the little things from S5E8 that I found most hopeful was the way they just both naturally took each other's hand as they started to walk away from the castle to start their new life together. No fumbling, no looking down, they both just reached out at the same time and linked hands as if they have been doing it for years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know anything about Martin Clunes sister? Is she married, have children, a career? Where does she live? Has anyone seen a picture of her? I wonder if she and her brother are close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Does anybody know anything about Martin Clunes sister? Is she married, have children, a career? Where does she live? Has anyone seen a picture of her? I wonder if she and her brother are close.

I read in an old article that she is a writer; besides that, she seems to be completely off the grid.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He has an older sister,Amanda. She got married in 1983, but have no idea whether she is still married. or what her career is. I have the very vague impression that she lives in the U.S.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've only seen pictures of her when she and MC were very young. I was assuming she wants to keep her life private. During the Desert Island Discs interview, MC re-directed the conversation when asked more about her.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/05/article-1052711-0286AFC700000578-213_468x384.jpg

http://pictures.historicimages.net/pictures/_5/4580/4579391.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    He has an older sister,Amanda. She got married in 1983, but have no idea whether she is still married. or what her career is. I have the very vague impression that she lives in the U.S.

I thought she lived in the UK. MC did mention that she was on holiday in the US when his mother died. The info below is from the Daily Mail article from 2008.

"Outside, he phoned his sister who was in the US on holiday, telling her the situation wasn't that grave. 'I said, "Look, she is really ill, but she is all right. You mustn't come home." But when I hung up there was message from the ward saying, "Come quickly".

'So I rushed back and the curtain was drawn and they were working frantically on her.' He pauses, and reaches to pat his dog. 'I think they were just keeping her alive until I could get there. I'm so glad they did. I held her hand, and that means something to me. I would have hated for her to be alone, to have felt abandoned. With everything... she probably wasn't even aware I was there, but still.' He tells me that one of the first people he contacted was a funeral director he had worked with on the series William And Mary, where he played an undertaker."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen pictures of her when she and MC were very young. I was assuming she wants to keep her life private. During the Desert Island Discs interview, MC re-directed the conversation when asked more about her.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/05/article-1052711-0286AFC700000578-213_468x384.jpg

Thanks everybody. And thanks for these pictures, Conniej. I had seen the first one before. Wasn't he a darling little boy? They look so very English (and well-to-do) don't they? In their little matching shoes.
    Do you think that's Martin as a newborn? He looks like his mother, doesn't he? The eyes, cheeks and mouth. :)
  • Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    That's the sister, I believe since it is dated 1959.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: part 15...i really have been away
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Hi! Welcome back. Hop on in.

Hey, there's only so much room in the Doc's bed. ;)
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everybody. And thanks for these pictures, Conniej. I had seen the first one before. Wasn't he a darling little boy? They look so very English (and well-to-do) don't they? In their little matching shoes.
    Do you think that's Martin as a newborn? He looks like his mother, doesn't he? The eyes, cheeks and mouth. :)

You're right. He does look just like his mother. Except she is prettier, of course. :)
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I had to go to a British English translation site to see what it does mean in the UK, and now I understand your :eek: !

I've actually learned a lot of British slang from watching DM, leading off, of course, with "tosser". I've also learned that a "dummy" is a pacifier or "passy", the difference between trousers and pants, what a punter is, that nappies are diapers, that "all right" can be used as a greeting, "mental" can be used as a noun, whinge means the same thing as whine, a chin wag is a conversation, Joe's danglers are, well, just what they sound like they are, that a bap is a bun, that hob nobs and chocolate digestives are cookies, and many more. Maybe someday I'll make a list.

Yikes, I didn't know about "fanny" either. Thanks for causing me to go look it up. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just enjoyed Part 1 of The Older Woman. ("Local hack journalist Roy Hitchcock tries to win the heart of his former teacher. Stars Zoe Wanamaker and Martin Clunes. From January 1993.") MC plays Roy.

Just click the little microphone icon to the left of MC's ear and have a listen. In the piece, Roy talks of his former teacher as "purring" -- that's how I feel about MC's voice. So very sexy!

Yes, I just listened to ep. 1 today and see it says you have 7 days to listen to it. Listening to a radio play is not really my cup of tea, but that voice is there pulling me in.

Thanks again, Connie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a find on that one pix, Conniej!
    The apples didn't fall far from the tree in that family!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she lived in the UK. MC did mention that she was on holiday in the US when his mother died. The info below is from the Daily Mail article from 2008.

"Outside, he phoned his sister who was in the US on holiday, telling her the situation wasn't that grave. 'I said, "Look, she is really ill, but she is all right. You mustn't come home." But when I hung up there was message from the ward saying, "Come quickly".

'So I rushed back and the curtain was drawn and they were working frantically on her.' He pauses, and reaches to pat his dog. 'I think they were just keeping her alive until I could get there. I'm so glad they did. I held her hand, and that means something to me. I would have hated for her to be alone, to have felt abandoned. With everything... she probably wasn't even aware I was there, but still.' He tells me that one of the first people he contacted was a funeral director he had worked with on the series William And Mary, where he played an undertaker."

I'm sure that's where I got the (erroneous) idea that she lived in the U.S.
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Nows your chance! APT (American Public Television) will be interviewing the cast and crew on the set in Port Isaac (aka Portwenn) on June 9th.

http://www.docmartinfan.com/blog/what-fan-questions-you-have-about
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like the final bid was £1005.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForcesEquine

Coincidentally - I just got a message from the winner (who wants to remain anonymous for now) thanking me for letting her know about it. She's very excited!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like the final bid was £1005.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ForcesEquine

Coincidentally - I just got a message from the winner (who wants to remain anonymous for now) thanking me for letting her know about it. She's very excited!

Wow! That's a lot of dough! But worth it, I'm sure, and for a good cause.

It sure would be fun if the winner could give us a recap of his or her experience participating in filming of the show. After the fact, of course, so as to not let any secrets out. Hint, hint to the winner, if you're reading this.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i think we have to talk about The Coat again. If he's carrying it on the way to filming, I'm thinking he must be wearing it in the scene. (Although apparently it was recently snowing in Devon and Cornwall,) Is a Christmas episode really possible?
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    i think we have to talk about The Coat again. If he's carrying it on the way to filming, I'm thinking he must be wearing it in the scene. (Although apparently it was recently snowing in Devon and Cornwall,) Is a Christmas episode really possible?

My thoughts exactly! :D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.