70's TV Movies

2»

Comments

• meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    I used to love The Medusa Touch with Richard Burton, very Omen-esque as I remember but maybe it wasn't - I was very young.

I loved that! I remember when West Minster Abbey starts to fall apart and the priest looks so upset it made me cry (admittedly i was about 7 when I saw it!)
  • ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember seeing a movie when I was a kid, which I assume (for some reason) was a TV movie.

And I seem to remember it was about a rich couple being terrorised in their home. A scene that's stuck in my mind is of the couple being threatened at gun point in their large garden beside a water fountain. I think maybe the woman in it had jet black hair. It was shown on (i think) ITV in the late 80s ealry 90s.

Anyone know what this was?

Another TV movie I remember (which seemed like it was on all the time) was about a school bus load of kids who were kidnapped and held underground, with only a pipe to breath through, until the ransom was paid.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    City on Fire
    The Night the Bridge Fell down

Both from the late 70s/very early 80s, and both staring Leslie Neilson! Watched them both as a kid and loved them. It's nigh on impossible to find much about either on the Internet, although there are a couple of clips of City on Fire. If I watched them again now I would probably be majorly disappointed, as I've built them up in my head to be the best things ever! But then again, anything staring Leslie is fine with me.

Also another one - a woman kills her sister and husband by cutting the brake line in the car, so that she can bring up their baby as her own. As the lad grows up she goes mad, starts killing people, and cuts all her hair off. Now, if anyone can tell me the name of that TV movie, I'd be eternally grateful!!!
  • Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    City on Fire
    The Night the Bridge Fell down

Both from the late 70s/very early 80s, and both staring Leslie Neilson! Watched them both as a kid and loved them. It's nigh on impossible to find much about either on the Internet, although there are a couple of clips of City on Fire. If I watched them again now I would probably be majorly disappointed, as I've built them up in my head to be the best things ever! But then again, anything staring Leslie is fine with me.

Also another one - a woman kills her sister and husband by cutting the brake line in the car, so that she can bring up their baby as her own. As the lad grows up she goes mad, starts killing people, and cuts all her hair off. Now, if anyone can tell me the name of that TV movie, I'd be eternally grateful!!!

City on Fire wasn't a TV movie - It's a Canadian theatrical production (one surefire way of telling it's not a TV movie is that Ava Gardner drops an 'F' bomb in it! :eek:). It's the sort of the film though that was 'always on' during the 80s; although I recall ITV showed it last round about the mid-90s, post-10 o clock news and I don't think it's been shown on UK TV since.

Re the mystery film about the mad surrogate mummy, I think you might be referring to the 1982 'video nasty' Nightmare Maker, also known as Night Warning and a couple of other titles. Despite it having fallen foul of the UK censors at one time, people often refer to it as having a TV movie-like quality in reviews. Here's the video cover :)
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    City on Fire wasn't a TV movie - It's a Canadian theatrical production (one surefire way of telling it's not a TV movie is that Ava Gardner drops an 'F' bomb in it! :eek:). It's the sort of the film though that was 'always on' during the 80s; although I recall ITV showed it last round about the mid-90s, post-10 o clock news and I don't think it's been shown on UK TV since.

Re the mystery film about the mad surrogate mummy, I think you might be referring to the 1982 'video nasty' Nightmare Maker, also known as Night Warning and a couple of other titles. Despite it having fallen foul of the UK censors at one time, people often refer to it as having a TV movie-like quality in reviews. Here's the video cover :)

Yes!!!! That looks like it. Thanks. I'm gonna have to try and track it down to watch now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    The Six Million Dollar Man (1973) which spawned the successful TV series.

Steve Austin will be that man :D
  • DeccomajorDeccomajor Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    A couple i remember.
    The Great Houdini (1976) starring Paul Michael Glaser.
    Raid on Entebbe (1976) starring Charles Bronson.