Curling; World Juniors, Women's, Men's 2013

Comments

• Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    Yeah, and it's interesting that it'll probably be Japan they play again in the 1/2 page. So it may be a very good thing to get that loss out the way in this game rather than the play-off. Hopefully they'll have learned a bit about their opponents and avoid giving up another end of 3 this time.

Yep, confirmed now.

Apparently they're streaming the men's 3v4 game tomorrow rather than Sco v Can :(
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    Magpie11 wrote: »
    Yep, confirmed now.

Apparently they're streaming the men's 3v4 game tomorrow rather than Sco v Can :(

Oh noo! I hope they haven't taken on one of the Eurosport schedulers! Time to send Sara a tweet and ask her to get it sorted :p

Actually I was thinking as I was watching this afternoon: will this web stream still be live for us during the womens' and mens' championships? Or because Eurosport will have broadcast rights in UK, will we be region blocked from the live games?

I'll be gutted if Eurosport ruin another good thing for us curling fans.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh noo! I hope they haven't taken on one of the Eurosport schedulers! Time to send Sara a tweet and ask her to get it sorted :p

Actually I was thinking as I was watching this afternoon: will this web stream still be live for us during the womens' and mens' championships? Or because Eurosport will have broadcast rights in UK, will we be region blocked from the live games?

I'll be gutted if Eurosport ruin another good thing for us curling fans.

There's a page about the current coverage at http://wjcc2013.curlingevents.com/bringing-curling-to-the-world
    Reading between the lines it looks like Eurosport will bring us the pictures in Europe, and the WCF will geo-block Europe but show the games for free elsewhere.
    I am also aware that Eurosports contract ends shortly - but not sure when. If you have paid for Eurosport you should get a choice of two games to WCF's one.

Personally, if the WCF's streaming site could promise
    Mens + Women's Euros*
    Mens Worlds*
    Women's Worlds*
    European Mixed
    World Mixed
    World M + W Juniors*
    *=with choice of two (or more) live games
    and have everything available within a few hours in the "vault" I'd be more than happy to sub to their own site. £50 and you're in, less than £1/day. Especially with Laola covering their events (free). There would obviously have to eb no "geo-blocking", and the streams would have to be as high a quality as they have been so far.

So, big plus for the coverage :D What a difference from the previous effort @ the Euros :eek:
    Forum Member
    Wow, what a game (judging by the play by play scoreboard). Pity we only got to see the last stone of the tenth and the extra :mad:

Love Sara, but could have done without that interview with the Russian coach right in the middle of the extra end :D

But Scotland make it through :)
    Forum Member
    Wow, what a game (judging by the play by play scoreboard). Pity we only got to see the last stone of the tenth and the extra :mad:

Love Sara, but could have done without that interview with the Russian coach right in the middle of the extra end :D

But Scotland make it through :)

Yes, it looked like a fantastic game, and so I'm so pleased for the young Scots to make the final playing an excellent extra end. They would have been gutted to miss out after only missing by an inch or two for that second shot at the end of the tenth.
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I realise it's a Swedish company providing the feed and the host nation was playing but it's still a crazy logic that schedules the 3v4 game over the 1v2 and they're doing the same tomorrow with the junior girls so by my reckoning the only guarantee of seeing Scotland play again is if they beat Japan and make the final. The 2 semi-final matches are being played at the same time and from what Sander said today they are showing the junior mens match between Russia and Canada.

Anyway well done to the Scottish lads on reaching the final. It would've been a sore one to lose as I can imagine the Sochi air was blue after the final shot in the 10th end just failed to knock out the Canadian stone to win. ;)
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    There's a page about the current coverage at http://wjcc2013.curlingevents.com/bringing-curling-to-the-world
    Reading between the lines it looks like Eurosport will bring us the pictures in Europe, and the WCF will geo-block Europe but show the games for free elsewhere.
    I am also aware that Eurosports contract ends shortly - but not sure when. If you have paid for Eurosport you should get a choice of two games to WCF's one.

Personally, if the WCF's streaming site could promise
    Mens + Women's Euros*
    Mens Worlds*
    Women's Worlds*
    European Mixed
    World Mixed
    World M + W Juniors*
    *=with choice of two (or more) live games
    and have everything available within a few hours in the "vault" I'd be more than happy to sub to their own site. £50 and you're in, less than £1/day. Especially with Laola covering their events (free). There would obviously have to eb no "geo-blocking", and the streams would have to be as high a quality as they have been so far.

So, big plus for the coverage :D What a difference from the previous effort @ the Euros :eek:

Thanks for that Howard, even though you've sort of confirmed my worst fears. I know i shouldn't moan too much because there's more curling available now than there ever was before. I agree though that the way forward would seem to be the WCF taking more responsibilities and doing more themselves; Eurosport always seem to demote curling if there's a clash or overrun with another sport.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no resaon why the streams can't co-exist; don't think there are many like me that sub to ES simply for the curling, so if they've paid let them see it on any ES channel, but have the WCF's stream alongside - no reason why there can't be a sub for that either; and that would reach Europe and the rest of the world too.

IF ES worry that WCF's streams take away their viewers - they should look at themselves when the games are on but are curtailed, shown late, finals ignored and shown days later, and games simply not shown because underwater table-tennis is overrunning. We are VERY low down in their priorities, so give us our own streams WCF!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scots women beat Japan to go through to the final - with a few little heart flutters on the way! Final's tomorrow v Russia or Japan, 9am our time.
    Forum Member
    Two exciting comebacks by the Russian men and women teams makes it Sco v Rus in both finals.

Bring it on :p
    Forum Member
    To very different finals this morning then.

The boys with a runaway win in a final that they always had complete control of. Entirely justified World Champions; definitely the best team there this week.

The girls battled really hard in a very competitive game, but, as in the Scottish final, seemed to lose some focus in the second half of the game. Personally I always worry when they start blanking back-to-ends. You can always get out and then not have enough ends to get back in the game. As it was Hannah did really well to get the two to go the extra, but overall I think the Russian girls probably deserved the win as they didn't really miss anything important all game. Were they the best team in the competition though? Probably not, I feel a little sorry for Hannah and her team on that one.

Anyway, next game, and I really hope I can see it next week, is Team Muirhead against the Canadians. Tough start to a tournament :/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid I woke the whole neighbourhood up this morning with screams of "Take the one, Hannah...TAKE THE ONE!!!!".

I'm sure the stats show there are more steals in the last end than last-stone wins; so to get a duce of steals is far from impossible...but add to that a steal of 2 in the tenth would have won it outright!!
    And....she was unlikely to get a three in the 10th - so she would have needed a steal anyway.

But..great Scottish (with one year to go, let's call them GBR, huh??) weekend. Gold and Silver. Now, bring on the seniors!

GBR v CAN - 5pm GMT Sat 16th March. hope there's an Eurosport webcast!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV Schedule;
    http://wwcc2013.curlingevents.com/tv-broadcast-web-tv-coverage-schedule
    Yup, you guessed it. One of the favourites (Scotland) has one, just one guaranteed game. As predictable as it is pathetic.
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    TV Schedule;
    http://wwcc2013.curlingevents.com/tv-broadcast-web-tv-coverage-schedule
    Yup, you guessed it. One of the favourites (Scotland) has one, just one guaranteed game. As predictable as it is pathetic.

Whereas on the Player both Canada and Japan are shown every time they play.

Presumably their TV companies are the ones putting in the money but, even so, it's still a scandalous contempt shown to Scotland :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Presumably their TV companies are the ones putting in the money but, even so, it's still a scandalous contempt shown to Scotland :mad:

Can't see why they can't use one rink as the "chosen game" but have webcams situated on the other three for us. Webcams were fine @ Glynhill.
    Hope the stone-by-stone graph is available, in some ways it's better than the pictures as it gives more time to study the house. On a widescreen telly they could be put side-by-side!
    Forum Member
    Can anyone find a scoreboard?
    Forum Member
    Still no scoreboard up on the official site as of yet.

Scores can be followed here:-

http://www.curlingzone.com/event.php?view=Scores&eventid=2863&showdrawid=1
    Forum Member
    Still no scoreboard up on the official site as of yet.

Scores can be followed here:-

http://www.curlingzone.com/event.php?view=Scores&eventid=2863&showdrawid=1

There's also a scoreboard available at http://wwcc2013.curlingevents.com/. Though strangely, and disappointingly, there's no stone-by-stone graphic to follow. I hope that's just a temporary technical glitch as it seems bizarre to use it for the juniors then not use it for the senior WC.
    Forum Member
    There's also a scoreboard available at http://wwcc2013.curlingevents.com/. Though strangely, and disappointingly, there's no stone-by-stone graphic to follow. I hope that's just a temporary technical glitch as it seems bizarre to use it for the juniors then not use it for the senior WC.

That's odd, I was accessing the page with Firefox and the scores don't show. But after you posted I tried with IE and there they are :confused:

Yeah, no stone by stone is gonna be a huge bummer particularly when Scotland are playing.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

I can understand Canada (as its a huge sport there) - but why the demand in Japan?!

Still it makes a change from the endless coverage of the Germans - as used to be the case!
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I can understand Canada (as its a huge sport there) - but why the demand in Japan?!

Still it makes a change from the endless coverage of the Germans - as used to be the case!

There must be otherwise why would NHK be putting the money in?

They must get the viewing figures to make it worthwhile.
    Forum Member
    It looks to have been a cracking game between Russia and Germany. Andrea Shopp scoring three in the final end to win 11-9! The old lady still has the killer touch :eek:
    Forum Member
    It looks to have been a cracking game between Russia and Germany. Andrea Shopp scoring three in the final end to win 11-9! The old lady still has the killer touch :eek:

The models not so super today :(
    Forum Member

Looks like it is just a glitch.
    The official stats provider of the 2013 WWCC is Curlzone and the WCF media department is working hard to get the live results system online at the event website and we hope that this will happen very soon.
  • Drew PeacockDrew Peacock Posts: 12,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll run this old controversial chestnut up the flagpole ;) but if it was England and not Scotland doing well would there be more tv coverage?

Scotland having the edge against Canada in their one televised match.