Game of Thrones Season 3 - (for those who have read ALL the Books) - SPOILERS.

Comments

• srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wel..they have to have it to titillate men who don't seem to be able to maintain interest in a story without it...

I wasn't rude about those who were uncomfortable with the content in GoT, in fact I was glad we had a range of views from the (well you started it) Prudish, small minded "boobs = Purile" taliban to the "Saw is the greatest movies ever" "Spartacus was too tame" gore-fiends. Most folk are somewhere in the middle. Feel free to state your opinion on the content, I was happy that some viewers found the content uncomfortable as it shows they're not pulling their punches, but don't insult the rest of us who don't agree with you.
    I like boobs and I'm not ashamed of that. Many men do. But they do not make or break a show. The Showtime adaptation of the Arthurian legend, "Camelot" was dreadful and I gave up a few episodes in. Despite it having Bond-girl Eva Green's boobs on display. This show failed because it was a poor show.
    Also these scenes also have merit in terms of story. Never does the music come on while the camera slowly caresses naked female forms. There is always dialogue and plot or character development in these scenes. Take Dany's bath scene where Daario visits. Great scene and not just because of Dany's boobs. The scene would have worked almost as well had she remained covered.
    HBO are not showing boobs to attract the masses, the opposite. The sex and violence alienates a mainstream primetime audience. They leave the BBC (Merlin), ITV (Downton Abbey) or numerous US network channels to cater to this mainstream primetime audience while they cater to the more discerning audience who seek out quality tv and pay for it.

P.S. So's your face.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    I wasn't rude about those who were uncomfortable with the content in GoT, in fact I was glad we had a range of views from the (well you started it) Prudish, small minded "boobs = Purile" taliban to the "Saw is the greatest movies ever" "Spartacus was too tame" gore-fiends. Most folk are somewhere in the middle. Feel free to state your opinion on the content, I was happy that some viewers found the content uncomfortable as it shows they're not pulling their punches, but don't insult the rest of us who don't agree with you.
    I like boobs and I'm not ashamed of that. Many men do. But they do not make or break a show. The Showtime adaptation of the Arthurian legend, "Camelot" was dreadful and I gave up a few episodes in. Despite it having Bond-girl Eva Green's boobs on display. This show failed because it was a poor show.
    Also these scenes also have merit in terms of story. Never does the music come on while the camera slowly caresses naked female forms. There is always dialogue and plot or character development in these scenes. Take Dany's bath scene where Daario visits. Great scene and not just because of Dany's boobs. The scene would have worked almost as well had she remained covered.
    HBO are not showing boobs to attract the masses, the opposite. The sex and violence alienates a mainstream primetime audience. They leave the BBC (Merlin), ITV (Downton Abbey) or numerous US network channels to cater to this mainstream primetime audience while they cater to the more discerning audience who seek out quality tv and pay for it.

P.S. So's your face.

Personally I think we should try harder on these forum to respect people's viewing choice and tastes. I don't have a problem with people that don't like gore or sex, each to his/her own.

My problem is with people that want to change a show to meet their own tastes, ignoring those of other fans. It's like me complaining that Merlin is too family friendly and should be changed to what I like.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

P.S. So's your face.

I'm somewhere in the middle. HBO did one of my top five series' ever with Oz, so sex/ rape, brutality, and lots of naked men (oh yeah they went there!), are nothing new. There's a certain amount of realism that goes with most of it, but there have been times where it looks tacked on in GoT.

I feel the nudity was at times gratuitous in the first 2 seasons of GoT, often times not there to push the story forward, but to grab some fans. However I think in season 3 it's definitely been toned down (except that scene of Robb and his wife chatting that seemed to be an excuse to shoot her bum for five minutes).
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it obvious why there are all the sex scenes in the TV show?

It's because two actors shuffling about in a bed is a hell of a lot cheaper to film than the Battle of Backwater with a giant chain in it.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Rickon and Osha will still be around in Season 4 as Art Parkinson (Rickon) has tweeted he is heading to Belfast and has loads of lines to learn.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Looks like Rickon and Osha will still be around in Season 4 as Art Parkinson (Rickon) has tweeted he is heading to Belfast and has loads of lines to learn.

Perhaps they will encounter Yara during their travels? It would explain why the writers changed her name from Asha in the first place, if they knew the two similar sounding characters of Asha and Osha might interact in the future and didn't want the audience to get confused. It would make sense from a story perspective too, because Ramsay knows Bran and Rickon are still alive and may hunt them down. I can see Yara and Osha forging an alliance to bring down Ramsay to protect Theon and Rickon. I'm interested in seeing where these TV only storylines are heading.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be the closest point to where the TV show is at but I'd recommend reading from Book 1 (A Game of Thrones) as there is a lot of stuff in the books that has been left out of the TV show.

I'm reading from book 1 and I am about to watch series 3 when it becomes available on blinkbox on the 15th of July. Your right There's a lot in the books that I don't remember in the television series and something's I did not understand are explained.

The wait as I don't have Sky and the irresistible urge to find out what happens to the characters has made me read most of the spoilers on wiki unfortunately. I have forgotten some of it though.

I don't see how they can produce seven series, if series 3 and 4 are both based on storm of swords, it will have to be eight or even nine. I heard that four starts two thirds through book 2 of storm of swords and they might takes stuff from feast of crows and dance of dragons.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see how they can produce seven series, if series 3 and 4 are both based on storm of swords, it will have to be eight or even nine. I heard that four starts two thirds through book 2 of storm of swords and they might takes stuff from feast of crows and dance of dragons.

The Producers of the show have talked about telling the story over 80 or 90 hours (with 80 being mentioned the most often) so they may well be aiming for 8 Seasons.

They have said it won't be 10 seasons.

A lot will depend on when (or if) GRRM gets the remaining books out.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If books 6 and 7 are as big as Storm of Swords, there'll be enough material for 10 seasons! I am hoping for a minimum of 6 seasons, though that won't be enough to do the story justice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like we'll be getting the Ser Dontos/Sansa plotline up and running at last as Dontos actor Tony Way was been seen in Belfast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I've just finished reading A Storm Of Swords and I felt a bit disappointed at the re-introduction of Lady Catelyn. I expected it to go into a bit more depth about how this all came about but instead it was one paragraph that just said "she doesn't speak but she remembers" and then a Frey got a bit of a hanging.

Having just read a few reviews for A Feast For Crows, it doesn't sound like this character gets any more explanation than the previous book. What's the point in introducing a character if you're not going to go into any depth about the why's and hows of them coming to be?

There weren't too many complimentary reviews for this book so I'm wondering whether I should even bother getting it now? It sounds like Tyrion isn't in it, Jon isn't in it much and it focusses on minor characters like the Greyjoys (who I've never had any interest in from the start).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I've just finished reading A Storm Of Swords and I felt a bit disappointed at the re-introduction of Lady Catelyn. I expected it to go into a bit more depth about how this all came about but instead it was one paragraph that just said "she doesn't speak but she remembers" and then a Frey got a bit of a hanging.

Having just read a few reviews for A Feast For Crows, it doesn't sound like this character gets any more explanation than the previous book. What's the point in introducing a character if you're not going to go into any depth about the why's and hows of them coming to be?

There weren't too many complimentary reviews for this book so I'm wondering whether I should even bother getting it now? It sounds like Tyrion isn't in it, Jon isn't in it much and it focusses on minor characters like the Greyjoys (who I've never had any interest in from the start).

It's the weakest book in the series, but still a worth a read IMHO. There's no way HBO will be able to stay faithful to it though, not enough happens.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't like the 'Dark' Catelyn thing either as it starts to undermine the fundamentals of the story if you can bring main characters back from the dead. I think GRRM recognized that and choose to keep her as a purely peripheral figure - basically just a ghost of Cat.

I know a few people who gave up with AFFC, it's hard going compared to the first 3(4) books. Saying that if you want to commit to the longer story then you have no choice, and ADWD was a lot better.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like the 'Dark' Catelyn thing either as it starts to undermine the fundamentals of the story if you can bring main characters back from the dead. I think GRRM recognized that and choose to keep her as a purely peripheral figure - basically just a ghost of Cat.

I know a few people who gave up with AFFC, it's hard going compared to the first 3(4) books. Saying that if you want to commit to the longer story then you have no choice, and ADWD was a lot better.

It's a shame Beric Dondarrion had to go so that we could get Zombie Cat. He was a much better character than living Catelyn never mind the mute rotting bag of bones we're stuck with now.
    I'm know I'm going to be in the minority here but I actually enjoyed AFFC more than ADWD, I'd say AFFC is 3/5 and ADWD is 2/5.
    AFFC might not have featured many of the main characters but it didn’t feel quite as boring as ADWD.
    Maybe if I read it again I’d change my mind but I have absolutely no intention of doing so when there are so many other (completed) books deserving of my attention.
    Forum Member

I agree in a way but Beric Dondarrion was also the un-dead, however I think what made his character work was the fact that he could speak and communicate. I haven't read the other parts about Catelyn's un-dead character but if she can't speak, what's the point?

Is she just a mascot for the brothers without banners?

I like the idea of the un-dead character of Catelyn but I don't think making her mute was the best way to go forward. The saving grace of these books is the fantastic dialogue GRRM uses and which translates perfectly onto the small screen.

Michelle Fairley is such a brilliant actress that if they do bring her back as dead Cat, it's a waste of her acting ability as all she'll have to do is stand there and nod whenever they come across a Frey or a Bolton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't read the other parts about Catelyn's un-dead character but if she can't speak, what's the point?

Is she just a mascot for the brothers without banners?

She can't speak out loud but can still communicate, she becomes the leader of the BWB (or a faction of them anyway).

Pretty sure the show will have her able to speak though.
    Forum Member
    She can't speak out loud but can still communicate, she becomes the leader of the BWB (or a faction of them anyway).

Pretty sure the show will have her able to speak though.

I hope you're right. I think it would work much better.
  • delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading from book 1 and I am about to watch series 3 when it becomes available on blinkbox on the 15th of July. Your right There's a lot in the books that I don't remember in the television series and something's I did not understand are explained.

The wait as I don't have Sky and the irresistible urge to find out what happens to the characters has made me read most of the spoilers on wiki unfortunately. I have forgotten some of it though.

Season three also had scenes from book 5 in it, and in any case books 4 and 5 don't have much more than a seasons worth of material between them.
    I think the show will have caught up to the books by the end of season 5, leaving hopefully 3 seasons to show us what should be an epic conclusion of the final two books

I don't think martin will write the books in time though, unless he hires some ghost writers
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think martin will write the books in time though, unless he hires some ghost writers

I think the books are pretty much already written, they're just being held back to be released to coincide with the TV Series, ie Book 6 will appear at the start of Series 5 and Book 7 will be released to coincide with the final Series.

It's a dream marketing situation that I'm sure neither HBO or GRRM's publishers will want to pass up.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of the issues with ADWD is that it is more build up twithout conclusion. He had planned to have two big battles towards the end but couldn't really fit them in. Even those would not conclude most of the storylines from ADWD.
    I don't plan to do a re-read until the next book is published. I could cope with all those pages of not much happening in they lead to somewhere. If TWOW moves the plot on sufficiently then ADWD can be forgiven.
    I think there is enough material so far for six seasons. I don't think you could fit the two books into one season. If you did that it would be almost entirely Tyrion and Dany.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of the issues with ADWD is that it is more build up twithout conclusion. He had planned to have two big battles towards the end but couldn't really fit them in. Even those would not conclude most of the storylines from ADWD.
    I don't plan to do a re-read until the next book is published. I could cope with all those pages of not much happening in they lead to somewhere. If TWOW moves the plot on sufficiently then ADWD can be forgiven.
    I think there is enough material so far for six seasons. I don't think you could fit the two books into one season. If you did that it would be almost entirely Tyrion and Dany.

What does tyrion do, apart from go from A to B ?

What does dany do, apart from linger about in B?

There's no way to stretch that material into 20 episodes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the books are pretty much already written, they're just being held back to be released to coincide with the TV Series, ie Book 6 will appear at the start of Series 5 and Book 7 will be released to coincide with the final Series.

It's a dream marketing situation that I'm sure neither HBO or GRRM's publishers will want to pass up.

I'm sure that's what HBO, the publishers and the readers would want, but I'm not sure grrm is up to it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member

In my opinion, season 4 will cover the rest of book 3 and a little of book 4/5 for a few characters (such as Bran). Season 5 will cover book 4/5. By then it'll be 2015, and hopefully the next book will be out by then, which means season 6 can cover book 6. There's no way books 4/5 can be stretched out for two seasons, because many characters only have 1 book's worth of storyline. Characters like Brienne, Arya, Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime. Dany, Sansa and Jon Snow do not have enough material to span two seasons without it being overstretched and dull. I don't see how it'd be entirely Tyrion and Dany- their storylines can be cut down and condensed easily (Tyrion's especially) and lots of other characters have important and big storylines in the last two books that would fit nicely into one season (Cersei's breakdown; Brienne's search of Sansa and Theon and Ramsay's storyline for instance)
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh how I would love this to be true but I’d say it was even more fantastical than Dany and her Dragons.

There is absolutely no chance GRRM has already written the books, the man is over 2 years late with a short story and he isn’t known for his reserved nature.
    If the next book alone was completed he’d be shouting it from the rooftops!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    Oh how I would love this to be true but I’d say it was even more fantastical than Dany and her Dragons.

There is absolutely no chance GRRM has already written the books, the man is over 2 years late with a short story and he isn’t known for his reserved nature.
    If the next book alone was completed he’d be shouting it from the rooftops!

His latest update said he had a quarter of book 6 done - that would be about 300 pages
    However, 200 of them is stuff left out from book 5, so in reality he has written 100 pages since book 5 was finished 2 years ago