have ls version working perfect for a week so far
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    gardner1 wrote: »
    had h version which froze all the time returned
    had v version which turned off all the time returned
    have ls version working perfect for a week so far

Do you have Freeview HD in your area? The IS version is OK for SD, but if you also receive a HD mux, the box starts marking them for removal as it thinks they're weaker copies of the SD versions.

Quite a shame really as the inside is really nice. Nicely designed PSU, the main PCB is nicely laid out and is of good quality. Uses a Sony DVB-T2 ic. It's the firmware that lets it down.
  • Options
    gardner1gardner1 Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    live in hd area only got it for 4 hd channels deleted all the others from epg
  • Options
    stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Even further south than you. It was the Welling store SE London/Kent borders.

Thanks .
    .Winston of Welling has a ring to it if you ever get to the house of Lords:D
    As Tesco are always asking ..I'll have a little moan as to why i do not get the handouts too..

As I am having a spot of bother with Audio on HD channels with new Panny TV..
    it seems that £30 will be well spent by me if it is Sony quality even on just the HD channels..
  • Options
    TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    My V box wasn't faulty after all, think it just didn't like my little 22" tv. Hooked it up to the 32" LG and all is well :) Box looks good so far. Quite like the UI on it (the grid guide shows more channels on the grid than the internal DTT tuner on the LG tv. Haven't had any proper crashes yet either, other than slow to come back out of standby - is it recommended to turn off the standby feature?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My V box wasn't faulty after all, think it just didn't like my little 22" tv. Hooked it up to the 32" LG and all is well :) Box looks good so far. Quite like the UI on it (the grid guide shows more channels on the grid than the internal DTT tuner on the LG tv. Haven't had any proper crashes yet either, other than slow to come back out of standby - is it recommended to turn off the standby feature?
  • Options
    brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

is it recommended to turn off the standby feature?

It's entirely up to you. The low-power standby feature will save a little electricity when the unit is not in use. Also, low power standby may reduce the "RF Loop-through" to your TV, making your TV unwatchable when the box is in low-power standby.
    There is also a function to switch the box off after a set amount of time (if no channel change etc). This can be disabled too, if you want.

If you have your box connected by HDMI, and you can receive the HD channels, see if your left and right audio channels are reversed. (This can be done by watching and listening to the BBC HD Preview Test Card). My L & R are reversed on HDMI, but correct on SCART.

Chris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Chris I'll take a look at the test card when it's bet on (I assume the BBC hd site should tell me the times?)

Haven't noticed the loop through power issue. Think I'll do as others have suggested and delete all but the hd channels, and just flick over when I want to watch something hd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Chris I'll take a look at the test card when it's bet on (I assume the BBC hd site should tell me the times?)

Haven't noticed the loop through power issue. Think I'll do as others have suggested and delete all but the hd channels, and just flick over when I want to watch something hd

The BBC HD channel does not give a schedule of when the Test Card is shown, but it's about once per hour, for 5 minutes or so.
    As you have the V (Vestel) box, it does not suffer from the lost HD channels that the IS box does. So, no need for you to delete the SD channels on your box.

Thanks for your attention regarding the L & R audio, and anyone else who has the Vestel clone box.

Chris.
  • Options
    Howard_THoward_T Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    gardner1 wrote: »
    live in hd area only got it for 4 hd channels deleted all the others from epg

I wondered if that would be a work around for th IS box.:) I'll keep mine then as its quite good for the price apart from that problem.

Another niggle I have with it is that when you change channels the blue bar at the top of the picture shows the channel name etc. but not the now and next info which is shown by every other digital box i have.
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brumlad36 wrote: »
    The BBC HD channel does not give a schedule of when the Test Card is shown, but it's about once per hour, for 5 minutes or so.

Chris.

The HD test card has not been seen for quite a while now sadly.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw it last Thursday walking past a shop that had the BBC HD Preview running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the same, Ray, but I saw it just the other night, after BBC HD had finished broadcasting. Can't remember what night is was, but it was when I was receiving Sandy Heath, during a "lift".

Chris.
  • Options
    Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the same, Ray, but I saw it just the other night, after BBC HD had finished broadcasting. Can't remember what night is was, but it was when I was receiving Sandy Heath, during a "lift".

Chris.

That is good news. All we need now is an official schedule from someone who knows. And is it in 1080i or 1080p?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and it certainly does like to do its own thing. It must have a sensitive tuner, as I needed 18db of attenuation to reduce the muxes it detected from 9 to 7 (the 7th only showed a duplicate of Channel Zero), so avoiding multiple copies of many main channels.

I managed to delete BBC1 on the 3rd attempt, before it marked all the HD services for deletion itself when tuning to that channel (though it did resurrect it all by itself some time afterwards. Very odd). It has rebooted after a good session of channel changing, apparently factory reset itself once and dropped into standby a couple of times. It also would not display video on all channels, though it kept displaying the graphics and subtitles, but no actual picture, then reset itself again. :confused:

I stumbled on the 'Exit' button signal/quality display for most channels, but for some reason it doesn't always work on some BBC channels!?

So if I'd paid Tesco more than £30 (plus they gave me a £6 voucher off my next shop), it'd go back, but for that money it can stay until I see if I can live with it, or it behaves ok just as an HD channel box.

Oh, if you need a cheap HDMI lead that works well with everything I've plugged it into, Poundland do them for... a pound!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Fudge wrote: »
    Oh, if you need a cheap HDMI lead that works well with everything I've plugged it into, Poundland do them for... a pound!

Yeah it's amazing the price some people will pay for leads. The £1 hdmi cable will be no worse than any other lead. Its probably only 1m in length but that will be enough for most people.
  • Options
    StasisLeakStasisLeak Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Has anyone else noticed that the left & right audio channels are reversed, when connected via HDMI? In other words, when a car travels from the left of the screen to the right, the audio travels from right to left!
    This only happens using HDMI. The SCART output has the left & right audio correct.
    I've tried a different HDMI lead and socket at the TV end, but evidence points to the STB outputting reverse stereo on its HDMI output.
    When receiving BBC HD Preview audio test (from Sandy Heath) I was able to prove the fault.

Chris.

It is also reversed using a scart lead, bit annoying isn't it?
    BBC HD show a test card now and again that transmits the audio at intervals on the left and right audio channels, this is also how I confirmed it
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is good news. All we need now is an official schedule from someone who knows. And is it in 1080i or 1080p?
    It's 1080i (Too fast for p?) I spotted this last week sometime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Which is best to get, the STBHDV2010 (Vestel) box or the 'IS' box that's being sold for £30 on Tesco direct?

I could do with a basic HD box now that my area has gone digital and got the HD Mux, but I don't want to spend a fortune on it. I know these tesco boxes wont be as polished as Hunax boxes, but are they usuable or do they suffer from crashing and picture problems?

So far I have found the IS model randomly switches to standby (this does not occur with the V model).
    Unlike the V model you cannot sort the programs into the order you want them on the IS model.
    The IS model does have a timer and two scarts (unlike the V model) .
    The IS model has an adjustment for contrast and brightness and is supposedly able to receive channel zero after 24 hours on standby (which is maybe why it keeps going into standby?)
    The V model does not support Channel Zero and has no brightness/contrast adjustment.

Picture quality is about the same on both models, The IS has a 576i option where as the v model only has 576p. Both models support 720 & 1080 i / p

The V model has reversed stereo, I have not been able to test the IS model as yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kurgan2 wrote: »
    It is also reversed using a scart lead, bit annoying isn't it?
    BBC HD show a test card now and again that transmits the audio at intervals on the left and right audio channels, this is also how I confirmed it

Phew! I'm glad it's not just me that noticed this (or a faulty V box).
    Maybe the SCART that I used to test with, is wired up with reverse audio (which would make it come out correct).
    I only found the reverse audio on HDMI. I've not tested the L & R via S/PDIF, as my D/A amp is in a different room and I can't be bothered to set up the STBHDV2010 in that room. Although I may get round to it one day ;)

Chris.
  • Options
    Howard_THoward_T Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    kurgan2 wrote: »
    So far I have found the IS model randomly switches to standby (this does not occur with the V model).
    Unlike the V model you cannot sort the programs into the order you want them on the IS model.
    The IS model does have a timer and two scarts (unlike the V model) .
    The IS model has an adjustment for contrast and brightness and is supposedly able to receive channel zero after 24 hours on standby (which is maybe why it keeps going into standby?)
    The V model does not support Channel Zero and has no brightness/contrast adjustment.

Picture quality is about the same on both models, The IS has a 576i option where as the v model only has 576p. Both models support 720 & 1080 i / p

The V model has reversed stereo, I have not been able to test the IS model as yet.

IS model, I had to switch off/on then leave in standby for a second night to get Channel Zero to load completely. There isn't much content anyway. Perhaps in the future?
    I have had no hangs or switching into standby, however, at about 20mins past midnight it seems to wakeup and quickly go back into standby for some reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My IS model has now 'lost' all the HD channels :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Well you've got good reason to take it back, and you will still have the £6 voucher to use to buy a Vestel!

There are only 'IS' versions in my local Tesco, so Hobson's choice there, as I'm not using up petrol driving round the area looking for the other types of box.

Got fed up of the box showing 'CrC' (?) and booting again, reinstating the deleted BBC 1, tuning to it by default on reboot and then deleting the HD channels. I'm amazed that this got past even the most cursory quality testing before it was put on sale.

So I deleted everything apart from the four HD channels (the TV has SD Freeview built in anyway) and nothing I have tried has crashed it since. Fingers crossed, as I only bought it for the HD line up, so I'll be happy if it stays this way.