ONE Anniversary Special - Straight From The BBC

stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/bbc-one-commissions-nov.html

"Drama on BBC One takes another big leap in 2013 in the shape of some major event dramas, including The Village, Ripper Street, Luther, The White Queen and the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special."

(Cue people claiming that Cohen once again doesn't know what he's talking about or that "Special" can really mean "Specials" etc. etc.)

Comments

• nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    It's fantastic to see Doctor Who highlighted at the top of the message as a really special thing for the coming year. Entwistle said next year should be memorable for anniversary bits and bobs.

Should I put in spoilers that the 50th Special villain is called "Jabba The Outbuilding"?
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,074
    Forum Member
    stcoop wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/bbc-one-commissions-nov.html

"Drama on BBC One takes another big leap in 2013 in the shape of some major event dramas, including The Village, Ripper Street, Luther, The White Queen and the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special."

(Cue people claiming that Cohen once again doesn't know what he's talking about or that "Special" can really mean "Specials" etc. etc.)

its sound to me like hes talking about it as an event , i dont even think plans have been finalized for the 50th yet
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never knew they were doing an adaptation of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really that surprising. I think at the most it will be 90 minutes. With this now being more and more likely the case can people stop screaming that they want so many returning characters? It is not going to happen and if it did it would most likely be a car crash, Its likely the total screen time here might be less than that which was given over to Stolen Earth/Journeys End and that felt overly crammed. I am dialling my expectations right down for this. Best we will get is a nice curio piece which hits the right nostalgia buttons- a glorified version of the Davison/Tennant mini-sode but most likely with Smith/Tennant and maybe a fleeting appearance or tip of the hat to Ecclestone.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    There HAS to be more to it than that. As nyder has pointed out so many times, this is supposed to be a 50th Anniversary Special, not a 7th Anniversary special. References to the past will surely abound.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably there is only going to be one episode on the date of the 50th episode... making that the 50th anniversary special.

This of course means there is absolutely nothing else Doctor Who @ 50 related on around that period. Plans finalised. Schedule confirmed. Death to the BBC. etc etc.
    Forum Member
    So, in the singular corner we have Matt Smith and Cohen talking about "the special", and in the multiple corner we have Moffat who questioned why people were talking about it being only one special, hinting at multiple.

A single ninety minute thing? A single story shown over two 45 minute episodes?

Or....enough specials to equate to the huge number of 2013 episodes needed to make 2012 and 2013 combined equal about two normal series?

Not sure. I expect the former. Which has been my expectation since early 2011 for reasons that appear unfathomable to some.
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    Presumably there is only going to be one episode on the date of the 50th episode... making that the 50th anniversary special.

This of course means there is absolutely nothing else Doctor Who @ 50 related on around that period. Plans finalised. Schedule confirmed. Death to the BBC. etc etc.

Everyone knows to expect a huge amount of 50th related programming and events next year. The BBC have said so very clearly. It is going to be very special and bound to be handled well.

I think what stcoop is referring to is the mocking criticism made by various FMs about people who (in my view) correctly interpreted news and statements about the number and style of new episodes to be expected between 2012 and 2014. People who were laughingly dismissed as using "guesswork" etc.
    Forum Member
    when are we likely to even hear any confirmation or press release on the 50th will we have to wait till summer till the 7th seasons over?
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    We probably won't learn anything concrete until early next year.
    Forum Member
    There HAS to be more to it than that. As nyder has pointed out so many times, this is supposed to be a 50th Anniversary Special, not a 7th Anniversary special. References to the past will surely abound.

I think something along the lines of a Ten and Eleven partnership is very likely. But that doesn't mean it won't be a celebration of the entire show history. Moffat has been great at honouring the entire history of the show. The library card in series five was really funny Loads of other things too.

In terms of showing respect to the entire history of the show I feel safe in predicting: Trust The Moff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To trim the discussion down.

We still know nothing.
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats Moffat Believers for the predictable responses.

It's going to be an interesting day when people finally have to accept that 2013 will consist of the second half of Series 7, an Anniversary Special and a Christmas Special
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    We still know nothing.

Keep telling yourself that despite all the evidence showing otherwise.
    Forum Member
    Yes, because the BBC fix their schedules 1 year in advance :rolleyes:
    Forum Member

what evidence:confused: so far i have seen no concrete plans date or time frame of the 50th aniverary special/specials:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course nothing is set in stone but it seems some people who are imaginging a giant budgeted blockbuster multi episode extravaganza that crams in references to every doctor and features multiple returning companions are setting themselves up for quite a let down as all evidence suggests the contrary.
    Forum Member
    Of course nothing is set in stone but it seems some people who are imaginging a giant budgeted blockbuster multi episode extravaganza that crams in references to every doctor and features multiple returning companions are setting themselves up for quite a let down as all evidence suggests the contrary.

they could well do 3 specials though, one to air September featuring the doctor on his own in a story, a multi doctor for the november then the christmas special

would be wishful thinking but its a big annivsary and it is possible
    Forum Member

And some fans just like to imagine the possibilities and don't give two hoots if they are right or not ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was expecting the 50th anniversary special on the 50th anniversary. What great shock am I in surprise for?

I'm expected more Doctor Who anniversary stuff? Yes, I am. With Gatiss' drama commissioned, I'm getting that also. Anything more beyond the 23rd November episode is a bonus.

Not that we're entitled to any of it.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One good 90 minute special is better then 2 or 3 dud episodes. There are two majior storylines left hanging that need to be answered. Library and Trenzalore. Thanks to Dorium and the memories of being 10 he knows what is coming he can do something about it. To save someone you love and your own life/future wouldn't you defy heaven and hell? I would. Dorium said "fall" not death of the 11th. Sure there will be a loop hole to that stupid question.
    Untill then we have christmas and part 2 to enjoy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh sure. I have wild dreams about what I would like. But I think fandom would do well to temper its expectations as they will be impossible to live up to. I would quite like to see Moffat do the reverse of what many expect and have a small scale character piece exploring the history of the show but even more so the character of the doctor and what it means to be the Timelord. I know it sounds dull to some but its more likely than a five hour retelling of the Time War featuring Tom Baker, Tennant and Smith meeting up with Eight and seeing his regeneration into Nine and then oh look! Its Captain Jack and they're off to fight a billion Daleks with Davros and Omega combining with a new master played by Cumberbatch. Etc etc etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Library storyline finished. In the Library. What is it about that fact some people can't grasp?
    Forum Member
    And some fans just like to imagine the possibilities and don't give two hoots if they are right or not ;)

That's the right attitude. Have some thoughts and hopes. There is some annoyance caused by the people who most demonstrably do give two hoots, though.

The people who turned up to tell us to expect a move to a winter schedule. The people who predicted that 2012 would be special length blockbuster episodes. The people who posted repeatedly that series 8 would be shown in the winter of 2013. The people who are still turning up tellng us to expect multiple anniversary specials.

Maybe we will get these things. But what I fail to understand is people who get so upset about the more likely outcomes being, indeed, more likely.

Having thoughts and hopes about these things is very nice. Posting rude and insulting things about people who think otherwise isn't brilliant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what evidence:confused: so far i have seen no concrete plans date or time frame of the 50th aniverary special/specials:rolleyes:

If you don't accept the word of the Controller of BBC1 (backed up by Matt Smith) who would you accept? Moffat? Mr. "I chose to move the series to the Autumn so it would show on dark nights where it belongs"?