Why has JLS's new album bombed?

tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's at #24 on the iTunes chart and the single ('hottest girl in the world') hasn't done too well either (despite an XF performance).

I wasn't keen on the single at all but is the fact that they are not improving musically showing?

Comments

• TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because JLS are a pile of festering shite.
  • pikeurpikeur Posts: 1,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While it wont do as well as their previous 3 album i think it will make the top 5 on Sunday unfortunately their physical sales will be high. I would love the album to miss the top 20 myself as i dont like them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyr wrote: »

Lovin' your work Tyr. :D
  • OrigCoolKidOrigCoolKid Posts: 219
    Forum Member

Amen to that
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Jukebox campaign painted them as unoriginal and fairly generic.

She Makes Me Wanna, while a hit, was ripped apart as a paint-by-numbers type mainstream song.
    Take a Chance on Me was soppy and uneventful, once again paint-by-numbers-boyband-ballad type song.
    Do You Feel What I Feel, failed, and just didn't take off in a busy pre-Christmas market. I don't think it stood out enough.
    And Proud... despite being a charity single there wasn't much of a reason to buy it. They had lost their hype, and 1D were emerging as THE X Factor boyband.

Evolution does seem to be a progression, but most won't give them the chance. When you think of it as well, Marvin, the member usually identified as the hottest, is now married, so off limits to fans. Aston has a girlfriend, so do the others. They just lost their appeal.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can hardly say it's bombed when we haven't even had even the first midweek update yet, never mind know how it's going to sell in the long run! It's easily going to be Top 5 on Sunday.

Saying that I do think it's the beginning of the end and there will be a good chance of them splitting after their Greatest Hits next year. And I do think their decline is down to them just releasing pure shite ever since Album 2 aswell; and so have put off casual music buyers and have relied solo on an extremely fickle demographic ever since. I was actually thinking of buying their first album but they have zero chance of me even thinking of buying their 4th.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    You can say that for all boybands, but JLS are on their fourth album and coming from a reality show they've done well considering. I do like this album as its more rnb which ive been wanting from them, so hoping it does well. That saying Hottest girl in the world was the wrong song choice to release first in my opinion.
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It feels like their popularity has gone down - I have no idea why really. Maybe someone who bought the other albums but aren't planning to buy this one can give us an answer??
  • ThePerfectOneThePerfectOne Posts: 20,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because One Direction have overtaken them in the boyband world. Just like someone will overtake One Direction in a couple of years. It happens.
  • miss_zeldamiss_zelda Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha, very well put!

I'm not even sure I've ever heard a JLS song. I probably have, but the dirge played on the radio all sounds the same much of the time. I expect they're probably a radio 1 playlist regular.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's kind of strange how badly the album is doing on iTunes. Physicals will be better but there's no way they are going to get top 5. Ne-yo, Chris M and of course Robbie Williams are gonna storm the top 5. Calvin Harris, Emeli Sande, Kylie Minogue, Swedish House Mafia and Mumford & Sons are not going to be leaving the top 10 this week so they have a pretty tough job on their hands getting a top 10 position.
  • SavyannahSavyannah Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I'm dissapointed, I actually like this single compared others which I did not though some have vaguly grown on me
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JLS have never been anything but a generic pile of festering crap and it's a shame they ahd such potential but their musical output has been naff and outdated from the get go. Now we have The Wanted and of course 1D who have taken over from them and are still in a phase of hype which has somehwhat ended for JLS.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their first album was one of the best of a boyband i've ever heard. 3 amazing singles 9/10

Second album singles where good apart from Club Is Alive. Album was 60% good. The rest was poor. 6/10

Third album had some good elements but alot of filler and repetitive unoriginal music. OK singles. 4/10

Fourth album. A americanised generic song kind of awful. Album previews don't sound too good. 3/10

They're on a downward spiral because they're releasing increasingly lesser and lesser material. The first album is incredible does anyone agree. Some of the best boyband pop songs ever on that...

I think it's time for a Greatest Hits next year and possibly a 'farewell tour' and solo careers. Their tour will still sell well and they should sell 140k-200k easily so won't be dropped but yes they are flopping now.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I remember 3 years ago when they were up against Robbie and they won. It's great to see Robbie take back the crown ;)

To be honest though, I think their latest single is the best track they have ever released. I am a massive Justin Timberlake fan though :D
  • XFactorFanatic1XFactorFanatic1 Posts: 1,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Officially my new favourite poster.
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the quality in there music is declining because they keep churning out album after album,
    its getting abit stupid, they need to really find a sound and take time to craft decent songs.

'she makes me wanna' was huge, and whilst generic, it cannot be argued that it was a catchy hit.
    but what proceeded that was nothing short of utter dirge.
    somtimes they can be cheesey beyond comprehension.

i have a very on off relationship with these guys :) they are very hit and miss. i think some of there tunes are great, and some are just crap, pure and simple.

'hottest girl in the world' i enjoy, but its too weak to be a lead single to a new album.

the first album was great, the rest, pretty piss poor to be frank. which just further proves the theory that they are churning out albums and skimping on quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JLS.
    Just listneing to your 4th album.
    Erm AWFUL is what comes to mind.

It's blatantly obvious you told your producers you wanted to emulate 1D and The Wanted breaking the states so have tried to be 'all american'. The result is an album that is awful and boring.

Hold Me Down is good but the other lot - you call that music...ouch. lead single is alright...don't know and Troublemaker that is OK but thats it.

WOW so bad. You had a winning formula in album1 - why change...

PS They are crazy for not putting HOMELESS HEART on the main album. That should be their 2nd single and Hold Me Down the 3rd. Otherwise the rest is a pile of PARP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Hold Me Down' might just save this album - very very good. One of the best ever songs.
    'Homeless Heart' for 3rd single please

I'll listen again in a week...maybe a grower?
    The rest YUCK!:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
    Whoever buys the album is in for a big surprise though.....the rest is very poor...
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A Jiant Load of Shite :D
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    A Jiant Load of Shite :D

Just a Load of Shite
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because even fanbases like theirs eventually get bored of such an abysmal, soulless group as JLS releasing the same crap, same time every year. But they've made their money, which is all they were ever about, so they wont care too much. And I'm sure Children In Need will once again give them a platform to promote themselves this year, and to look as if they care about charity.
  • grazmangrazman Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i second that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's at #24 on the iTunes chart and the single ('hottest girl in the world') hasn't done too well either (despite an XF performance).

I wasn't keen on the single at all but is the fact that they are not improving musically showing?

You're a bit hypocritical here. You often seem to call out people flopping yet when your faves are you don't bring it up and pretty much insist they haven't and make out nothing is wrong (e.g. Leona and Nelly - I love them, bought Spirit Indestructible, Glassheart and Trouble etc but they've pretty much done the same chart/performance wise with their newest singles and album). Is it one rule for one artist and another for those you don't like? Bit biased. But yes, JLS are underperforming.