Does anyone here still play on "ancient" games consoles?

pinky2006pinky2006 Posts: 10,339
Forum Member
✭✭
When I say ancient I mean like the original PlayStation or a Sega Mega Drive or a Nintendo 64.

I remember when me and my boyfriend first moved in together and he left a big cardboard box in the hall and in it, it had an original PlayStation (the big grey one) and a load of games. I asked my boyfriend what was he going to do with it, thinking he was going to get rid of it and he said he was keeping it. He said he has had it since 1996 and it was still working perfectly so why get rid of it. He said a lot of stuff he got in the 90s has been fazed out now so he wanted something to remind him of the great decade that was the 90s rather than pay ridiculous prices for a PlayStation 3 game "where you are only paying for the graphics" he reckons. But on saying that, he has got a DS :D

I was quite surprised as I had a PSOne, which had conked out a couple of years before and everyone I knew who had a PlayStation had either got rid of it or it had stopped working so I thought they were pretty much extinct.

This evening, he was playing on his PlayStation, transfixed to the telly, happy as a pig in sh*t. Bless :D

I have also seen people selling PlayStations on Ebay with games for a fiver :eek:

Comments

• Beth88Beth88 Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont I used to have a PS1 how long ago...I used to think it was amazing so life like!:cool: how things change!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a old Atari somewhere.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    I still play Megadrive, Snes, N64.
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have 2 PS1 machines, both still work! Ones the old type and the other is the newer slimer type.

Id love a super nintendo, I keep meaning to get one, I used to spend hours playing stuff like super mario world, and Donkey Kong.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and my OH are playing mariokart on the SNES now! :)

(Well just a moment ago!)
  • DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elz-Belz wrote: »
    Me and my OH are playing mariokart on the SNES now! :)

(Well just a moment ago!)

Now im really jealous *sulks*
  • Rob FinlayRob Finlay Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an N64 which I still play on. Best console ever IMO.
  • KarmaChameleonKarmaChameleon Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still got my N64. :D Even my brother occasionally barges into my room when he's at home from uni and spends hours playing on it - and he's got an X Box 360! I'd love to still have the....what was it called? Sega Megadriver? Unfortunately it stopped working years ago and we never managed to fix it. Sonic on that used to be fab! And does anyone remember Streets of Rage?

Of course, having said all that, I have to admit that I am a female with little interest in games consoles. I refuse to pay obscene amounts of money on them when I could spend obscene amounts on clothes instead! :D:o

But yeah. N64 rules.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I play N64 all the time, and still buy the games. I haven't got a PS2 or anything like that. I recently spent £40 on Conkers Bad Fur Day (very rare) :o
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The console that I was thinking about getting again was the N64. Basically just to play The Legend Of Zelda - The Ocarina Of Time on again. I think this game is absolutely fantastic, and absolutely massive as well. I dunno, there's just something about this game that draws me to it. My Nephew tells me that he bought this game for the Wii. I'm not sure whether he downloaded this through a connection from the Wii to the internet, but he says he got it for the Wii though. I forgot to ask him the details of how he actually aquired it.
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    pinky2006 wrote: »
    When I say ancient I mean like the original PlayStation or a Sega Mega Drive or a Nintendo 64.

I remember when me and my boyfriend first moved in together and he left a big cardboard box in the hall and in it, it had an original PlayStation (the big grey one) and a load of games. I asked my boyfriend what was he going to do with it, thinking he was going to get rid of it and he said he was keeping it. He said he has had it since 1996 and it was still working perfectly so why get rid of it. He said a lot of stuff he got in the 90s has been fazed out now so he wanted something to remind him of the great decade that was the 90s rather than pay ridiculous prices for a PlayStation 3 game "where you are only paying for the graphics" he reckons. But on saying that, he has got a DS :D

I was quite surprised as I had a PSOne, which had conked out a couple of years before and everyone I knew who had a PlayStation had either got rid of it or it had stopped working so I thought they were pretty much extinct.

This evening, he was playing on his PlayStation, transfixed to the telly, happy as a pig in sh*t. Bless :D

I have also seen people selling PlayStations on Ebay with games for a fiver :eek:

@d and wanting to argue.
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a NES, SNES, Megadrive, Game & Watch (a Donkey Kong one), Playstation, PS One and a PS 2. Well, we've actually had three PS 2's to date.

We've still got everything apart from the two busted PS 2's.

I've got a first gen pink DS and my brother has a blue one. All three of my brothers have PSPs and we've got an Xbox 360 :p

Oh, my other half still plays on his N64 and Gamecube occasionally. He bought a NES not long before we met (four years ago)
    Forum Member
    zx5 wrote: »
    The console that I was thinking about getting again was the N64. Basically just to play The Legend Of Zelda - The Ocarina Of Time on again. I think this game is absolutely fantastic, and absolutely massive as well. I dunno, there's just something about this game that draws me to it. My Nephew tells me that he bought this game for the Wii. I'm not sure whether he downloaded this through a connection from the Wii to the internet, but he says he got it for the Wii though. I forgot to ask him the details of how he actually aquired it.

I agree, Ocarina of Time is a brilliant game, and so is Majoras Mask, which is just as good, if not slightly better. I recently completed both games again, and am now playing through Wind Waker again.
  • ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I still own a 1978 Grandstand console and a 1982 Spectrum!...:D .Not to mention a 1988 Spectrum+2 and a 1986 'Astro Wars' game. All gathering dust in a box in my loft (in good nick though, clean and not water or damp damaged)

And a few Spectrum games: Arnhem, Swords of Bane, Gauntlet, Theatre Europe, World Cup 82 (Artic)...lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    I agree, Ocarina of Time is a brilliant game, and so is Majoras Mask, which is just as good, if not slightly better. I recently completed both games again, and am now playing through Wind Waker again.

Yeah, my Nephew absolutely loves this game. This is mainly all he plays when he brings his Wii over to our place.
  • KarmaChameleonKarmaChameleon Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ocarina of Time is better than anything they have out these days, even if the graphics are comparitively horrendous. :D I find new things every time I play it. I have a gold Majora's Mask (does anyone know why it's gold, by the way? I don't know a lot about these things) but I never really got around to playing it. I rarely play my N64, to be honest, but it's there when I have nowhere to go.

Actually, can anyone help me out with some confusion? Many many years ago when everyone still played N64s, my brother had one and I am SURE we used to play the main game in Lylat Wars together. But I have that game now and the main game is only one player. :confused: Maybe I'm mistaken.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sold my Playstation (big grey one) in 2004 with metal gear sold for £15. no point keeping it considering both PS2's and PS3's play ps1 games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    I still have my MegaDrive and bring it out from time to time - how good was Street Fighter?!

Love the old games!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and the missus have wasted many hours this weekend on Mario Kart 64 - one of the top 10 games ever made, in my opinion.

That and GoldenEye!
    Forum Member
    Ocarina of Time is better than anything they have out these days, even if the graphics are comparitively horrendous. :D I find new things every time I play it. I have a gold Majora's Mask (does anyone know why it's gold, by the way? I don't know a lot about these things) but I never really got around to playing it. I rarely play my N64, to be honest, but it's there when I have nowhere to go.

All the majoras mask cartridges are gold, I dont know why though? Theres also a green cartridge ocarina of time, I knew someone who had it at when it was released, I think it was for pre-ordered games, but cant remember exactly.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss playing sonic on the megadrive stoned out of my head. I practically lived on the starlight zone level, it was so mellow.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an old MegaDrive which we still play Sonic & Road Rash on.

An ancient console at my Mum & Dad's for playing Pong/Handball etc on (Grandstand?). It has a 'rifle' for a couple of shooting games also.

And a 'Space Invaders' self-contained game. From the late 70's/Early 80's?

Ohh, and a Wii. Twelve months time and that'll be ancient!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I also forgot to mention that I had the Atari Lynx handheld console not so long ago. I loved Ninja Gaiden, not sure which series it was though, but it was the one where they used to jump on the roofs at the start of the game, well, you had the option to jump on the roofs anyway. Seeing as this thread is about consoles from the past, here's the games consoles I've had, but not in order though.

N64
    Game Gear
    Atari Lynx
    Super Nintendo
    Dreamcast

I'm stopping there, because the PS2 is nearly a new console. These are all the old consoles I've had. I think that the average person has most likely had more than this though.
  • njeonjeo Posts: 6,341
    Forum Member
    Although I still have both my N64, the SNES and Super Mario Kart has to be the pinnacle of my ancient consoles/games! So many mint levels that I know like the back of my hand...

Something Vague: Another Conkers Bad Fur Day owner over here! Paid so much money for that when it came out... That singing poo monster is just so funny... what a top game!

Oh and Space Channel 5 on the Dreamcast... anyone? Just me? Oh well... I'll go and hide... :D
  • kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still have my SNES - nothing tops Super Mario World :)

Downloaded Sonic 1 and 2 recently on Xbox live ...

You can't beat the scrolling platformers - can't get into these 3d ones :(

Oh.. someone mentioned Road Rash - I used to loovvee that :)