Steam DRM; for or against?

NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
Forum Member
Hello, I was just wondering how many gamers are against Steam's DRM?, I don't buy any games from steam or that require steam.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »
    Hello, I was just wondering how many gamers are against Steam's DRM?, I don't buy any games from steam or that require steam.

Strange, you need to install it!

Excellent system

Go to http://store.steampowered.com/about/ and install it.

For PC gaming it is an essential and very readily recommended.
  • NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    Strange, you need to install it!

Excellent system

Go to http://store.steampowered.com/about/ and install it.

For PC gaming it is an essential and very readily recommended.

Hi, I don't want to install it thanks....

I'm against the DRM of Steam, once you've bought a game you can't sell it on.

I was wondering how many other gamers are against the DRM as well.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's brilliant! It's got me back into PC gaming in a big way. I used to look into buying indie games direct from the devs but it's just so convenient being able to use Steam across various machines.

There's a trading system in place between Steam users which is good enough for me. I only ever buy on Steam when there are offers on, anyway.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I think the limitations that Steam puts in place for it's digital distribution is more than made up by the value of many deals they put on.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate DRM with a passion. Just don't like it.

Yet Steam, just... works!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I don't see an army of 360/PS3 users complaining about the drm involved with Live Arcade/PSN games.

If you don't like the limitations then pay full price at a retail outlet. Simple.
  • NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    If you don't like the limitations then pay full price at a retail outlet. Simple.

It's not that "simple", if you are talking about the same game(s) on the store shelves at "full price", they to require steam.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only games I now buy on Steam are steamworks games, the rest I buy elsewhere like play, amazon, gog, gmg etc.

The SSA update last summer was a real wake up call for alot of users who realised Steam has them by the balls, since then I haven't bought a game on Steam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The SSA update last summer was a real wake up call for alot of users who realised Steam has them by the balls...

Do you mean this: http://m.joystiq.com/2012/08/01/valves-updated-steam-subscriber-agreement-bars-class-action-law/ ?
  • lamblamlamblamblamlamb Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only buy steam games in the sale, but when they do have a sale i get loads.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only buy steam games in the sale, but when they do have a sale i get loads.

Like the Spring sale that is on at the moment? Dangerous stuff :D
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    And I don't see an army of 360/PS3 users complaining about the drm involved with Live Arcade/PSN games..

What DRM? You don't have to be signed into LIVE or PSN to use them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What DRM? You don't have to be signed into LIVE or PSN to use them.

Taking that track, you don't need to be signed into Steam to play any of their games, they just use offline mode... Also, all the games have their own exe files and many games can be run without even using offline mode so... no signing in required at all in some cases.

I was making the point that Steam, PSN and Live are very similar systems... Well, maybe Steam has more in common with PSN due to there being no subscription fees... DRM along the lines of items purchased on either platform is then limited to that platform. That's DRM irrespective of whether you have to log in or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I understand why many places now want games on steam/origin/uplay but for me no. I have games on steam that many have said are great but for me I don't like them and im forced to keep them.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate DRM but as others have said Steam can get away with it. The sales they have on their games more than makes up for it. If they charged £30-40 for every game and refused to ever budge then obviously it'd be different. Point is that even for a triple A game they are cheaper than consoles by a good £10 sometimes.
  • lamblamlamblamblamlamb Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like the Spring sale that is on at the moment? Dangerous stuff :D

Oh not had a chance to look at steam atm i might have a look
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh not had a chance to look at steam atm i might have a look

The sale runs until the 29th, mainly indie stuff but some excellent games in there.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Taking that track, you don't need to be signed into Steam to play any of their games, they just use offline mode... Also, all the games have their own exe files and many games can be run without even using offline mode so... no signing in required at all in some cases.

I was making the point that Steam, PSN and Live are very similar systems... Well, maybe Steam has more in common with PSN due to there being no subscription fees... DRM along the lines of items purchased on either platform is then limited to that platform. That's DRM irrespective of whether you have to log in or not.

Last time I downloaded a game off Steam I couldn't play it unless I opened Steam first, that's changed now? But you can buy games on XBL and play them on any 360, you are not restricted to that one console.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    I've been using Steam since it started, and I've never had any fundamental issues with it's unobtrusive DRM.

It's got a very good offline mode and 99.9% of the time it just works.

It's a pity it's not the only system on the block though. I hate having to deal with UPlay, Games for Windows Live AND Origin.

Basically if you object to Steam on DRM grounds then you shouldn't use any of those other systems which are for the most part worse. That rules out everything by Microsoft, EA and Ubisoft, and many other major publishers, as well as a vast number of Indie games that use Steam/Steamworks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I downloaded a game off Steam I couldn't play it unless I opened Steam first, that's changed now? But you can buy games on XBL and play them on any 360, you are not restricted to that one console.

Yes, that has changed. Depending on how you open a game the most it will want you to do is sign in to Steam but you can go into offline mode with it that gets around that or, if you're on a machine that isn't connected, it'll just automatically go into offline mode anyway.

You're also not restricted to playing on one machine. You can also play Steam games on whatever machine you like as long as you have the Steam app on there, just like being able to play XBL games on any 360. I have some Steam games on 3 machines (2 Win PCs and 1 Mac)...

On top of that, and this is something that, AFAIK, can't be done on XBL or PSN, you can trade games between other Steam users. So, if you complete/get fed up of something you can trade it with your friends.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes. You could only log in if you accepted. People soon realised Valve could demand anything they wanted, and people would have to accept to play their games.

I'm glad GOG are now adding more and more newer games to their library,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad GOG are now adding more and more newer games to their library,

GOG have similar terms, though. I signed up with them a couple of weeks ago. They're very similar to what folk sign up for on XBL and PSN, too.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I don't want to install it thanks....

PC Gaming hasn't ever had the same kind of second hand market anyway largely due to the fact that its always been easier to make copies of PC Games than consoles so you haven't had the trade in retailers. As such its far from being the big loss it might be for Console
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Two PCs both have Steam, both get used, wouldn't have any other PC online store now.