Nicki's ignorance.

Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
Forum Member
I have swayed back and forth in liking Nicki in this ...mostly I like her but I went off her a little at the end of last night's programme when Ryan was saying goodnight and thanking the judges.....it showed the judges and Nicki completely ignored Ryan as she was too busy texting....very rude!

Comments

• ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    I think it reasonable to say that everything about her is self-obsessed, and a technicolor pose, so I expect she was updating her Twitter feed so that her followers can know when she is able to take her next bowel movement.

I found it very hard to watch this season at first, and missed a lot of the earlier auditions because I couldn't bear to watch Nicki, but I've forced myself to watch the live rounds and she is now just about tolerable. I may even come to like her as she made me laugh last night with the "Spanish Ken doll" remark to Devin, because he did look like that in the red jumper.

That's not to say the other two newbies are much better. Keith Urban (who?) keeps making me think I've tuned into Australian Idol, and motherly Mariah seems incapable of saying anything negative. It took me several shows to learn to ignore/block out her inflated breasts (not due to attraction, but how distracting they are, being so much larger than her chiwawa face), and I was glad they were more covered up last night.

Poorest panel they've ever had really, and they will only get away with it for one season because X Factor USA has the same problem.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    I quite like all the panel....Randy is a bit hammy at times...:rolleyes:

I like Keith Urban and also like his critiques and Mariah seems to me to be a nice person...she hasn't shown the diva in her yet I don't think :D

To be honest I'm struggling to remember previous panels...:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    I didn't notice Nicki ignoring Ryan but I wouldn't be surprised at all. I admit she can be funny at times, intentionally or not, but she's too centered on looks I think. I don't really rate her qualifications to judge voices, since she can't really sing herself.

As for Mariah, personally I think she's beautiful but her breasts can be very distracting. I've never agreed with most of her fashion choices. And as for judging, I know she likes to stay positive, but I do like her voice critique as she knows what she's talking about.

I do like Keith and Randy as well. Since this is my first time watching Idol I can't compare the previous judges but I highly doubt JLo would blow me away.
  • kitbitkitbit Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    I miss Kara DioGuardi from a few seasons ago. She's a songwriter first and a singer second. Always managed to give straight constructive criticism on the vocals without descending into 'if you can't compliment the singing, compliment the clothes'.

Niki is relevant I suppose in that for a successful career in today's industry, it does seem to really matter (almost more?) what you look like and whether you're 'marketable'.

But Idol is supposed to be a singing competition so it's the same old argument: talent vs popularity?

I just listen to the voices these days. Winning doesn't matter so much. We've had incredibly successful losers - Chris Daughtry - and some very boring winners recently. So long as the person gets a platform to create a career from, I'm happy. :)
  • Kasper69Kasper69 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ribtickle wrote: »
    I think it reasonable to say that everything about her is self-obsessed, and a technicolor pose, so I expect she was updating her Twitter feed so that her followers can know when she is able to take her next bowel movement.

I found it very hard to watch this season at first, and missed a lot of the earlier auditions because I couldn't bear to watch Nicki, but I've forced myself to watch the live rounds and she is now just about tolerable. I may even come to like her as she made me laugh last night with the "Spanish Ken doll" remark to Devin, because he did look like that in the red jumper.

That's not to say the other two newbies are much better. Keith Urban (who?) keeps making me think I've tuned into Australian Idol, and motherly Mariah seems incapable of saying anything negative. It took me several shows to learn to ignore/block out her inflated breasts (not due to attraction, but how distracting they are, being so much larger than her chiwawa face), and I was glad they were more covered up last night.

Poorest panel they've ever had really, and they will only get away with it for one season because X Factor USA has the same problem.

Keith is one of the top country stars and has won many many awards and as such is more than qualified to be on the judging panel for Idol :)
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the new panel, I think Keith and Nicki offer a lot, Keith borders slightly on the being too nice side, but I like that Nicki will openly tell even her favourites that they mess up. The one thing that really irritates me on X Factor is when a mentor praises their sub-standard act (usually it's Gary Borelow) and isn't honest. Randy is there through perseverence and of the 4 on the panel, I would probably miss him least.

I think the main issue with the judging panel is having Mariah critique last. Often she seems to have said her piece, but because Ryan isn't ready or doesn't speak right away, she continues to go on and on. I now fast forward her critiques. There have also been a couple of times I've felt it possible she has an earpiece in, I think she told one girl she "made her sick" and she clearly meant it in a good way, she quickly followed with "explain you mean sick in a good way" as if she was repeating something being said in her ear word for word without thinking. She did something this week as well, I think during the girls Top 10 performances that made me question if her opinions were truly her own.
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    Kasper69 wrote: »
    Keith is one of the top country stars and has won many many awards and as such is more than qualified to be on the judging panel for Idol :)

But that's really only in the US. Idol is sold for broadcast to other countries and seen via the internet, and many, if not most international viewers, won't have heard of him. Now, if it had been Tim Urban on the panel. ;)

I've checked out his record sales, and while he has been very successful in the US, had some success in his native Australia, and a few hits in Canada, he has yet to make any impact elsewhere, across a 23-year recording career.

In the UK his highest charting studio album was a #73, an earlier one reached the dizzy heights of #88, and a Greatest Hits just scraped the top 40 album chart. His singles have not fared better - there were 14 number 1's in the US country chart, but in the UK his highest chart entry was 88 (a decade ago), and only one other appearance at 194. He hasn't received any certifications for sales in Europe - that I can uncover.

Mind you, having said all that, precisely the same could be said of Kara Dioguardi when she joined the panel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ribtickle wrote: »
    But that's really only in the US. Idol is sold for broadcast to other countries and seen via the internet, and many, if not most international viewers, won't have heard of him. Now, if it had been Tim Urban on the panel. ;)

I've checked out his record sales, and while he has been very successful in the US, had some success in his native Australia, and a few hits in Canada, he has yet to make any impact elsewhere, across a 23-year recording career.

In the UK his highest charting studio album was a #73, an earlier one reached the dizzy heights of #88, and a Greatest Hits just scraped the top 40 album chart. His singles have not fared better - there were 14 number 1's in the US country chart, but in the UK his highest chart entry was 88 (a decade ago), and only one other appearance at 194. He hasn't received any certifications for sales in Europe - that I can uncover.

Mind you, having said all that, precisely the same could be said of Kara Dioguardi when she joined the panel.

The thing is its an American tv show and the judges are picked for who their viewers like. Therefore i think as a judge he is great. Like i said hes won loads of awards, he gives good critiques and really seems to care about the contestants. Sure his music may not have done great here but country isnt big here. I have three of his albums on my ipod though :) Hes probably my favourite judge ever on a tv music talent show :)
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo March wrote: »
    I quite like all the panel....Randy is a bit hammy at times...:rolleyes:

I like Keith Urban and also like his critiques and Mariah seems to me to be a nice person...she hasn't shown the diva in her yet I don't think :D

To be honest I'm struggling to remember previous panels...:confused:

I agree - Nikki Minage is quirky, sometimes a bit harsh, but interesting. I think they are a more honest panel than last years Stephen Tyler and Jennifer Lopez. Were there only three last year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - Nikki Minage is quirky, sometimes a bit harsh, but interesting. I think they are a more honest panel than last years Stephen Tyler and Jennifer Lopez. Were there only three last year?

Yea Randy Stephen and Jennifer.
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kasper69 wrote: »
    Yea Randy Stephen and Jennifer.

Yeah and Whopez were they?

The judges this year are better but I have said to family before that I think Mariah is reading off of cards placed around. One time when giving her critique to one of the girls she was looking to the corner of the table and then under the table as if there were cards with all the girls names and she was looking for the right one. Another time she was stuttering a lot and it seemed as if someone was telling her what to say.

Also I just think that sometimes when she claps her face tells the complete opposite. When one of the top 3 were announced I noticed she did not look impressed at all even though she was clapping. So I don't know if all of her critiques are her own or if they are telling her what to say.

I have also noticed Minaj was more truthful in the earlier rounds of the competition but since the live shows started she has been too nice with her critiques. It is though they have told her not to say anything negative.

Keith sometimes seems to be holding back on what he really wants to say when the contestant has clearly not sung very well and too polite about it.

Randy is annoying but overall the judges panel this year are better than the last two years. At least "Stellar" is better than a "he he he he he" fake laugh and "you're so good it's crazy" fake critique.
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrufox86 wrote: »
    Yeah and Whopez were they?

The judges this year are better but I have said to family before that I think Mariah is reading off of cards placed around. One time when giving her critique to one of the girls she was looking to the corner of the table and then under the table as if there were cards with all the girls names and she was looking for the right one. Another time she was stuttering a lot and it seemed as if someone was telling her what to say.

Also I just think that sometimes when she claps her face tells the complete opposite. When one of the top 3 were announced I noticed she did not look impressed at all even though she was clapping. So I don't know if all of her critiques are her own or if they are telling her what to say.

I have also noticed Minaj was more truthful in the earlier rounds of the competition but since the live shows started she has been too nice with her critiques. It is though they have told her not to say anything negative.

Keith sometimes seems to be holding back on what he really wants to say when the contestant has clearly not sung very well and too polite about it.

Randy is annoying but overall the judges panel this year are better than the last two years. At least "Stellar" is better than a "he he he he he" fake laugh and "you're so good it's crazy" fake critique.

The main thing I miss this year with the judges is any sense of teamwork. It's a pity that Nicki and Mariah never worked out their differences, it seems to have caused a massive rift in the panel and now the judges barely even aknowledge each other. A lot of people say that 4 judges is too many but I think it can work, just not if the four people never interact!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion Kara was the best AI judge, a fair judgment and constructive criticism. She knew what she was talking about.

The hyperbole the current judges heap upon the contestants is absurd and unrealistic, i.e. calling someone a 'superstar' and often they have more to say about the clothes and how attractive they are. I find Nicki Minaj self-obsessed, often seems to embarrass the singers and is totally unqualified to judge (and advise) singers.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    baroquepop wrote: »
    In my opinion Kara was the best AI judge, a fair judgment and constructive criticism. She knew what she was talking about.

The hyperbole the current judges heap upon the contestants is absurd and unrealistic, i.e. calling someone a 'superstar' and often they have more to say about the clothes and how attractive they are. I find Nicki Minaj self-obsessed, often seems to embarrass the singers and is totally unqualified to judge (and advise) singers.
    The 'pianist' comment she made last night was said to be controversial and to bring the attention back to her. I have only ever seen her on this programme so can only judge her on this.She said something last week too that Randy was a little shocked at. I think she should rein her comments in a little.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo March wrote: »
    The 'pianist' comment she made last night was said to be controversial and to bring the attention back to her. I have only ever seen her on this programme so can only judge her on this.She said something last week too that Randy was a little shocked at. I think she should rein her comments in a little.

I don't. I hope she continues to make fun of this idiotic censorship crap; they had earlier censored her for saying what appeared to be "ballsy".

Fcuk that. Fcuk them. Fcuk censorship.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I detested Nikki in the early days but either she has been read the riot act by the producers or she has got real but I agreed with most of everything she said this week.

It may be because she is getting to know the performers and how they are getting better and it is less about her stupid antics to make herself appear off the wall but really makes her look loopy.

So keep it up Nikki, it is not about you or your obsessions, it is about the performers performances and honest critiques which this week you were spot on.
  • kitbitkitbit Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    I have no opinion on how 'qualified' she is as a judge but my god she irritates me. I fast forward her bits now.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does she EVER stop calling every contestant "honey child"?! Aaaaargh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the impression that Nicki and Mariah are both counting down the days until their American idol nightmare is over and they can resign. I've never seen a judge on these shows become so 'over it' so quickly.

Hopefully next years' panel will be better!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the impression that Nicki and Mariah are both counting down the days until their American idol nightmare is over and they can resign. I've never seen a judge on these shows become so 'over it' so quickly.

Hopefully next years' panel will be better!?

Well at first I thought Nicki was alright but since being late for the first live show and for saying that Curtis was the "best male vocalist in the top ten" changed my opinion of her. She is the worst one on the panel this year. The last few weeks she has just been spouting out a load of rubbish unrelated to the singing.

And the fact Randy one moment said it is more than just a singing competition so blah blah to one contestant and then the next contestant comes along and he says "yo remember it is a singing competition..." blah blah. Um so which is it then? Cannot keep changing it to suit.

Mariah has been reading less cards the last few weeks but she seems like she is being forced to do it like someone has something to bribe her into doing the show. She never looks comfortable and like she wants to race out of there as soon as she possibly can. And I think she wants to be seen as the "nice" judge but it isn't working.

Keith says some useful things but a lot of the time it is Nicki type rubbish about clothes or other random things that have nothing to do with the singing. And yes the judges don't work together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrufox86 wrote: »
    Well at first I thought Nicki was alright but since being late for the first live show and for saying that Curtis was the "best male vocalist in the top ten" changed my opinion of her. She is the worst one on the panel this year. The last few weeks she has just been spouting out a load of rubbish unrelated to the singing.

LOL I completely agree - how she could say that with a straight face I have no idea. It really showed the limitations of her understanding of singers. I didn't like any of the guys apart from Burnell, but all of them could sing better than Curtis (apart from Lazaro of course, and even then there wan't much between the two of them).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL I completely agree - how she could say that with a straight face I have no idea. It really showed the limitations of her understanding of singers. I didn't like any of the guys apart from Burnell, but all of them could sing better than Curtis (apart from Lazaro of course, and even then there wan't much between the two of them).

Yeah none of the guys should have made the top 10 this year. They got rid of someone before the public chose the top 10 who was miles better. I cannot remember his name, I am not even sure they gave it. He was quite good. I'm not sure about being better than any of the girls but was definitely the best guy but they sent him home. So I do think the desperation for a female winner has been present throughout and that is why they purposely put through 5 guys who were not very good so it emphasised the girls.

The only injustice with the top 5 girls is that Aubrey did not get one of those places.
  • Rolling StoneRolling Stone Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Minaj is just irritating. Period.
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I have not liked Nicki at all this series but at last she has something relevant to say.

If they are rubbish she says so and what a breath of fresh air that is apart from Oh you had the wrong song choice.

If she carries on this way and cuts out all the affectation, I might change my mind.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the big issue with this panel is that it's RANDOM. It was funny at first not having Mariah and Nicki get on, but it's come to the point now where they physically do not communicate with each other. It's like each thinks the panel only has 3 judges including themselves.