Why Has the Gay Marriage Issue Exploded ?

Comments

• tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    designer84 wrote: »
    It's not just a simple name change, it's putting it through the courts and protecting those that either wish to opt out or opt in. It should be simple but people keep scaremongering. As long as all the same rights and meanings are given to straight and gay couples, that's what matters

I thought civil partnerships had identical rights and responsibilities to civil marriage?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    If a religious zealot screaming not fair is the adult argument I would hate to see what the childish one is :eek::eek::eek:

Possibly something to do with farting?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    Just on a personal level? You know they have sex and whatnot too...

Really :eek: i thought they just sat around discussing soft furnishings
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treme wrote: »
    So it really is just a name change that will sort all this out?

No the Marriage act is a completely different act to the CP act so renaming is not and never will be the same thing.

Seriously! Are some taking the micky?

We want the marriage act to include straight and gay people as then it will be equal.

Someone please cut and post this on every page.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Possibly something to do with farting?

Which would be a lot more eloquent and sensible then that particular post ;)
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought civil partnerships had identical rights and responsibilities to civil marriage?

For the most part they do but it's not classed as marriage which if abroad I believe may cause issues if something was to befall your partner. CP is only recognised here. If its classed as marriage then it's a more secure, tighter and more meaningful bond
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Almost every Tory I've seen speak tonight in the Commons has said the same thing

"We need more time to consider the consequences"

No we don't. There are none. NEXT!
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Why is it somehow that terms like "bigot" get redefined by the ones who it applies to? Do they seriously think they are convincing anyone?
    Forum Member
    designer84 wrote: »
    For the most part they do but it's not classed as marriage which if abroad I believe may cause issues if something was to befall your partner. CP is only recognised here. If its classed as marriage then it's a more secure, tighter and more meaningful bond

I was under the impression the rights are identical, not for the most part. There will be countries where a marriage between a same-sex couple won't be recognised either.
    Forum Member
    Why is it somehow that terms like "bigot" get redefined by the ones who it applies to? Do they seriously think they are convincing anyone?

To opponents of gay marriage, "bigot" means anyone who opposes their desire to run the lives of other human beings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true.

I have noted that some of the posters who throw out accusations of bigotry are very bigoted themselves, especially against religion and about the views of others.

But then they've probably redefined the meaning of the word 'bigot'. Just as they are redefining other words.

(Bigot: a person who is intolerant, esp. regarding religion, politics or race. A person who is intolerant of the views of others)

Really, where would DS be without the how dare you be intolerant of my intolerance argument? :D:D:rolleyes:
  • Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Very true.

I have noted that some of the posters who throw out accusations of bigotry are very bigoted themselves, especially against religion and about the views of others.

But then they've probably redefined the meaning of the word 'bigot'. Just as they are redefining other words.

(Bigot: a person who is intolerant, esp. regarding religion, politics or race. A person who is intolerant of the views of others)
    You claim to notice that as it suits you bt you are not correct
    Being labelled a bigot on this forum isn't anything to be particularly upset about.

is that how you rationalise it away?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost every Tory I've seen speak tonight in the Commons has said the same thing

"We need more time to consider the consequences"

No we don't. There are none. NEXT!

Indeed.

Which vote is this tonight by the way? I'm a bit dim on parliamentary matters, in that I dont know which vote actually means it will become law.
    Forum Member
    is that how you rationalise it away?

On gay-centric digitalspy, the parameters at which one usually meets the criteria of bigot, especially when you're in the thread my friend, aren't representative of real life. :)
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was under the impression the rights are identical, not for the most part. There will be countries where a marriage between a same-sex coupe won't be recognised either.

If its identical why isn't it called marriage? Sometimes change is for the best. Sometimes change allows us to move forward. Europe is doing it, Canada has done it, even America is doing it.
    Forum Member
    On gay-centric digitalspy, the parameters at which one usually meets the criteria of bigot, especially when you're in the thread my friend, aren't representative of real life. :)

It's not gay-centric.

Anymore than supporting equal voting rights is "woman-centric"
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some quite surprising post in here. Which is a good thing I guess.
  • chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just saw Sir Roger Gale just making a tit of himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Which would be a lot more eloquent and sensible then that particular post ;)

Yes. It would. ;)
    chinchin wrote: »
    Just saw Sir Roger Gale just making a tit of himself.

Not unusual for him it seems.

Is it wrong that his name makes me giggle?
    Forum Member
    It's not gay-centric.

Anymore than supporting equal voting rights is "woman-centric"

I was referring to the website, not the thread topic.
    Forum Member
    I agree, can't stand people redefining words. I'll stick with the version we have in the dictionaries.

Bigot: a person who is intolerant, esp. regarding religion, politics or race. A person who is intolerant of the views of others

Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot, defined by Merriam-Webster as "a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance".

Openly advocating the discrimination of a segment of the population (in this case gay people) is bigoted.

Opposing such efforts isn't. As I said, there's no reason to tolerate people trying to oppress others.
    Forum Member
    I was referring to the website, not the thread topic.

The site isn't gay-centric either. Gay people are mentioned in articles and gay people certainly post here too, but so are/do straight people.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I've explained it to you upteen times using simple words.

You didn't, you ignored it and pretended you answered but whatever.
    Forum Member
    The site isn't gay-centric either. Gay people are mentioned in articles and gay people certainly post here too, but so are/do straight people.

There is a larger percentage of declared gay people posting here than most people would encounter day to day.

And Gay Spy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let me consult my magic 8 ball for the answer to that........................................No.
This discussion has been closed.