[Game] The Mix Factor 4: Live Show #4

fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
Forum Member
Ladies and Gents of DS – I, your temporary host Roxie, welcome you to the 4th live show of The Mix Factor!

Last week, twelve acts sought to impress the judges with their craft. Tears were shed, emotions were touched during and it was up to you to decide how sounded least cheesy of all in the Eurovision theme. Tragically both of Pingu’s acts landed in the bottom 2 and Dionne Mitchell sadly left us. Now only 11 remain to fight for your votes!

Tonight we celebrate a decade of the X Factor. Through the endless scandals, cheap novelty acts and cheesy singing, there were some amazing singers and performances. Tonight we relive the memories as each act sings a song an XF act has sung before. I’ll post the song that the XF contestant sang and our own Mix Factor contestant will try to top that performance. Whose version will you prefer???

I’ve seen End of Sanity (i.e. Ricky) do this tons of times, so I’m going to do it too because I can. :p Please enjoy the high standard of music today as I introduce the judges with this unforgettable loco performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbOGmUAaW4w (who elses misses him?).

_NiallDEE_ and the groups
Alien Beat Club
Fifth Harmony
One Direction
Orpheus

unclekevo and the girls
Bella Ferraro
Melissa Heiduk
Milou van Egmond
Karoline

pingu58011
and the over 25s
Anna Wilson

Soppyfan and the boys
Josh Brookes
Raphael Herrerias

Judges, could you please confirm your presence if you're here? They're should only be one of you for the moment.

Comments

• SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're late...just kidding. ;)

I am here and yes, the boys and overs are almost extinct, so I'm gonna be more critical than before and fully back up my choices. Like I said before to the others at the launch, I will not hesitate to bite back. :D
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Sorry Sop, didn't know writing that wall of text would take so long. :eek:

Without further ado, let’s kick off the show tonight with a little song Matt Cardle epically covered back in Series 7:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OOHghPKK-o
    He is so cute…

Can Bella Ferraro slay and ride across a Yellow Brick Road faster than Matt?
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Sarah Blasko (Elton John cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIn7-9bJHFs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bella girl, you know I love you and your voice so much and you deserve to be here, but I have a few things to say about this. I like the simplicity of the song that was suited for you so well and the performance, but looking at your performances so far, it's starting to look like a bit samey and I don't want to start seeing that. Nonetheless though, it was a good opening to what will be a great show and you should be safe tonight.
    Forum Member
    Niall: Bella Ferraro

Bella, for me you really became a contender with last week's song choice and I think this was another great choice to back it up with. I think this particular arrangement of the song really suits you well, and the vocals are well suited to you as well with similar quirks to you in particular parts, and I can just imagine it being a really haunting and beautiful performance. You seem to be going from strength to strength in this competition, well done!

Penguin: Bella

Bella I thought that was not the greatest song choice. I thought at a lot of parts it didn`t sound like you as it was too deep for your voice, and the vocals weren`t the best. Sorry Bella but this is your worst performance to date. I really don`t know if you will be safe!!!

Uncle Kevin: Bella Ferraro

What a way to kick off the show! I decided to pick this song as a slight change of pace as we went for relatively slow, heartfelt tracks in the first two shows and then switched it up a bit last week. This something of a bridge between the first two weeks and last week, it's a lot faster paced than the previous weeks but perhaps has more of a build-up and a moment than last week. I thought this was brilliant, what I love about you is your ability to take a song and make it your own and you turned this Elton John classic into a really relevant, current, quirky performance. Your vocals were beautiful and your tone was sweet and pure. Great job!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the other three are not here tonight...not the first time I've gone through with this. :o
    Forum Member
    Such a jester today Steve, speaking of jokes - hope you enjoy my puns tonight - they're coming out in full force and no one's going to stop me. :p

Great comments from all except Pingu for Bella.

Now could we forget about our young, quirky, ‘right up my street’ diva Cher Lloyd?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvqkEVwdFco

Can Fifth Harmony succeed in telling Cher to viva la vida elsewhere!?:
    Viva La Vida by Solange (Coldplay cover)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0QwbyeAzMk
    Note: Starts around the 30 second mark, please try and imagine harmonies over the chorus
    Forum Member
    Niall: Fifth Harmony

Last week the comments you got were a bit lukewarm compared to what we usually expect, so I decided to go back to the R&B direction that got you such good comments before. I think this was another really great performance, it's such a well known and overplayed song but this version really allowed you to put your own spin and style on it and I think as an arrangement and version of this song it flowed and worked really well. Another great performance from you tonight girls, and I hope to see you safe again!

Penguin: Fifth Harmony

Girls last week I wasn`t keen on your performance. This week I was. I thought it suited all of your voices at parts, and I loved the harmonizes at the chorus. It was just an amazing performance, and I think you will be sailing through to next week!!!

Uncle Kevin: Fifth Harmony

Girls, this was always going to be tough because obviously it's hard not to be mainstream when the songs are all relatively maintstream. The song choice was a lot less predictable than I was expecting it to be so well done on that and it was nice to see you girls singing something different. Vocally, it was good and the harmonies were pretty tight but I think that the cover was kinda underwhelming, don't get me wrong, you sang it well but there was nothing 'wow' about it, it was just a fairly generic female cover of the song. I love you girls but this wasn't your best performance, all the same, congratulations and good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girls, I have to say that likewise with Bella, I have been a big fan of you and I always enjoy what you do. However this week, I wasn't a fan of the song choice I'm afraid. I could see that you were keeping it altogether especially with the harmonies and that is all good. But for me, it didn't feel as strong as it could've been. I really hope you girls haven't peaked too early after three amazing performances so far.
    Forum Member
    Oh dear looks like Fifth Harmony has gone from receiving great comments to lukewarm ones.

Next, remember the incredibly passionate (and strangely ruggedly attractive) Robbie Hance? The homeless man who unforgettably left his bootcamp performance after not knowing any of the words of the song (or it could be that the pressure got to him)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3ysT2bvwKg

Can Raphael Herrerias prove he’s got the more coconut-like skin texture? Soppy seems to think so:
    Cocunut Skins by Damien Rice
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKld_QNKH_U
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raphael my man, we had a goal this week which was to make you unpredictable and give people a surprise and this is what we worked with. Listening to you singing that makes me feel so relieved that I took a risk and show everyone (Kevin in particular) that you're not dull and you have a great dose of a performer. It was truly fantastic in my eyes and it was your best to date. I'm proud of you, boy.
    Forum Member
    Niall:

Raphael, I'm glad your mentor is starting to choose more interesting song choices for you now, especially as with this particular theme there was definitely the option to go very mainstream. I think this was another good performance and the song suited you pretty well, the only thing I'd say is it seems like you've done a guitar based ballad every week so I'd definitely like to see you do something different, but a good performance overall!

Pingu:

Raphael I thought that was a very nice performance. Your vocals were effortless, and it was just a really breathtaking performance that really captivated me and the audience by the looks of it. But, this week I really don`t know who will be in the bottom!!!

Uncle Kevin:

Erm Raphael, I'm kinda confused why your mentor gave you this song in the first place? Like, it's nice to see you changing direction but you don't sound remotely like Damien Rice, your style is nothing like his. Damien has a husky acoustic voice, you're far more pop influenced, the song was nice but I feel like you were spending most of the performance trying to force a Damien Rice-esque tone and as a result, any sort of emotional meaning of the song was sort of lost. It was a decent performance I suppose but the song choice just didn't cut it, I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    Again this time everyone but Kevin liked Raphael's performance!

Ugh…remember this disastrous performance of a really well-known song by Kye Sones?:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEd_4G7xQgE

Can our Milou van Egmond actually sing in key unlike our Kye?
    Love The Way You Lie by Nina Nesbitt (Rihanna/Skylar Gray cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5W0YVzyEk
    Forum Member
    Niall

Milou, I've been full of praise for you every week now, I think your mentor generally really gets you as an artist and has been doing a great job with you so far. I think this was another good choice for you in terms of suitability, I can definitely hear distinct similarities between yours and Nina Nesbitt's voice - however, I don't know what it is but I just really don't like this song, I think this song has been covered so many times that it's hard to add anything new to it, but I just find this version really dull. I think it's probably my least performance from you so far, although I think you've been great every week so that's not really a bad thing.

Pingu

Milou I really enjoyed that. You have actually put me in tears because you gave so much emotion in the song. That could have been a winner`s performance it was that great. Amazing, and I am so happy I got to see that as a judge!!!

Uncle Kevin

Milou, I decided to choose this because I think Nina's tranquil voice is very reminiscent of yours, she has a very pure tone and there's something quite innocent about the way you delivered that song. It gave it something very special, something that dare I say felt somewhat missing in the original, you gave the track an added edge. I was left with goosebumps by the end, your tone is beautiful and your voice is absolutely divine, wow you absolutely blew me away Milou, you really did. I absolutely adored this, you need to be here next week Milou, you really do, I absolutely loved this, it was outstanding and very moving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Response to Raphael's performance: Kev...I give up with you! :rolleyes:

Anyways...I have to disagree with Naill. Milou, that was a very lovely song to go with and I'm really glad that it was this version as I feel the original is terrible (Just saying). It really showed off your voice and the piano playing made you look like a professional compared to what we've seen so far. It's taken a few shows but tonight was your best performance to date. Well done Milou!
    Forum Member
    And once again the judges can't agree, but what is the public's opinion?

Wow – remember this hauntingly amazing performance of this great song by Miss Misha B – the night she was sabotaged by Tulisa?:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFpyM7yzPtA

Can Melissa Heiduk’s version of this song be any less tainted than Misha’s? Can she stop herself from being sabotaged, especially by the judges' comments?:
    Tainted Love by Imelda May (Gloria Jones cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOgSdc8OAI
    Forum Member
    Niall:

I love Imelda May so that was an immediate hook for me as soon as I saw the song title! This was a really interesting song choice for you and one I think worked really well actually, it definitely enabled you to have some fun and give a really great performance which is when I think you're in your element, and I think Imelda suits you in the sense that you both have quite deep and soulful vocals. Good job!

Penguin:

I actually enjoyed that Melissa. You were sassy, and you definitely put on a show. You had me entertained, and once again I thought your vocals were good.. Another good performance.

Uncle Kevin:

Melissa, that was a brilliant performance, I wanted to show your energy this week so I went with something slightly different. You haven't had that many energetic performances so far and I think this song really showed that, what I love about your voice is its' bluesy, rocky edge and Imelda May is the perfect artist for this. She has that sort of Blues-Rock feel to her performances and I loved this cover for you, when you let go towards the end, it was incredible, definitely one of the highlights of the competition so far Melissa. Forget next week, you deserve to be here for a long long time to come!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I must've been watching something different. Melissa...I loved the energy and the staging, it got me moving and all. But the song choice itself was...odd. That wasn't the Melissa I was enjoying back at the beginning and yes, you got to be totally upbeat but it just wasn't you and I wasn't a fan of this style. Not your best performance I'm afraid and you could be heading home tonight.
    Forum Member
    And this time Steve swoops in to deliver the bad news, do you the public think Melissa was good? And more importantly will you judges ever agree? Don't forget to vote at the end of the show!:

Now, lets go back a year ago when the show was warmer and it had cute guy after cute guy coming to preform, here’s Matt Defreitas:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceMBkQPzPaU

Can Orpheus be part of the Seven Nation Army and actually make a decent cover of this otherwise hacked apart cover magnet song?
    Seven Nation Army by Ben L'oncle Soul (The White Stripes cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDNG4ewIkXk
    Note: Once again this will work with each member having a solo part in the verses and harmonising over the chorus.
    Forum Member
    Niall:

I really wanted to use a Ben L'oncle Soul song for you guys sometime in this competition, and with his repertoire of amazing covers, this was the perfect week for it! I'm really glad I picked this song for you as I think it suits you so well but also allows you to give a more interesting performance to what you've given before, which I think is something that's been picked up on before by other judges. I really hope people vote for you as you deserve it and I love picking songs for you guys!

Penguin:

I thought that was on okay choice for you boys, but one that could have been picked very quickly. If I thought of you and picked one song from x-factor this is what I would think of straight away. Overall though it was a good performance tonight boys, but I have a feeling about the bottom 2 for you!!

Uncle Kevin:

This was pretty great guys, I won't lie, when I saw the song choice, I knew exactly what cover it would be as this Ben L'Oncle Soul version has been used before in these games but I won't hold that against you. The question is was it suitable and it really was, this was probably the performance that I had been waiting on from you guys. Vocally, it was brilliant and your harmonies were really tight, I loved the retro-soul feel of the performance, it was great. My only minor issue is that I feel like the cover sort of dilutes the spunk of the song and makes it feel a bit like relaxing background music in a supermarket or something, like I imagine going around and getting my groceries with songs like this playing in the background, they're easy listening. That in itself creates the issue that I don't think it was a particularly good song for the performance aspect but I liked it so well done!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boys, I'm gonna have to disagree with Pingu on this one. I think that was a very clever song choice from your mentor this week, the arrangement and the parts were completely nailed. You've been a bit of a hit-and-miss act so far, but I believe that your mentor has got you spot on tonight and this is the style he needs to take you down to and I hope that continues, great job boys.
    Forum Member
    Kevin thinks hit and miss, Soppy disagrees with Pingu that it was a clever song choice and Niall loves picking songs for Orpheus! What about you? If you liked them don't forget to vote!

Remember the breakthrough performance of a certain girl group, one which was the first step to breaking the curse of the groups category? …Here’s Little Mix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aqtJDgUtJ4

Do One Direction make you throw hissy fits about how you feel like you’re an ET – taking you to the boy band dimension rather than the girl group world?:
    ET by At Sunset (Katy Perry cover)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz2aZG7rjBk
    Forum Member
    Niall:

This is actually now the third time you guys have done a cover of a mainstream song! However I think once again this has allowed me to show a different side to you, you keep mixing things up each week which I think is really great. I think the vocals in this cover suited you so well and there's nothing much else I can say except I thought it was really great Vote for One Direction!

Penguin:

Right boys, even though you sound a little like Union J, I think your mentor is picking songs that suit them better and sound more like them. I also didn`t see many harmonizes there. I do like you boys, but I think next week if you are here, your mentor should pick songs that have a bit of a deeper voice to sound more like you!!

Uncle Kevin:

I kind of had to suppress my own personal preferences when it came to this performance guys because I feel like this cover sucked all the energy out of the song. In fact, I positively despise this cover, everything that I loved about the Katy Perry original was sucked out of the song in this cover, it literally felt like the singer was a singing zombie but, despite that, it was a pretty good cover for you guys! See I actually think the vocals were perfect for you and despite the fact that I despise the song sounding like this, I do think you guys would pull it off. I won't go mad and say that I loved it, the arrangement of the song just made me feel depressed but it was a good vocal performance!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the words of Nicole, I don't know what the smack-talking's about because boys, that was an amazing song choice and if I'm honest, I would've gone with that cover too had I got the groups so I can understand why Naill chose this one. For me, it was a great choice and it showed off your vocals which is what I've been wanting from you for a while, so I'm happy I got to hear it in full. A really great performance tonight, boys, well done to you.
    Forum Member
    Judging and hypnotic Louis Tomlinson bias aside, I love Niall's 1D! What about you lot out there? If you enjoyed them as much as I do all the time then vote at the end of the show!

Remember James and his quirky style and how he James Arthured every song he did, well here he is at his finest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyjUXjKf0Bo

Can Anna Wilson hauntingly enchant us with as many sweet dreams as we had about James Arthur (I don't even know what I mean anymore)?
    Sweet Dreams by The Engagements (Eurhythmics cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqVmNdtapbc
    Note: Just listen to the voice which is clearer. The one on the right of us. The other is the backing singer
    Forum Member
    Niall:

Anna, I've been a big fan of you in this competition but I must admit I did think you had an awful week last week and deserved to be in the bottom 2, but I really wanted you to make a big comeback this week. I think when I first started watching the video I thought this was going to be a really strange choice for you, although when I first heard the woman singing she almost sounded exactly like you so I think this was a good find from your mentor! I think this is definitely the type of song I can see you performing, so good job!

Penguin:

Anna my amazing princess. Last week you were in the bottom, but you have come back from that stronger than ever. That performance you have just done was amazing. Once again you owned the stage, and made the song your own. It sounded like you, and you just had he Anna Wilson effect on the song. It was amazing, and you have definitely entertained. I just hope the viewers were, and they vote for you!!

Uncle Kevin:

Anna, I actually think the backing of the song sounded really good, it sounded like something that you could feasibly hear on the show and I was able to imagine you performing the song. Unfortunately, the vocals were pretty average if I'm being honest, the problem is that vocalist pretty much just did her best Annie Lennox and her best Annie Lennox was by all means, nothing special. I just feel that the whole performance felt really dull, I've seen 1000's of people sing that song in the exact same manner and nothing about the cover made me think 'Woah, that's impressive'. It was a pretty unremarkable cover, it just sort of served to show how you would perform the song and the performance was just okay.