EA Secure 'Star Wars' Games Licence

DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://kotaku.com/ea-snags-exclusive-deal-to-make-star-wars-games-493178983

Thoughts on this?

On the plus side there's the possibility of a Dice Battlefront 3. Also EA have the big bucks required to really give the production values needed for a Star Wars game.

But on the whole i'm apprehensive, I just have visions of EA Star Wars games where to play as Boba Fett, Darth Vader etc we have to pay for them as DLC

Comments

• smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is hoping for a kotor 3. I like ea, they will release the same game every year and eventually get it right:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I wonder if they've picked up 1313 too in this deal? Surely EA wouldn't say no to grabbing a game so far into development.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that ultimately this will be a good thing and hopefully they do some good work. I would like to see the 1313 game come to my PS3 or PC and it would be nice to see a return to the Jedi Knight games too if they could. Obviously it does come with the unfortunate likeliness of DLC for every little thing and bug ridden games but after being voted as one of the worst companies hopefully they will want to redeem themselves. EA have a lot of good games too but there are usually issues with them at first which always puts me off from buying them at release. We will of course wait and see and hopefully they can turn out something decent for the fans.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a bad feeling about this.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's another game franchise ruined.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EA seem to be in an amazing position with the star wars license

When they had the Bond license the made some of my favorite Bond games of all time

They have Mass Effect a game series about exploring the galaxy which is one of the most well received game series of all time

They literally just need to copy and paste the ME formula and already it'll be one of the best star wars games

Imagine it, you star out as a young Jedi in training and through your chooses in the game (much like Paragon and Renegade) you could end up going down the Jedi route or the Sith Route and helping/hurting the universe in anyway you see fit

Then of course we'd have the Battlefront 3 they could make for next gen which would be an amazing online experience

If people just have a think about the possibilities rather than spewing out the pathetic and lazy 'oh no its EA its over' then maybe they could see the potential i see
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, not EA.

I see no potential in this. It's EA.

EA! :yawn:
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »

When they had the Bond license the made some of my favorite Bond games of all time

They have Mass Effect a game series about exploring the galaxy which is one of the most well received game series of all time

They literally just need to copy and paste the ME formula and already it'll be one of the best star wars games

Imagine it, you star out as a young Jedi in training and through your chooses in the game (much like Paragon and Renegade) you could end up going down the Jedi route or the Sith Route and helping/hurting the universe in anyway you see fit

Then of course we'd have the Battlefront 3 they could make for next gen which would be an amazing online experience

If people just have a think about the possibilities rather than spewing out the pathetic and lazy 'oh no its EA its over' then maybe they could see the potential i see

I agree to an extent, but it depends on whether or not they deliver. I would love to see a Battlefront III, but will DICE have the resources (and EA the cash) to deliver a true successor that isn't just a quick cash in? I have my doubts. As for a new Star Wars RPG....Bioware made the original KOTOR, but I don't think they are the same company now that made that game.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's another game franchise ruined.

They're hardly going to do any worse than Lucasarts, are they?
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member

That just sounds so epic, but I've got so little faith in EA. On the other hand they probably made massive dollar for this, and lack of faith in recent years of star wars games means they can't really go of just on brand to return there investment. So really It could go either way.

But as above It can't get worse than star wars Kinect can it ?
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    smcbeath wrote: »
    Here is hoping for a kotor 3. I like ea, they will release the same game every year and eventually get it right:)

And like little lemmings we will probably buy it each year. I would also lover to see a kotor 3.
  • smcbeathsmcbeath Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »
    And like little lemmings we will probably buy it each year. I would also lover to see a kotor 3.

Hopefully with it being ea, they will do an hd remake of kotor 1+2, with some extra missions/planets and weapons, no wait a minute, that just sings cheap cash in and dlc, ea style:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i want them to make battlefront 3 but no doubt they will mess it up
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smcbeath wrote: »

You obviously haven't heard of FIFA
  • StalwartUKStalwartUK Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll probably just crank out a slew of crappy tie-in games, each with a side order of always-online DRM.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll just release DLC fests.. that's all EA are about now.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll just release DLC fests.. that's all EA are about now.

Like the great man said, "Want a purple lightsaber? £4.99!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2By2N2DnOsM (contains some strong language)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seeing as how ME is the bastard love child of the KOTOR games anyway, this is actually quite likely
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that means no more Star Wars games being released on Steam, then. Us PC gamers forced to install the buggy POS Origin if we want any. Ugh, no thanks. :(
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I want is a new Republic Commando game...and the First Assault game, then 1313..Pretty Please!