Anybody know whats up with my tv

barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Basically my tv keeps fragmenting/pausing in sound and the part of the screen goes a little blurry (like when a photo is censored) for a couple of seconds and then it comes back again.

Is it my tv or is it something else?

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like the signal is very low.
    Might be a problem with your aerial or dish, or the cables, or might just be due to very bad weather, or even some problem with the tuner.

Try another TV (or set-top box if that's what you are using) on the same aerial lead.
    If the other TV or box is fine, then there's a problem with the tuner.
    If the other TV is the same, then the problem is with the aerial/dish or cabling.
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    Sounds like the signal is very low.
    Might be a problem with your aerial or dish, or the cables, or might just be due to very bad weather, or even some problem with the tuner.

Try another TV (or set-top box if that's what you are using) on the same aerial lead.
    If the other TV or box is fine, then there's a problem with the tuner.
    If the other TV is the same, then the problem is with the aerial/dish or cabling.

Nah we dont have any box

We have the tv which is connected to a point in the wall with an aerial cable.

It only has been happening with BBC3 so far.
    Sky news was fine. This had never happened so i am worried if its the tv.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was the TV chances are it would affect every channel. What about the other BBC channels (excluding the two HD ones if you have them) do they break up like BBC 3? They are all on the same mux so if there is something affecting that mux then all the BBC channels should be affected.

Is it a communal system (ie a single aerial on the roof of a block of flats distributed to all flats) or is the wall plate connected to your own aerial on the roof or in the loft?

If the aerial is in the loft then have you changed anything up there, eg moved stuff about or stuck more stuff in there. That could have an effect on the aerial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If it was the TV chances are it would affect every channel. What about the other BBC channels (excluding the two HD ones if you have them) do they break up like BBC 3? They are all on the same mux so if there is something affecting that mux then all the BBC channels should be affected.

Is it a communal system (ie a single aerial on the roof of a block of flats distributed to all flats) or is the wall plate connected to your own aerial on the roof or in the loft?

If the aerial is in the loft then have you changed anything up there, eg moved stuff about or stuck more stuff in there. That could have an effect on the aerial.

erm it is a block of flats. i think its a single ariel for all flats. we have a point in our wall which we connect an aerial cable to. i think i will investigate all channels

i think 4 music was fine today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

Yeah BBC 1 was breaking up as well. ITV was perfect though and no breaking up.

Is it something that requires an engineer or does this go overtime?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a list of channels here

http://www.dmol.co.uk/channels/post_switchover

the list shows which mux each channel is on. So if you get several channels on one mux breaking up consistently that might indicate a problem receiving that mux.

Another possibility is some source of random interference. That could affect channels at random and it might also be intermittent. Things like central heating thermostats or boiler controls are common culprits as they can generate all sorts of garbage as things switch on and off. As can anything electrical switching on and off.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flats with a shared aerial often have problems with reception.