Wii U....What are your first impressions?

12346»

Comments

• rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    The prices GAME and HMV are charging are ridiculous. £55 for ZombieU and £45 for NSMBU. Then they are charging over £300 for console bundles and not letting you buy the consoles separately...

Is it any wonder that software sales are down 26% on last year? They just seem to keep bumping the prices up and up. A few years a go you were looking at £35 tops for a game, now that's cheap!

I got my Wii U last week, on Monday I wanted some more games for it. I wanted them asap so I decided to go shopping rather than order online. I'd already been looking around online so I knew the prices. I was shocked to see Epic Mickey and Mario for £50 each in Game when I could get them for £15 and £12 cheaper on Game's own website!

I brought them on amazon in the end and save £30 over all for both games. I won't get them till next week now but I'd rather wait a week than waste £30.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of a proper mario, zelda or metroid should have made a release day lauch, but nintendo took the easy route of a port of a 2D mario game but guess with their console making a "loss":rolleyes: guess there is no money in the pot to actually spend on new game development.

With over 10 billion dollars in the company pot, money isn't the issue. There are several game design departments, all under EAD....trust me, no company would have all the members of those departments sitting around idle. They're most lilely working on something, otherwise, they would have been disbanded.

Could it just be that there are other issues involved in not having a Zelda game or other franchise at launch? Or perhaps you're just more privy to Nintendo's internal working than the rest of us, because with the level of certainty that you talk about the subject, you must do...either that or you're just talking rubbish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    With over 10 billion dollars in the company pot, money isn't the issue. There are several game design departments, all under EAD....trust me, no company would have all the members of those departments sitting around idle. They're most lilely working on something, otherwise, they would have been disbanded.

Could it just be that there are other issues involved in not having a Zelda game or other franchise at launch? Or perhaps you're just more privy to Nintendo's internal working than the rest of us, because with the level of certainty that you talk about the subject, you must do...either that or you're just talking rubbish.

I doubt it very much, its all down to $$$$.a brand new console from nintendo needed a big name release day nintendo game, but they failed to deliver.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »

Could it just be that there are other issues involved in not having a Zelda game or other franchise at launch?
    I doubt it very much, its all down to $$$$.a brand new console from nintendo needed a big name release day nintendo game, but they failed to deliver.

You'd be lucky to see a Zelda game at launch. These things take about 5 years to make, start to finish. Even if they started planning it 3 years ago, you're still looking at another 2 years before a fully fledged Zelda game arrives on Wii U. The fact that they're working with brand new hardware might make it even longer.

Twilight Princess on Wii was the first (only?) time that a Zelda game was a Nintendo console launch title. This was only possible because it was an adaptation of the GameCube game with Wii control added on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And you know this as a fact because?
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Nintendo in its current form struggle to support two live consoles. I think the handheld will always be #1 priority as that is there core business.

What they should be doing is buying more studios to share the load.
  • samtmansamtman Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nintendo have always had a console and a handheld out about the same time. Why would this be any different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    The prices GAME and HMV are charging are ridiculous. £55 for ZombieU and £45 for NSMBU. Then they are charging over £300 for console bundles and not letting you buy the consoles separately...

Is it any wonder that software sales are down 26% on last year? They just seem to keep bumping the prices up and up. A few years a go you were looking at £35 tops for a game, now that's cheap!

Sales of this console must be so low. I don't know of anyone that has or wants one. My kids don't have a single friend that owns one either. It's very hard to believe when you compare this to the old Wii console http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7094069.stm .

It's great that Nintendo have an original HD console, but the price for the console and the games is just too much.

In the long term I think they'll recover by dropping the price, but it's a shame they didn't create the same buzz on day one that they did with the old console.
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bandos wrote: »
    Sales of this console must be so low. I don't know of anyone that has or wants one. My kids don't have a single friend that owns one either. It's very hard to believe when you compare this to the old Wii console http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7094069.stm .

It's great that Nintendo have an original HD console, but the price for the console and the games is just too much.

In the long term I think they'll recover by dropping the price, but it's a shame they didn't create the same buzz on day one that they did with the old console.
    http://wiiudaily.com/2013/01/data-suggests-wii-u-has-sold-2-million-units-since-launch/

According to VGChartz the Wii U has sold 80% as well as the Wii did in its first month on the market. The Wii U so far has sold just over 2 millions units [the Wii sold about 2.4 million in the same space of time]. Now, considering the fact that we weren't in a major recession in 2006 and that the Wii cost only £179, you can see why it sold as well as it did.

As for the Wii U being "overpriced", I really don't think it is. Considering a 12GB PS3 will set you back £160, the Wii U's price isn't too bad - especially now that you can get the Premium Pack for less than £250.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bandos wrote: »

It's great that Nintendo have an original HD console, but the price for the console and the games is just too much.In the long term I think they'll recover by dropping the price, but it's a shame they didn't create the same buzz on day one that they did with the old console.

Fully agree but it looks like already the console is dipping in price. People have been put off by the high price reflected in poor sales. If they had pitched it around 50 quid cheaper it would have been a total success.

And the console is HD but at the moment there is not many games taking advantage of that. Have seen many games on the WiiU and IMO graphics look better on the Xbox360 and how old is that console now? hopefully we will start to see games that can take advantage of the WiiU hardware graphically anot not just focus on gampad design only.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    http://wiiudaily.com/2013/01/data-suggests-wii-u-has-sold-2-million-units-since-launch/

According to VGChartz the Wii U has sold 80% as well as the Wii did in its first month on the market. The Wii U so far has sold just over 2 millions units [the Wii sold about 2.4 million in the same space of time]. Now, considering the fact that we weren't in a major recession in 2006 and that the Wii cost only £179, you can see why it sold as well as it did.

As for the Wii U being "overpriced", I really don't think it is. Considering a 12GB PS3 will set you back £160, the Wii U's price isn't too bad - especially now that you can get the Premium Pack for less than £250.

Worldwide sales figures are not bad, but I'd like to see the UK sale figures, old Wii vs new Wii. 5 years ago the demand was massive, now I haven't spoken to a single person that has one or wants one.

If the hardware is not overpriced then the games certainly are, I've seen totally unheard of titles at £45.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fully agree but it looks like already the console is dipping in price.

The fact that people have been buying the premium pack over the basic pack, tells a slightly different story.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

VGChartz cant be trusted. They are not an accurate source. The only accurate sources we have are charttrack in Europe, NPD in the US and mediacreate in Japan.

We know in Japan they have done around 640k in 3 weeks which isnt bad. Sales will drop off now as there is no new software but it depends on how big the drop off is. It sold 76k last week so this week will be interesting. If it can stay above 70k that will be very good.

In The US it did 400k at launch. We will get the 2nd months sales later this week. If it does 600k+ then that will be ok.

In the UK and Europe is where the sales seem to be really low. We dont get the hardware sales in Europe only software so the only thing we can go from is how nintendoland is performing as bundles are included. Nintendoland's sales are really bad so it looks like the the Wii U is really struggling in Europe. Not struggling but really bombing. Nintendoland isnt even in the weekly top 40 charts which would mean the hardware sales are shockingly low.

The price isnt the problem. A price drop will only be a short term fix. The lack of software is the main problem. Too many 3rd party ports of old games which are overpriced when they can be picked up cheaply on the PS3/360.

The marketing has been horrible and only leads to confusion as people dont know if its a new console or a wii add on. With no new killer software coming in the next couple of months the sales are going to stay low.
    Nintendo have always had a console and a handheld out about the same time. Why would this be any different.

Because its not just about games now. Its everything else which comes with it. OS, UI, online and games take longer to develop now. If they purchased some studios who could develop new IPs it would help as nintendo cant rely on third party support in the west.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone getting Ninja Gaiden 3 on WiiU, i'm not the greatest player but if anyone needs a Co-op partner than give me an add, mentioning Ninja Gaiden so i know why you have added me

Thomas2400 is my tag
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Is anyone getting Ninja Gaiden 3 on WiiU, i'm not the greatest player but if anyone needs a Co-op partner than give me an add, mentioning Ninja Gaiden so i know why you have added me

Thomas2400 is my tag

I added ou but you have not accepted yet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Really? :confused: there is no friend requests and i've accepted every one i've received
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's best to add someone through Miiverse, as they get a friend request, the same way you would through Facebook, rather than having to wait for the other person to add your username back.
  • Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised that Lovefilm is on HD through the wii u. I have a ps3 as well and the difference watching on the U is amazing. Well pleased:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Hugh wrote: »
    Just realised that Lovefilm is on HD through the wii u. I have a ps3 as well and the difference watching on the U is amazing. Well pleased:)

Dont think it is, according to lovefilm HD films on the WiiU will come later this year.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think it is, according to lovefilm HD films on the WiiU will come later this year.

Netflix says "Super HD" on some of their programmes though. No idea what Super HD is xD
  • CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Netflix says "Super HD" on some of their programmes though. No idea what Super HD is xD

'SuperHD' is their marketing spin for Full 1080p HD.
  • Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh :o.

I was watching a kids programme with my son called Ben and Holly on the WiiU and it indicated at the start that it was on HD.

Certainly the picture was much more vibrant and sharp than when viewed through the PS3 in the other room.

I haven't watched a film on it yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Hugh wrote: »
    Oh :o.

I was watching a kids programme with my son called Ben and Holly on the WiiU and it indicated at the start that it was on HD.

Certainly the picture was much more vibrant and sharp than when viewed through the PS3 in the other room.

I haven't watched a film on it yet.

Yeah it says its HD but its not, I spoke to lovefilm about it and they confirmed no movies streaming to the wiiu are in HD at present. I rang up because I watched a couple of things that were clearly not HD even though lovefilm on the WiiU said they were so I wanted to find out why.