Sony to support PS3 until at least 2015

fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
Forum Member
✭✭
Sony have confirmed that the PS3 will be supported with first-party software for at least another 3 years.

What do you think this means for the future of the system?

Would such an announcement encourage you or put you off investing in the system if you weren't already an owner?

Is this Sony's first real admission that a replacement system is on the way?

Assuming PS3 and PS4 will co-exist for a while (let's say 2 years) does this confirm a 2013 debut for the PS4?

What do you think?

Comments

• TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony have confirmed that the PS3 will be supported with first-party software for at least another 3 years.

What do you think this means for the future of the system?

Would such an announcement encourage you or put you off investing in the system if you weren't already an owner?

Is this Sony's first real admission that a replacement system is on the way?

Assuming PS3 and PS4 will co-exist for a while (let's say 2 years) does this confirm a 2013 debut for the PS4?

What do you think?

I don't think I'll get a PS4 straight away. I'll wait and see what people think first and wait until there are some titles I want so probably 2014 before I replace the PS3.... unless the PS4 doesn't play PS3/PSN purchased content, in which case I'll be keeping it forever.

I do think the PS4 will be with us late 2014/early 2015.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Sony released first party titles for the PS2 last year.

Unsure if there were any this year, however.

I would have thought them saying that is to assure people that once the PS4 drops next year, the PS3 will still get games, so buy our new profitable version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PS4 is gonna have to be something bloody special. I certainly won't be buying it straight away. PS3 still blows me away at times.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once I have a PS4 setup and running I won't bother with the PS3, I know this because the same happened when I went from PS1 to PS2, PS2 to PS3.

So if the PS4 is out 2014, I buy 12 months later (2015) perfect!

My PS3 will mostly likely become nothing more than a Bluray player, a fitting retirement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once I get a PS4 (which won't be until after the first price cut at least) I will 'retire' my PS3 to the bedroom as a second blu-ray player (providing PS4 runs blu-ray of course)
  • Dino MDino M Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will probably be odds on that PS4 will be running blu ray. I cannot see how it cannot as how else are they going to have games that are more advanced than PS3 without them being blu ray.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah hope it does blu-ray. Obviously a faster speed read though by then.
  • Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless they come up with a new type of disc (and I can't see a point to doing that) then it's got to be blu-ray. Blu-Ray discs come in massive sizes now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it does have a Blu-Ray drive, then they better allow us to play PS3 games on it.

I really hope so.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That will come down to what chipset they go with mainly though. By all accounts its leaning towards not using CELL and equally not convinced the next hardware would be so super fast that it could emulate the current PS3.
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    That will come down to what chipset they go with mainly though. By all accounts its leaning towards not using CELL and equally not convinced the next hardware would be so super fast that it could emulate the current PS3.

Power 7 would be close enough to the cell processor to emulate it.
  • monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS4 is gonna have to be something bloody special. I certainly won't be buying it straight away. PS3 still blows me away at times.

the ps3 was a power monster when it game out, the ps4 will be a wet lettuce i will have to see what it is like before i change up as it wont be the big leap from ps2 to ps3 and we have already got hd graphics and online gaming so slightly more hd wont be a big enough draw especially using off the peg pc components
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    If it does have a Blu-Ray drive, then they better allow us to play PS3 games on it.

I really hope so.

nope it wont be backwards compatible
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I could see PS4 not being much more powerful than PS3
  • Dino MDino M Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally cannot see the need for the PS4, as has already been stated, we have a blu ray drive, we have HD and online gaming, so not sure what the PS4 is going to offer to be that attractive to people.

The other thing is if it is not backwards compatible as well, then I cannot see there being a big market for it, as it is not going to have loads of games on release and it is predominately a games console.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Built in freeview had / 1tb-2tb drive support / psn games get transferred / backwards compatibility (at least for psn ps3 games - I'm buying on / near launch
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably won't get PS4 have lost interest in games now and my PS3 is mainly used as a Blu Ray and media player.
    I don't know how popular PS4 will be as we are now in recession so wonder if they will still sell lots?
    What more can they add to it than what the PS3 all ready has?
    The graphics are still good enough maybe have 4 or 8 K but that won't be much use yet.
    It would be nice if it was quieter as my 80GB PS3 seems quite noisy.
    Blu Ray is still a good format and maybe they could have the PS4 do 4 to 8 K blu ray disks that is all I can really think off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nope it wont be backwards compatible

Not sure how you can say that when there's been nothing officially released about the details of a PS4 :rolleyes:
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    yeah hope it does blu-ray. Obviously a faster speed read though by then.

There's a faster read speed now! Modern Blu-ray drives are 10x Read Speed compared to the PS3's 2x Read Speed. Obviously they can't change drive stats now, rarely would a company ever do that post launch, but yeah, if they DID use the 10x drives in the PS3, that would really sort out any streaming problems or Install requirements!

edit: Scratch that, there's now 12x BD drives on the market!
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    There's a faster read speed now! Modern Blu-ray drives are 10x Read Speed compared to the PS3's 2x Read Speed. Obviously they can't change drive stats now, rarely would a company ever do that post launch, but yeah, if they DID use the 10x drives in the PS3, that would really sort out any streaming problems or Install requirements!

edit: Scratch that, there's now 12x BD drives on the market!

....and if they utilise the BDXL format for the next console they'll be able to more than double the current PS3 disc capacity up to 128GB. Handy for all that extra geometry and texture detail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    Not sure how you can say that when there's been nothing officially released about the details of a PS4 :rolleyes:

yeah, because they really want to kill off the ps3 as soon as the ps4 comes out and also this isnt going to be a powerhouse like the ps3 was its just going to be a cheaper console e.g. no cell processor inside:rolleyes:
  • spyrojam86spyrojam86 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I think that the Playstation 3 is excellent enough to deserve being supported by Sony until at least 2015! :cool:
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah, because they really want to kill off the ps3 as soon as the ps4 comes out and also this isnt going to be a powerhouse like the ps3 was its just going to be a cheaper console e.g. no cell processor inside:rolleyes:
    Sony won't kill off the PS3 when the PS4 launches. It's a profitable revenue stream which will replace the PS2 as an entry level console in many markets such as South America which only had the PS2 launch there officially about 2yrs ago.

As for the PS4 specs, who knows. The Cell is much cheaper to make now than it was in 2006.