the kate bush appreciation thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    jlrob wrote: »
    My favourite is 'Sunset' from Aerial... When the flamenco kicks in my heart soars....

For me it's the last 3 songs 'Somewhere in Between', 'Nocturn' and 'Aerial' that I love. The rest of the albums a bit patchy though, the less said about Rolf Harris, the better. Apart from those 3 tracks I mentioned I don't really listen to Aerial that much, preferring Never Forever, Sensual World or This Women's Work Vol 1.

Her last song was absolutely awful though - god knows what she was thinking when she agreed to do that.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digit al wrote: »
    where do you start?...wuthering heights i suppose:)
    I'd definitely stop before I got to Aerial.
    Forum Member
    UKMikey wrote: »
    I'd definitely stop before I got to Aerial.

Aerial has it's moments, The Red Shoes was pretty bad though and sounds the most dated out of all her work IMO.
  • OmahOmah Posts: 23,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Kate Bush she is incredibly talented and I have more than one favourite song. Man with the child in his eyes is one of her best known and I like the duets she has done.

"Don't Give Up" - breaks my heart every time I hear it ..... :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Layra is a nice song and amazing to her feat that she wrote and recorded it within 10 days. I see this track as an experiment. Oh Experiment IV!! now there was a track....
    Forum Member
    Lyra was perhaps one of the worst songs she's ever recorded IMO and really doesn't bode well for any future recordings if this is the direction she intends to take - it's too close to Enya for my taste.

Just listened to perhaps my all time favorite KB song and perhaps my all time favorite xmas song, December Will Be Magic Again. I preferred her more 'eccentric' days.
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    I would ignore the Lyra song - it was done in a rush (for Kate!) and naturally she was constrained in terms of what the producers of the film required.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    For me it's the last 3 songs 'Somewhere in Between', 'Nocturn' and 'Aerial' that I love. The rest of the albums a bit patchy though, the less said about Rolf Harris, the better. Apart from those 3 tracks I mentioned I don't really listen to Aerial that much, preferring Never Forever, Sensual World or This Women's Work Vol 1.

Her last song was absolutely awful though - god knows what she was thinking when she agreed to do that.

Yeh I agree that Lyra was a bit of a dud - Let's hope it's not her swansong!
  • Magpie11Magpie11 Posts: 9,294
    Forum Member
    Love Kate.

The Kick Inside is probably one of my top three albums ever.

'Feel It' is my personal favourite Kate song.
  • digit aldigit al Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know why a lot of people are not keen on lyra, i'm surprised kate didn't do more with it, but i quite like it...but then kate could sing the phone book, as she practically did on PI, and i would like it.
    a song not mentioned yet, that i love, is mrs Bartolozzi...i was expecting this to be panned a bit more!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Layra is a nice song and amazing to her feat that she wrote and recorded it within 10 days. I see this track as an experiment. Oh Experiment IV!! now there was a track....

i loved the video to E4......great song too:)
  • mystery girlmystery girl Posts: 2,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omah wrote: »
    "Don't Give Up" - breaks my heart every time I hear it ..... :cry:

What annoys me on this thread is that every musician is suppose to write to the fans every whim:mad: Not!:eek::D

I like it when I read positive things about artists like your post. :) I don't like every track any artist does but that doesn't mean it isn't pack and parcel of the artist.
    They have their own reasons for the music they write and I daresay some will not like the tracks we do.
    Kate Bush is definately versatile in her music.

MG.xx:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What annoys me on this thread is that every musician is suppose to write to the fans every whim:mad: Not!:eek::D

I like it when I read positive things about artists like your post. :) I don't like every track any artist does but that doesn't mean it isn't pack and parcel of the artist.
    They have their own reasons for the music they write and I daresay some will not like the tracks we do.
    Kate Bush is definately versatile in her music.

mmmm, bad day?:)
    i dont think anyone on this thread has said a musician needs to write a likeable classic every time....people are just offering their views. i love kate bush but i'm happy to accept that there are some, who whilst they admire her, dont love/like all her music...swings and roundabouts me thinks!

regards:D
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Indeed. She has produced a few tracks that I think are rather poor, particularly on the first CD of Aerial (but the 2nd CD more than makes up for the weaknesses of the first CD).
  • mystery girlmystery girl Posts: 2,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digit al wrote: »
    mmmm, bad day?:)
    i dont think anyone on this thread has said a musician needs to write a likeable classic every time....people are just offering their views. i love kate bush but i'm happy to accept that there are some, who whilst they admire her, dont love/like all her music...swings and roundabouts me thinks!

regards:D

Me thinks you got me wrong again...:p:D

I think you are repeating me...

Forum Member
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Indeed. She has produced a few tracks that I think are rather poor, particularly on the first CD of Aerial (but the 2nd CD more than makes up for the weaknesses of the first CD).

Yeah, Aerial is a mixed bag. Theres some truely great stuff on there and theres some stuff on there that truly grates.
    When I heard Kate was pregnant I feared her work would turn 'mummsy' and sure enough the song Bertie was proof of that. I read a comment from someone who said that Bertie would be explaining that song to a shrink in 20 years time. :D

I do love KB but the past 2 albums have really not being up to her usual standard IMO.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So three years, time for a new album?
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    So three years, time for a new album?

LOL, add another nine years to that. :D
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person on earth who loves The Red Shoes album? I think it's absolute quality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no adore the red shoes - for me she hasnt made a bad album - lionheart is now 30 YEARS OLD and still sounds vibrant everytime i play it.

3 years since Aerial...bloody heck!
    come on EMI lets remaster her back catalogue!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me thinks you got me wrong again...:p:D

I think you are repeating me...

ok:)...lets agree that kb is class:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Am I the only person on earth who loves The Red Shoes album? I think it's absolute quality.

not at all....probably the popiest thing she's done, but its great to my ears.
    i loved moments of pleasure and lily from that album!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This woman's work is Kate at her best....she was always head and shoulders above another other British female artist of this genre but she is prone to strange sounding vocals at times.
    Forum Member
    no adore the red shoes - for me she hasnt made a bad album - lionheart is now 30 YEARS OLD and still sounds vibrant everytime i play it.

3 years since Aerial...bloody heck!
    come on EMI lets remaster her back catalogue!!

Not sure if the albums were remastered but they were all re-released around 3 years ago with stylish sleeves that were miniatures of the old LP sleeves - they were rather lovely. I know Hounds Of Love was given the remaster treatment out 8 years ago and included the b-sides from that album.
  • OmahOmah Posts: 23,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭