Best time of year for new TV purchase

I've been researching 45-47" TVs for the last month or so and I stunned by the prices now compared with their 2012 launch prices. Would I be right in thinking that the prices will continue to drop up until to the launch of next years models?

Anyone have any experience of this and willing to pass on advice?

:confused:

Comments

• iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything vaguely middle of the range and above has fallen through the floor recently . Ironically the real junk has held on to its price as there is only so much a importer can do with a £299 TV , it has been a terrible year for sales via any channel of retail . Who would have thought a chain like Comet would get in to trouble in such a spectacular way .

You make your own mind up as to when to purchase but do you think things will get cheaper or better ? Perhaps the next major fall in prices will come when OLED TV's become a commercial reality ( IF ? When ! )
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy in January or February - the retailers are dead and are deparate for custom. Buy last years model which they will want to shift.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Watch out for deals any time of year. Who knows what targets each retailer has to meet at the end of each financial quarter or what pressures are on manufacturers subsidiaries in the countries they sell their products?

As the recession continues to bite, one would suppose that price drops will affect all points of the quality/price scale. There's nothing to stop you negotiating your own deal with the retailer either, especially if you are paying cash.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Keep a eye out at Tescos

My brother spent 2 months deciding on a TV (hates spending) and tesco had a 1 day offer where he got a 40" 3D samsung smart TV (series 6 I think) plus a new xbox 360 and connect all for £500.

Sold the xbox for 200 so basically got a TV usually worth 600-700 for 300.

Bargain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    april, when the new range comes out, you'll pick up a bargain on "last years" range.