Next Gen game prices

ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does the price of the next gen games bother you ?. Do you think the prices are too high or justified ?.

Comments

• brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'll balance out eventually. PS3/360 were just as expensive, if I remember when the consoles launched. As were the Wii U's. Give it time.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    But they shouldn't have to balance out. They keep telling us these games cost more to make, I understand that, but then how can a PC Game version cost as much as 50% less than the console version. Yes I know Sony and MS take a slice of the cost, but £20-£30 is getting beyond a joke. This could kill consoles, when we see the arrival of the Steam Box

And the old argument of well consoles are easier to use etc is slowly fading too!
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see the price point for new games has gone from £40 to £50 with the release of the PS4

Blatant profiteering.

won't stop me getting one though :D
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've come down £5 today.

Argos wanted £55 for BF4 now £49.99.
  • ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jwball wrote: »
    They've come down £5 today.

Argos wanted £55 for BF4 now £49.99.

But that's still £20 more than the PC game costs. Console gamers continue to be ripped off. You pay the £50 for the game, Sony or MS take their cut, then you pay them again to play the game online.
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember WAY back on the 16bit era some games cost at least as much as that, many beyond £50. Back in the early-mid 90s.

Games now are cheap in comparison.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    My pre-order games came down to £45 each on Amazon.

They're getting there. I know I paid more for 360 launch games when that console came out in 2005.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that's still £20 more than the PC game costs. Console gamers continue to be ripped off. You pay the £50 for the game, Sony or MS take their cut, then you pay them again to play the game online.

My gaming PC cost about £2200 a PS4 about £350?

Do you think the difference in games price is because the games are subsidising the console hardware costs via the Sony license fee?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the same for the all the gens. At the beginning the games are more expensive, its profiteering as there are a limited supply of games.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £50-60 bothers me a lot.

£40-45 I'm OK with, but I have a feeling feeling the majority of my gaming this generation might be smaller indie titles and FTP online MMO-type games.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    PC games are just as bad digitally. Origin in particular is bad for wanting £60 for a game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boxx wrote: »
    PC games are just as bad digitally. Origin in particular is bad for wanting £60 for a game.

Indeed - I bought Simcity (yeah I know, serves me right) and it cost a fortune!

They even charge stupid prices for the DLC.
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »

Yes, in one of my few ventures from the My Games screen in Origin I stumbled across the future DLC for Simcity. £25? I'm still reeling from how broken the game was at release (and remains?) and the tiny cities lol I just keep telling folks that aren't of a Simcity background but were disappointed in Simcity to try Tropico 4. Which offers a much more living city imo and isn't broken and is a tenner on Steam with all DLC! (Yay thread back on track:D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boxx wrote: »
    Yes, in one of my few ventures from the My Games screen in Origin I stumbled across the future DLC for Simcity. £25? I'm still reeling from how broken the game was at release (and remains?) and the tiny cities lol I just keep telling folks that aren't of a Simcity background but were disappointed in Simcity to try Tropico 4. Which offers a much more living city imo and isn't broken and is a tenner on Steam with all DLC! (Yay thread back on track:D)

Simcity stinks - which is a shame because there is a very good game in there somewhere. SC4 was fantastic and all they needed to do was update the graphics - yet we ended up with this monstrosity with a back garden sized plot passing for a city and the removal of many of the aspects that made SC4 great.

I looked at Tropico but didn't fancy swapping franchise - I might take the plunge though if it is only a tenner.
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cost of digital games for the PS4 is disgraceful.

Surely they must cost less to make than the disc copies?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

EA/Origin is the exception :D. Those f*****s should be wearing masks and brandishing shotguns. The same games/digital codes can be purchased from Amazon for cheaper than EA charge for the same thing. It's def worth shopping around.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gaming PC cost about £2200 a PS4 about £350?

Do you think the difference in games price is because the games are subsidising the console hardware costs via the Sony license fee?

I'm sure your PC is a powerhouse for the price you paid for it. The point I'm making is that next gen console games are expensive compared to PC games. What we pay out for our gaming rigs, we save on the price of our games over time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cost of digital games for the PS4 is disgraceful.

Surely they must cost less to make than the disc copies?

It's all down to not wanting to undercut shop prices for fear of them refusing to stocking titles for that console yet Sony stated they wanted to push digital sales for the PS4. Of course that would end the 'pre owned' market so they and all other developers would be getting the full price for each new game sold. I see it as if games become digital download only, then the prices will remain quite high and gamers will have no choice but to pay the prices or go without.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Don't Sony and MS sell their consoles at a loss, especially at the start of a gen ?

This will be part of the reason why games start out so highly priced. They have to make back money somewhere. When they've done that, prices will become more reason able.
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it Time prices will drop. But no point in comparing to PC Prices as pc prices are always cheaper.

But to me theres nothing better than picking up a controller and relaxing playing games rather than having to sit on a PC with mouse/keyboard & that in itself far outweighs the price IMO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve2013 wrote: »
    Give it Time prices will drop. But no point in comparing to PC Prices as pc prices are always cheaper.

But to me theres nothing better than picking up a controller and relaxing playing games rather than having to sit on a PC with mouse/keyboard & that in itself far outweighs the price IMO

most PC games have full controller support. I use an xbox 360 controller. It's just as easy as gaming on a console.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Don't Sony and MS sell their consoles at a loss, especially at the start of a gen ?

This will be part of the reason why games start out so highly priced. They have to make back money somewhere. When they've done that, prices will become more reason able.

Nope Sony are making $18 a console not sure about MS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope Sony are making $18 a console not sure about MS

$18 at the moment - but when the price of the console drops so will their profit.

For the majority of its life the PS4 will probably be sold below cost.

This is regained on licenses fees for console games.

And for what it's worth the same report puts the XBone at $19 per unit.

In both instances the numbers do no take into account research, development and marketing costs. It is estimated that the XBone is likely to lose Microsoft as much as $1 billion this year alone if you do take them into account.
    Forum Member
    most PC games have full controller support. I use an xbox 360 controller. It's just as easy as gaming on a console.

Yep sat on a sofa in front of a big telly beats sat at a desk :D

All of these convenience myths are old now, back in the day you shoved cartridge in and console played game, back then PC games were arseholes and the game before the game was a thing.
    These days PC gaming and PCs in general are much more user friendly, and consoles are much less user friendly. So now you have to install console games, take patches and firmware updates, suffer downtime on your favourite games etc...(:p)
    What I'm getting at is the image of the PC gamer, in another room, radiation tan from sitting too close to the monitor, and spending more time prepping the game than playing it (ok the last one still holds true ha) is a bit last decade, and whilst PC cases don't look anywhere near as cool as the PS4 they are getting that small. The Razer Blade (don't look at the price!) shows how cooling solutions have become much more discreet, and the PS4 itself is an excellent example of this. So it won't be long until we get some really smart living room worthy PC cases and the look is no longer an issue. Ramble sorry lol
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EA/Origin is the exception :D. Those f*****s should be wearing masks and brandishing shotguns. The same games/digital codes can be purchased from Amazon for cheaper than EA charge for the same thing. It's def worth shopping around.

Origin is the exception to the rule on PC because EA have isolated their games to as few online retailers as possible. The only others who do this are Blizzard and Valve, but all their games on release are between £10-20 (a few months after Portal 2's release it was actually given away for free to thousands of Steam users at christmas).

Everyone else, you can buy their games on at least 6 different stores. And those stores are all competing with each other, that is why the games are ridiculously priced.

Consoles don't have that competitiveness yet. Sure you can shop around a few stores and you might get £1 or £2 off, but there is nowhere near the aggressive pricing and discounts on PC.