Wii internet connection by wireless dongle

Anyone tried to connect Nintendo Wii to internet via VM broadband.I am using datel WiFi Max. I keep getting error 52030, sometimes 52031. Have been onto Nintendo site – useless. Have emailed Datel – useless. I’m led to believe it’s my firewall. Turned off PC Guard completely. Error still appears. Have tried changing PC settings – still same message appears. Anyone got any suggestions??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Check the level of encryption, I think the wii ony work upto 128bit wep. Turn it off if it is enabled and try that.

What OS are you running. Vista will cause problems as well..

Ha.. Just read this.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B000OQ8GWO ... Get rid of it and buy a wireless router for £25...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    UK-Gadget,
    thanks for the reply. Ive read elsewhere (apart from your link) that the Datel WiFi Max is crap. I'll buy a different dongle or router and try that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HDWells wrote: »
    UK-Gadget,
    thanks for the reply. Ive read elsewhere (apart from your link) that the Datel WiFi Max is crap. I'll buy a different dongle or router and try that.

Just get a new router. I don't quite understand why you need a dongle as the Wii is wifi enabled. Are you tying to connect to the net through your Pc?
    No doubt once you do get connected you'll only be disappointed anyway. Wii online is crap!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Never had a problem with this and I use the inbuilt wifi connection for the Wii. It connects to my Netgear wieless router seemlessly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    Ryrazzer wrote: »
    Just get a new router. I don't quite understand why you need a dongle as the Wii is wifi enabled. Are you tying to connect to the net through your Pc?
    No doubt once you do get connected you'll only be disappointed anyway. Wii online is crap!

The dongle is basically a router, but it plugs into the PC and shares the PCs internet connection. Just easier to set up really, for network n00bs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    Ryrazzer wrote: »
    Wii online is crap!
    Not entirely! I enjoy the odd race on Mario Kart via the net!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Anyone tried to connect Nintendo Wii to internet via VM broadband.I am using datel WiFi Max. I keep getting error 52030, sometimes 52031. Have been onto Nintendo site – useless. Have emailed Datel – useless. I’m led to believe it’s my firewall. Turned off PC Guard completely. Error still appears. Have tried changing PC settings – still same message appears. Anyone got any suggestions??

I get this error message sometimes - I use Nintendos own dongle (I have no wireless router) and its usually down to the firewall. Can you turnoff the firewall itself from windows control panel and then try it - usually works for me, even though I've added the Wii to the granted exceptions list!!!

Sometimes when a connection is established then you can turn the firewall back on and its still works ok!
  • grunsongrunson Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Anyone tried to connect Nintendo Wii to internet via VM broadband.I am using datel WiFi Max. I keep getting error 52030, sometimes 52031. Have been onto Nintendo site – useless. ... Anyone got any suggestions??

I can't comment on the Datel but...

I've only had my Wii a couple of days. The first night I connected it to my wireless network with no problem whatsover, using a dynamic IP address from my router. The next morning I tweaked things so that my router allocated a specific IP address to my Wii but it was still using DHCP and it still worked. In the afternoon I started getting connection errors with 52030 being a favourite. I changed to a static IP address and all was well. I've had one glitch today where a game couldn't connect but a connection test immediately following it worked and then so did the game but otherwise all is well.

There seem to be three things that often seem to cure Wii connection problems.

1) As with me, using a static IP address in the Wii instead of being a DHCP client. My Wii is no longer interested in working with DHCP, though I haven't tried removing the specific IP address (though I can't see what difference it should make). There does seem to be a feeling that something is not quite as it should be about the Wii DHCP implementation. This certainly seems to deal with the 52030 errors for me.

2) There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that setting the wireless access point to use channels 1 or 11 can make things work. I've not tried that as I use channel 6 and want to stay doing so. This doesn't necessarily apply to the 52030 type errors, just inability to connect in general.

3) There seems to be a lot of confusion over whether the Wii supports 802.11b, 802.11g or both. Nintendo claim the latter. However many people have found that making sure their wireless access point uses a 'mixed mode' supporting b and g rather than just g cures their problems. I've found the Wii is quite happy in 802.11g mode in my router, and certainly varying the mode didn't prevent my 52030 errors.

Exploring the net does give you the impression that the Wii isn't as good as it should be as a wireless device.

G.