Gmail Exchange on iPhone 5

swiftymeswiftyme Posts: 766
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey all,
This may have been posted before, but seems that i've found hundreds of threads, tried everything and still no luck!

I've tried over and over to set my gmail up for push in exchange on my iPhone 5.

Its tried the unlock Captcha thing, i've got 2 step verification set up, and am using application specific passwords as it says to do so.

I've tried this time and time again and keep having no luck - It won't send or recieve emails, and randomly brings a popup on the main screen saying 'Password incorrect - Enter the password for the exchange account 'Gmail''

Any other ideas?
Its driving me mad!
Thanks

Comments

• Tom HoltTom Holt Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I think I had a similar issue to this a few weeks ago. It seems Google have recently dropped support for new devices from using Exchange with Gmail for Mail, Calendars and Contacts. I never saw any message saying that they were dropping the Exchange protocols, but an in-depth look in their help articles one night made me realise they had!

You now have to use iOS's built in option for Gmail from the new email account window. This will sync email, calendars and notes, but not contacts. For this, you'll need to set up another account, this time selecting 'Other' and choosing CardDAV. There are instructions on how to do this here: http://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077?hl=en

As I mention, existing devices will happily continue to use Exchange as before, but if you ever have to restore a backup of your phone or need to change any of the credentials for your account, chances are it will refuse to accept the Exchange setup and force you onto the 'Gmail' option.

Hope this helps! :)
  • swiftymeswiftyme Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is helpful, thanks
    My main concern is push though, push works in exchange apparently but not gmail..

Cheers
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google is turning off activesync exchange completely at the end of the July, I think. At least iOS already has support for CalDAV CardDAV. MS is working frantically to bring it into WP8 before Google turns activesync off.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For email, I now use the official Gmail app from Google - it's come on leaps and bounds since the first version, and it has push notifications. I much prefer it to the old method of using Google Sync (Echange Active Sync) on the native iOS Mail app.

For Calendars and Contacts, I now use CalDAV and CardDAV respectively.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Holt wrote: »
    I think I had a similar issue to this a few weeks ago. It seems Google have recently dropped support for new devices from using Exchange with Gmail for Mail, Calendars and Contacts. I never saw any message saying that they were dropping the Exchange protocols, but an in-depth look in their help articles one night made me realise they had!

You now have to use iOS's built in option for Gmail from the new email account window. This will sync email, calendars and notes, but not contacts. For this, you'll need to set up another account, this time selecting 'Other' and choosing CardDAV. There are instructions on how to do this here: http://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077?hl=en

As I mention, existing devices will happily continue to use Exchange as before, but if you ever have to restore a backup of your phone or need to change any of the credentials for your account, chances are it will refuse to accept the Exchange setup and force you onto the 'Gmail' option.

Hope this helps! :)

It got a bit of press back in mid-December when Google announced it but the actual switch-off for new devices at the end of January passed relatively quietly.

I've restored my iPhone from a backup since the switch-off and the Google EAS account restored perfectly with full synching and push email still working. As long as the backup is encrypted it will have the EAS credentials saved in it.

Google Apps for Business customers are unaffected and EAS functions as normal, but it's unclear what will happen to the free accounts that still have active devices. I suppose a full scale free account switch-off is inevitable at some point in the future though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan of the Gmail app, looks like thats what i'll be using though!

Can't see why they'd offer something like this and then change their minds.

What other Mail options do i have, where i can get push?
    May just change email addresses tbh!

Cheers
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swiftyme wrote: »

As I alluded to above, they've essentially made it a pay feature. Pay for Google Apps for Business and you'll have EAS access with push email.
    There isn't a full push email option now. The closest you'll get is the push notifications with the Gmail app. To be fair though, you do get the email title and first bit of text in the push notification.

Alternatively you can setup IMAP access in any other mail client, but you won't get push notifications.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan of the Gmail app, looks like thats what i'll be using though!

May just change email addresses tbh!

Cheers

When did you last try the Gmail app?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uninstalled it today bud, it was alright but just prefer mail - I think ill just leave it to fetch and set it hourly, it isn't overly important just a feature I'd prefer I guess
  • steffanglsteffangl Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    I've switched to Outlook.com, the new and improved Hotmail.

Works with push email, contacts, calendars (set it up as Hotmail on iPhone), and has a better web interface IMO.