Harry J the Liquidator RIP

RBRB Posts: 352
Forum Member
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/entertainment/Harry-J--the-Liquidator--dies

Reggae producer famous for the Liquidator and 60s and 70s reggae hits passes away aged 68

Comments

• RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Aw, what a shame,rip.

Cool song imo.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5WRXmJaIcO8
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    think 'liquidator' is my all time fav reggae hit, and my second fav track from 69 (beaten by jackie wilson higher and higher).

pity he never followed up, or didnt produce another hit ..
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shame - still heard at a lot of football grounds, I expect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Er....

Young Gifted And Black by Bob & Marcia (Bob Andy & Marcia Griffiths) a UK number one chart smash a couple of years later in 1971 was produced by Harry Johnson!

He produced hundreds of great tracks in the 60s, 70s and 80s but as is the case with reggae music, it's only the occasional catchy tune that appeals to the general public.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GordyR wrote: »
    Er....

Young Gifted And Black by Bob & Marcia (Bob Andy & Marcia Griffiths) a UK number one chart smash a couple of years later in 1971 was produced by Harry Johnson!

He produced hundreds of great tracks in the 60s, 70s and 80s but as is the case with reggae music, it's only the occasional catchy tune that appeals to the general public.

actually, young gifted and black was a #5 in march 1970, just a couple of months after 'liquidator' left the charts...:p:D

edit... upon checking, the liquidators last week in the charts (original run) was @ #35 w/e 21/2/70. ygab first week was 3 weeks later, 14/3/70 :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Ah my bad, I got it mixed up with Double Barrel, both massive hits :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GordyR wrote: »
    Ah my bad, I got it mixed up with Double Barrel, both massive hits :)

i used to like ygab, but not so much now... double barrel though sounds as great today if not greater then it did then. :)