Is it possible to stream music from a Mac to a Veira TV?

I have a Panasonic Veira smart TV - but no other Veira device. Can I wirelessly stream music from my Mac?
W

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    Assuming both are connected to the same network, the Mac is running the software required to do so, and the TV has such a function, then it should be fine.

A Mac forum should be able to advice you better, or google it.
  • WilliWilli Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply and the suggestion. I'll follow it up.
    W
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unless the music files are in mp3 the tv will not recognise them , the mac will be a unique aac format . You can get some server programs that will convert on the fly but don't know if mac will support them ?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the comment.
    I tried copying music files from my Mac to a memory stick but the Veira does not recognise them.
    W
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy an AppleTV. It's really so much better than I thought it would be!
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willi wrote: »
    Thanks for the comment.
    I tried copying music files from my Mac to a memory stick but the Veira does not recognise them.
    W

If you are using Apple's unique file formats then only Apple kit can use them .

MP3 & WMA file used by the rest of the world can be seen on your network of even if you just use a usb stick directly to the TV .

Experiment if any of your friends or family have a proper PC !
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the information.

I've been playing around with the TV this evening and was pleased to find installed the 'Tunein' app which I have on an iPad. In fact, there is no need now to stream or move music from the Mac because there's so much available via internet radio.

I'm very psd with this smart TV.

W
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    It depends on the TV's age. It may be equiped with Airplay which will recognise your iPhone / iPad and stream to the TV.

If VERY recent then you can download Viera Remote to your iPad and that enables you to stream to the TV without the need for any Apple TV

http://applenapps.com/special-event/ces-2013-panasonic-does-airplay-without-the-apple-tv.html

They have a new second screen technology built into their TVs that they call Swipe & Share 2.0. The feature allows an iOS device to connect to a Panasonic TV just like with AirPlay functionality, but without the need for an Apple TV.

The Viera Remote 2 app is coming soon to the App Store, and the app sets up this connectivity. You can send photos, movies, music, and web pages from your iOS device up to the Panasonic TV all through a single swipe forward gesture
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that interesting reply. I'll check it out.
    W
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iangrad wrote: »
    unless the music files are in mp3 the tv will not recognise them , the mac will be a unique aac format . You can get some server programs that will convert on the fly but don't know if mac will support them ?

JRiver Media Center, highly regarded in the music streaming world, is now available for the Mac. Assuming the early releases have the same features as the PC version, it will convert music on the fly if the receiving device doesn't support it, and it will be able to stream to DLNA devices assuming the TV is a DLNA renderer.
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iangrad wrote: »
    If you are using Apple's unique file formats then only Apple kit can use them .

MP3 & WMA file used by the rest of the world can be seen on your network of even if you just use a usb stick directly to the TV .

Experiment if any of your friends or family have a proper PC !

Unless the OP has been ripping CDs into Apple Lossless format (unlikely) then the files will be AAC, which IS a standard format and used by loads of devices and software.