What was this kids-oriented scifi novel?

phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I was a kid, my dad was a lecturer in our local teacher training college...and every few weeks I could use the childrens' section in the library there, the section that held books for students to take out on teaching practice and read to kids in class...

One I remember was a kids-oriented scifi novel, quite old I think, where the story was set in basically a lifeboat station in space; the heroes flew space capsules that went to the rescue of stranded ships. The "lifeboats" were actually armed, because the "guns" were used for rapid braking in the sense of "action-reaction" I.E. fire a projectile forward to brake the capsule!

Does anyone remember this basic plotline???

Comments

• phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump, anyone???
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    I have given this some thought but there's no plot I know like that. I'd suggest finding out who were the most popular science fiction at the time and then looking at the book reviews on the likes of Amazon, etc. to see if any of the plots match up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "...at the time..."

That's the problem - I was of primary school age...and the book was much older. Not much "new" scifi stock in that particular library!
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As we still don't know how old you are it makes it more difficult. When were you at primary school?
    My first thought was E. C. Elliot's "Kemlo" books which began in 1954 and ended in 1963.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL I hadn't thought of that! In my late 40s, this was in the 1970s...

But no, it wasn't any of the Kemlo books.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    There was a science fiction writer called Hugh Walters whose books I read in the late 60s early 70s. Doesn't remind me of the ones he wrote though.

Maybe one of Heinlein's juvenile books perhaps?
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about Angus MacVicar or W. E. Johns?
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    Sounds like 1940s/50s stuff. I used to read novels and short stories like that in the 70s. This doesn't ring any bells though. Were they space navy guys or space hospital based? Were they watching a remote part of space or were they in the heart of an empire/federation? Did they get into battles or was it all peaceful?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a naval or hospital milieu - a rescue service, bit like the RNLI or U.S. Coastguard ;) And strictly Solar Sytem based.
  • mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a kid, my dad was a lecturer in our local teacher training college...and every few weeks I could use the childrens' section in the library there, the section that held books for students to take out on teaching practice and read to kids in class...

One I remember was a kids-oriented scifi novel, quite old I think, where the story was set in basically a lifeboat station in space; the heroes flew space capsules that went to the rescue of stranded ships. The "lifeboats" were actually armed, because the "guns" were used for rapid braking in the sense of "action-reaction" I.E. fire a projectile forward to brake the capsule!

Does anyone remember this basic plotline???

Have a look at Wikipedia Alpha Centauri in fiction. There is quite a list of old syfy books with a little of what they are about.

Stanlem
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No go, Stanlem, none of those :(
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a science fiction writer called Hugh Walters whose books I read in the late 60s early 70s. Doesn't remind me of the ones he wrote though.

Maybe one of Heinlein's juvenile books perhaps?
    Definitely not Heinlein, nearest would have been Space Cadet.

If it wasn't for the fact that I can't find any evidence that they were ever translated into English I would have said some of the books by Mark Brandis
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it took a LOT of imaginative Googling....but I've a feeling it was THIS -

http://www.andmeisterbooks.co.uk/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=8735
  • mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This book is available from Amazone.

mastanlem
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member

Ah, I see. I don't know that one. Sounds very boys own though!