Amstrad begin shipping Sky+ boxes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    DJKEY: Email me your phone . I will call you back you can then you can call the Amstrad published switch board number ask to be put through to me in my office. I will tell my sec to accept your call. Ok sunshine the ball is in your court.

asugar@amstrad.com
  • whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    errrmmmm actually Mr Sugar I don't think anybody from round here got to test an Amstrad box.

I had a badly spelt reply, a promise to be in contact with me then.......nothing!

Well you did ask!

DAVE, Oldham.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    You have mail Mr. Sugar.

Feel free to call me anytime tomorrow....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/040303/0306000145_1.html
    The Amstrad Sky+ box will deliver the same features already available with existing models of Sky+, plus several additional recording features, said Amstrad.

What are the "additional recording features"?

Phil
  • plusmanplusman Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Assuming it is the real Alan Sugar, and I have no reason to believe that it is not, I think it is excellent that somebody like him should read and take part in these Fora. So well done, Sir Alan.

It is a pity that people such as James Murdoch or even Caroline Connor (Head Sky Cust. service) or Sir Michael Bett (Non-executive Chairman, Pace) or John Howard Dyson (Chief Exec, Pace) wouldn't do likewise. Or even if they could arrange to do it as a 1-off session. At least then you'd think somebody was listening to you and you might get a direct response to some of our issues.

"Ah yes, I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one..."

BTW I still have an Amstrad VCR-4700 VCR that I purchased in 1988. It still works (though has needed 1 repair, and is now in the study); bought it because it had a nifty remote control that you could use to set up the timer from the comfort of your armchair. It has lasted longer than my Panasonic and Sony VCR's (both of which gave up the ghost within a few years, and had to be repaired twice). At least now I have the "ever-reliable " Sky+ for my recordings (with a DVD recorder for backup since I've had a "few" issues with Sky+). ;)
    Forum Member
    Well, I can confirm that I have now spoken to the "Real" Sir Alan Sugar at Amstrad.

And......

(Apart from him getting my surname wrong), it is indeed the "Real" Sir Alan Sugar.

So, apologies all round for being a doubting Thomas.

What an amazing and rather unbelievable tale - the head of a massive national company, ex-chairman of THFC, writer of articles and advice in the National Press (a very good section - ask Sir Alan for business advice) is here dealing with us - the minnows of the world in his own name!!

Excellent - well done Sir Alan!
    Forum Member
    PLUSMAN: The old VCR 4700 great machine, the secret as you say is in the handset, great idea if I say so my self. I also just gave up on the one I had at home, not cos it conked out but I gave it away when I installed a whole load of new kit.

The reason all those other you name dont join in here is because they dont see the value in it. You lot are my eyes an ears of what the real world thinks about the products that either we make or others do. The first rule in marketing give the punter what they want. Where better than to see what all the gripes are on existing products to not put them in our new ones. So this is cheap market reserach as far as I am concerned.

DJKEY: No apology needed, just happy to set the record straight so that I can continue to get frank comments from one an all.

Sir Alan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....now about that job!

Dave, Oldham UK.
    Forum Member
    I did post it once before , but we got all the people we need now for testing.

Thanks

Sir Alan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...don't want a testing job I want a proper job!

Only kidding matey - I am at the moment nearing the launch of a new business venture (put everything I have into it so i hope it bloody works!)

Lets hope that in a few years time people are posting on here

" That can't be the real Dave from Oldham posting on here - he'd be far too busy running his very sucessful business"

I figured out a long time ago the only way to make money is to work for yourself - I think i have a good idea that nobody in the UK is doing at the moment but it is big in the states.

Any tips Alan.........?

Dave, Oldham.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...if Bob Watkins job is still going i would consider it.

And I love my emailer - wink wink!

Also I love the Hackney Empire and Griff Rhys Jones and women called Ann!

Ah I can see it now CEO...............................

Dave, Oldham UK.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by alan sugar
    By the way we do have email at Amstrad.

Do you use the emailers at Amstrad then? If so I hope you have shares in the telephone company, given the bills my emailer lumbered me with......

(In fairness I do still have an Amstrad digital clock radio from the mid-1970s that's still going strong :) but that emailer thing was a nightmare :()
    ... a Ferrari which had a faulty engine, doors that are falling off and a foul smell inside ...

... sounds like just about every Ferrari ever made to me :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....the plan was to sell the emailers below cost and take a slice of the phone call profits.

I think........

Dave, Oldham.
    Forum Member
    Yes I use Emailers both at home at in the office and yes we do get pay as you go charges on the phone bills, thats the advantage of it. Dont know why you feel you got lots of charges you were not expecting as all charges are prompted by an action the user makes and all screens advise users of all costs.

Whiteswan: You are right the phones ar sold at well below factory cost. Similar to Mobile phones

The emailer is a great gadget, most people think they will never use it ( I have a computer) but you do for the quick surf and look, or a quick email by using the copymail system. It has a great telephone directory, aswer phone and handsfree facility.

Sir Alan
  • BrianlionBrianlion Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear Mr Alan Sugar,

in the mid 90's, my parents bought me an Amstrad games console, it was mainly white and a bit of red i think. the only game i had was 'burnout' or 'burning rubber' carnt remember the exact name.

please could you tell me the name of this console,
    (it was my 1st). i would like to check the specs of it.
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an Amstrad GX 4000.

The game would have been Burnin' Rubber.
    Forum Member
    Correct GX-4000 was the console, cant comment on the game

Sir Alan
    Forum Member
    In my opinion, the greatest thing Amstrad ever made was the old SRX series analogue Sky boxes.

Yeah, so they blew fuses etc, but it introduced satellite to the masses in the UK.

I can remember going into Rumbelows and buying one the day they came out, wedging the dish in our back yard with bricks and staring in wonder at MTV etc.

Tyson v's Bruno on satellite, Feb '89 if I remember correctly.

I ran that SRX box for years, until digital came along - yeah I had to use an expander for channels, and a plug in set top videocrypt decoder but to me it was heaven.

Had Amstrad/Fidelity not come along with this system I believe that - A. Satellite would not have arrived to the masses for years / B. Another manufacturer would have come along charging twice as much.

Thanks for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I’ve been reading this post with interest, and I know it’s slightly off topic but I think Amstrad should be congratulated for consistently providing the mass consumer with products that were previously out of reach.
    I’ve been working in the PC industry for nearly twenty years and I remember the old “Amstrad Poor Quality” argument back then when they launched their first home PC the CPC464. It proved to be extremely reliable and sold very well but even this was eclipsed by the PCW8256. A complete computer system for just £399 was incredible value for money and it became the first choice of many small businesses that had not until then been able to afford to use computers – it was also very reliable.
    Amstrad have always excelled at making expensive products affordable for the mass market, so as far as I’m concerned hats off to you Sir Alan.
    Forum Member
    DJKEY: Yes the original boxes did change the face of UK television, we made them in a rush. We shook hands with Rupert Murdoch in June 87 to do it having never made a Satelite receiver before and shipped in Feb 88. 8 months is about the same time Phillips and Sony took to make a feasability study to see if they should do it or not. In the same rtime frame we convinced the late Arnold Weinstock to make us the LNB , an item which was not made in mass production at the time.

NORMANKING: Thats what we do, try to make hi tech products at prices people can afford. The CPC 464 and the PCW was the start of the PC revolution in the UK and Europe followed by the PC-1512 ( IBM PC) which blew everyone away.

Today the emailer phone is a very underated item, people just dont understand whats under the hood and what it can do. This time we are not going to give up too quickly as we can see this type of product is going to be in all homes soon. We gave up too quickly in 1987 with our pen pad PDA thinking we had made a boob, we were simply ahead of our time, as you can see from Palm and Compaq who cleaned up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan sugar wrote:
    Thats what we do, try to make hi tech products at prices people can afford. The CPC 464 and the PCW was the start of the PC revolution in the UK and Europe followed by the PC-1512 ( IBM PC) which blew everyone away.

Don't forget the worlds first affordable portable computer! I've got one if any museum is interested!

Dave
    Forum Member
    PPC-512 Does it still work, un unusal shape but it worked

Sir Alan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan sugar wrote:
    PPC-512 Does it still work, un unusal shape but it worked

Sir Alan

Mine's the luxury model the PPC-640 with all that extra memory!

It probably still works, it did the last time I used it! One owner from new and I'm sure I've got the carry bag somewhere! I liked the full size keyboard!

Dave
  • MethanoidMethanoid Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan

Any chance of an Amstrad Sky+ box that supports bigger Hard disks? That would make it something special...

I'm sure you've seen the gazillion people upgrading their HDs (and now downgrading cos of Sky software).

We want big HDs.

Thanks

Meth