LDR: Ultraviolence

Comments

• MaksonMakson Posts: 30,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah she was completely on form last night...lapping up the adoration from us and looking really happy to be performing:)
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a little disappointed at the news Ultraviolence is the next single. I love the verses but I just don't enjoy the chorus. I'd love to see Brooklyn Baby released over the summer.

I'm still getting a huge kick out of the album though as a whole. I haven't tired of it at all.
  • DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would agree its possibly a slightly missed opportunity not to bringing Brooklyn Baby out as a summer song, but I'm happy with UV as a single.

To be honest I think its going to be really hard for any of these songs to chart highly as singles because:
    1) All the core fans have them on the album now anyway
    2) Radio rarely play her stuff anyway...unless (shudder) someone like Cedrix Gervais remixes it....

So the real point is bring out a song that sounds big and she can attach an interesting concept for a video to, on the basis of the You-Tube hits getting more people interested in the album. That's the trick that worked with B2D so well. I think UV lends itself to that very handsomely with its undercurrents of darkness and "cult leader" so lets see what she does with that visually.

Something like Ride was a sales flop as a single but how many You-Tube hits has it got now? How many fans know all the words across the world singing along at the live shows? How many copies of the Paradise Edition flew off the shelf afterwards? How badly did Taylor Swift rip off the video, even using the same director, showing how influential it was?

Nuff said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will just add to this: Lana's on the front cover of America's Rolling Stone magazine along with an interview. Don't know what this one will read like as Rolling Stone and their readers are notoriously anti Lana...could end up being Ultraviolence within itself...we'll see. Nice cover anyway.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/lana-del-rey-is-rocks-saddest-baddest-diva-inside-the-new-issue-20140716
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree BB should have been a single or better yet Old Money as it is so very reminiscent of Young And Beautiful. But that said Ultraviolence should sell the album and she has more or less become an albums artist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Rolling Stone:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/how-lana-del-rey-fought-to-get-her-radical-ultraviolence-lp-released-20140718

In previous interviews Lana has revealed her label weren't too happy with her creative direction on Ultraviolence. However according to producer Dan Auerbach it appears it was a MAJOR battle with them to even make Ultraviolence the way she wanted it, with them cutting off funding and the label having to get the opinion of one of Adele's producers on whether it was any good or not. It doesn't seem they were capable of telling on their own.

You hear horror stories and the record biz and how bad things are and mmm yeah that pretty much confirms it really. Very glad its a battle she won in the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just add this as well, the album in Lana's words, how each song came about:
    http://lanadelreyfan.com/ultraviolence-track-by-track/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would agree its possibly a slightly missed opportunity not to bringing Brooklyn Baby out as a summer song, but I'm happy with UV as a single.

To be honest I think its going to be really hard for any of these songs to chart highly as singles because:
    1) All the core fans have them on the album now anyway
    2) Radio rarely play her stuff anyway...unless (shudder) someone like Cedrix Gervais remixes it....

So the real point is bring out a song that sounds big and she can attach an interesting concept for a video to, on the basis of the You-Tube hits getting more people interested in the album. That's the trick that worked with B2D so well. I think UV lends itself to that very handsomely with its undercurrents of darkness and "cult leader" so lets see what she does with that visually.

Yeah, whilst I don't think singles are overly important in Lana's case, and I understand what you mean re: videos creating interest -- I purely want Brooklyn Baby to be single because I love the song and would love to hear it on the radio. I genuinely think it's her best song - her vocals are just incredible on it. I think in general, her vocals sound stunning on this album.

I've never really been interested in any of Lana's videos if I'm honest :blush: ... :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know its actually kinda refreshing to hear somebody say they don't like the videos and its all about the music after all the times I've seen bitchy music journalists try and suggest the videos are the only good thing she does. Which as we all know is twaddle.

Now we've had West Coast and pseudo single Shades of Cool its possibly hard picking further singles that might get played on the radio. Certainly not at all through lack of quality but because.... she loads the songs with... so many...colourful words...

You think Cruel World, she must release that, it would be a great thumping rockin change of pace -uh F bombs. Brooklyn Baby-argh "I get high on hydroponic weed," etc, etc!

Since it doesn't look like Black Beauty will be used as its just a "bonus track" now, Old Money is possibly the most radio friendly of the songs as its beautiful Romeo and Juliet melody is not loaded with XXX content.

But hey this is Lana, the girl who says she "doesn't go looking for controversy" and ends up causing it week in, week out without even seemingly trying. And she always does it in such a beautiful artistic way you just can't help but be captivated. Whatever anybody says about her, she isn't bland.

So bring on whatever this Ultraviolence video will be as I'm sure it will once more be something dark beautiful and enthralling. Plus I'm sure Taylor Swift and co. will no doubt be desperately watching it seeing what they can rip off from it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of songs too naughty for the radio...F'd My Way Up To The Top live:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk3xSd9m9bA#t=79

Another top quality performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How badly did Taylor Swift rip off the video, even using the same director, showing how influential it was?

Just being nosy really - which Taylor Swift video was it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one; I Know You Were Trouble. Even has Taylor doing a moody monologue out in the wilderness just like Lana:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNoKguSdy4Y

The thing that is so terminally sh*t about this video is the dark Lana style imagery just not go at all with Taylor's bouncy teeny booper music at all. Its such a strange mismatch of styles.

Even more ridiculously I believe Taylor won awards for this video stateside and Lana got nothing. I guess whether something is good art or not never comes into these things.
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know its actually kinda refreshing to hear somebody say they don't like the videos and its all about the music it.

I can honestly say I've never seen one Lana video - that's not anything against Lana, I just couldn't give two hoots about videos. I can't actually remember the last music video I actually chose to watch myself, probably something in the late 90's!! Videos, fashion and celebrity lifestyle of the artist have absolutely no interest to me - it's about the sounds that they make in the studio and on stage that I care about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, jolly good, that's two people that's its all about the music and nowt but the music then. Ultra refreshing!

With most artists I would say you're not missing much not watching the videos, but Lana, oh my word her videos are just something else.

Anyway even though its possibly the case that nobody watches the videos then, here's a possible image from the Ultraviolence video:
    https://twitter.com/LanaDReyOnline/status/490961948461510656

Looking like its going to be :o:o:o stuff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And just had to add this video of Money Power Glory live to the board, visual quality is low but you can hear her and the band better on this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKjiXomtQKc

Glorious stuff!
  • HugoLottHugoLott Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Actually cannot wait for the Ultraviolence music video :3 I hope it is really controversial, just like the song :3
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one; I Know You Were Trouble. Even has Taylor doing a moody monologue out in the wilderness just like Lana:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNoKguSdy4Y

The thing that is so terminally sh*t about this video is the dark Lana style imagery just not go at all with Taylor's bouncy teeny booper music at all. Its such a strange mismatch of styles.

Even more ridiculously I believe Taylor won awards for this video stateside and Lana got nothing. I guess whether something is good art or not never comes into these things.

I actually quite like the song (and the goat parody version and the Brock Lesnar parody version :D) but that video was completely over the top compared to what the song is. Ride just seemed far more epic and suited to the concept whereas it looked like Taylor saw the video and thought "Wow! I have to do my own version of that."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that comment is spot on FMKK. Thanks for the links, I'd never seen the goat + wrestler versions, brilliant :D!

Yeah I'm mean I'm not a fan of Taylor, but I suppose she's good at doing her at her style of music and its an enjoyable song. As they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so its kinda cool to see Lana made such an impact on her she felt the sudden need to imitate.

Definitely agree with you HugoLott on that I can't wait for the video too. I'm hoping the UV video wont be too gruesome but it does look fantastic just from that still shot doesn't it? I'm guessing from the manic stare of her co star it could be quite a psychological affair akin to the film Psycho. We'll see. Sure it wont disappoint both in terms of controversy and artistic cinematic Lana video magic.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still can't stop listening to Sad Girl
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Still can't stop listening to the whole album. It's a masterpiece. And good on Lana for putting her foot down with Interscope and insisting on releasing it as is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teaser for Ultraviolence video released:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCui2bfZIVA
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank-you. Well that will teach me for thinking it will be some big epic, more Ultra minimalism. Makes you wonder with all the apparent rows with the record company over the album whether they wont give her the money for any big videos this time around.

I still really enjoyed it though, very reminiscent of her early Lizzy Grant through to Video Games style of homemade videos.

And I'm glad its getting things back to being about the music cause she's getting more press for "controversial" quotes at the mo. It would be a great shame if this album just ends up getting buried under the distraction of that kind of press as it is pure quality and deserves to be listened to.

I suppose an advantage to doing simple cheap but eye catching videos is she could potentially do a string of them and bring them out fairly rapidly. Could be a bit of cunning guerrilla internet viral marketing.

Cruel World or Old Money for next video treatment perhaps?
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is a money issue. I think the "budget" videos are a deliberate vision she has for this album campaign with keeping everything simple and cohesive.
    There's also the fact she's always on the road touring now so she probably doesn't have time to clear a week out of her schedule for a big budget video shoot anyway:)
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I don't think it is a money issue. I think the "budget" videos are a deliberate vision she has for this album campaign with keeping everything simple and cohesive.
    There's also the fact she's always on the road touring now so she probably doesn't have time to clear a week out of her schedule for a big budget video shoot anyway:)

Me too. It's reminiscent of her original videos and fits in with the style of the cover art etc. I agree with Dragon that Old Money or Cruel World are probably next on the list and I look forward to her doing some cool stuff with them.

I wonder if Lana wandering round in a wedding dress was in any way inspired by the cancelling of her engagement.