Comments

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tried to install English(GB) version but got a message about corrupt Cab1 file. After trying several times I gave up and installed the English(US) version which installed OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the same company as open office.org?

My Linux laptop has libre, and my windows one has open office. They look identical.

Why would anyone pay for Microsoft office, when these two free products are so similar?!
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the same company as open office.org?
    they are being developed separately form the same original codebase .... openoffice has changed hands & is somewhat left behind as libreoffice races ahead with monthly updates & improvements
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So would you advise installing libre office in place of open office on all of my machines?

I assume there's a windows version?
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume there's a windows version?

Yes

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/?nodetect
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    entirely up to you -- openoffice hasn't had an update released for over a year (other than tweaks to conform to a different software licence) & seems to only be destined to get new feature releases every year or so & no bugfix releases .... whereas libreoffice gets monthly bugfix releases & 6 monthly new feature releases + thanks to way licences work will be able to include the best/good features from (apache) openoffice. I am running libreoffice 4.1 beta on another machine which has some of these as yet unseen openoffice updates including a sidebar which replaces a top bar
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main attraction to open office for me was that it was so similar to microsoft office... So familiarity was key.

I don't really want a sidebar instead of a top bar.. But as it sounds like its coming to both, I'll probably have to get used to it.

Can't complain, for free though, eh?

Thanks for the advice, I'll check both out!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its an optional sidebar in the LibreOffice RC ... quite like it as you get a taller working area
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Libre office is a great office suite.

The only thing I hate is their installer is hopeless.Everytime you have to uninstall and reinstall.
    You have to update it manually too. It always says:

The automatic download of the update is currently not available.
    Click 'Download...' to download LibreOffice 4.0.4 manually from the web site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Libre office is a great office suite.

The only thing I hate is their installer is hopeless.Everytime you have to uninstall and reinstall.
    You have to update it manually too. It always says:

The automatic download of the update is currently not available.
    Click 'Download...' to download LibreOffice 4.0.4 manually from the web site.
    auto-update is coming to the full desktop version (already exists if you have portableapps installed on an external drive OR computers hard drive) & I've never un-installed it first
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    auto-update is coming to the full desktop version (already exists if you have portableapps installed on an external drive OR computers hard drive) & I've never un-installed it first

Hope so, they have been saying this for a while.

The install asks you to manually uninstall previous version, had this yesterday with latest build on W8 and two linux distros.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    remember now ... if you have a really old LibO install on computer (a 3.6* version I think) a manual uninstall might have been required .... might be some Win8 anomalies?