Does any woman get fitted for a bra?

LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not many of us truly know which bra size we are. It is a good investment.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got fitted at 16 and was a 32B then when the straps started to snap I went again at 25 and measured a 32DD. Now I go every year and to different places as the bra sizes vary in different shops!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I went into La Senza recently and was measured up for a bra. prior to that I used to guesstimate my size and would wear a 38c. My measurement came out as a 36D. I went to another branch a few weeks later and was told the same measurement. I'm pretty glad I went and had it done as my boobs are much better supported!
  • cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wearing a 36C, I was told at a fitting I should b a 34DD. It makes such a difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get fitted about 4 times a year, its amazing the difference a properly fitting bra makes.
    M&S are rubbish, their sizes are ridiculous.
    Surpringly, I find Ann Summers very good for a good fit of you have a big cup size. They have very attractive day to day bras and cups go up to huge sizes!
    M&S only large cups are in the granny range..eurgh!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get fitted about 4 times a year, its amazing the difference a properly fitting bra makes.
    M&S are rubbish, their sizes are ridiculous.
    Surpringly, I find Ann Summers very good for a good fit of you have a big cup size. They have very attractive day to day bras and cups go up to huge sizes!
    M&S only large cups are in the granny range..eurgh!

Not true. I wear M&S 38 FF bras and they are not all granny bras.
    For instance
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/Pack-Limited-Collection-Embroidered-Padded/dp/B00AB2FUH0?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_15&nodeId=47591031&sr=1-15&qid=1356897864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bra fitter. Have to say I've had to re-fit a lot of people who've been to M&S and got completely the wrong size. Also they do have quite a restricted range of sizes. Two things that might not be unrelated.

Get fitted regularly; especially if your weight has changed, during and after pregnancy and of course if you start/stop the pill or HRT. Most women are in too big a back size and too small a cup.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bra fitter. Have to say I've had to re-fit a lot of people who've been to M&S and got completely the wrong size. Also they do have quite a restricted range of sizes. Two things that might not be unrelated.

Get fitted regularly; especially if your weight has changed, during and after pregnancy and of course if you start/stop the pill or HRT. Most women are in too big a back size and too small a cup.

Where would you recommend going then? I've never been properly fitted and I can't be arsed to traipse around places.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think bravissimo are good for fitting.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    I've never been for a fitting and have always worn the wrong size. Maybe I should go for one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Rigby and Pellar are my favourite. Highly recommended if you are after a good bra for a long time. Worth the money. But I've now also found Leia lingerie to be a better price and a good 2nd choice in fit.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Advice from the bra fitter please :)

If youre in between cups which is best to go with? Eg if i try a particular bra in a b and c cup, the b is a little small but the c is a little big. Which would be the best choice?
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I'm a bra fitter.
    How would someone get into that line of work?
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,486
    Forum Member
    Go to a small shop where the owner knows what they are doing!
    Recently having lost weight I started at M&S who told me that I was a 36D but only two out of the eight bras they brought me in that size actually fitted well.
    I then went to a small local shop where the lady took her time and told me that I was most likely a 32 back. In the end I bought 4 bras from her, all fit like a dream and each one a different size! I was a 32F in one brand, 32FF in another, 34F in another and 34E in Fantasie. So even if you know approximately your size, you need to try them on.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Plenty of women and men wear the wrong size for years.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Plenty of women and men wear the wrong size for years.

men wear bras? lol
  • cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    men wear bras? lol

Some of them probably should!

I've always just measured myself. Don't know how accurate that is *shrugs*
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    men wear bras? lol

Plenty of men wear bras and knickers and things.
  • Colin HuntColin Hunt Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    chiminey wrote: »
    Rigby and Pellar are my favourite. Highly recommended if you are after a good bra for a long time. Worth the money. But I've now also found Leia lingerie to be a better price and a good 2nd choice in fit.

June Kenton from R&P is so good, she doesn't use a tape measure apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where would you recommend going then? I've never been properly fitted and I can't be arsed to traipse around places.

Debenhams, Bravissimo and I've heard ok reports on John Lewis too. Then there are the small independents too. Of course there are great and not so great fitters in every store. But some shops seem to have a general bad reputation, such as M&S that must be down to shop policy. I do also think there's a bit of dishonesty in some shops and they're telling you a size that they stock - so if they only sell up to a DD then you're a DD.
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Advice from the bra fitter please :)

If youre in between cups which is best to go with? Eg if i try a particular bra in a b and c cup, the b is a little small but the c is a little big. Which would be the best choice?

There's no simple answer I'm afraid. Every bra make differs slightly and then different bra styles differ again. It might be that the particular bra you're trying just isn't a good shape for you, as fit is down to more than straightforward size. If depends on the shape of the actual breast - which varies a LOT. Try on a few different styles. But you want to avoid bulging out of the cup. If you're trying on in a shop get one of the fitters to check it for you.
    Osusana wrote: »
    Go to a small shop where the owner knows what they are doing!
    Recently having lost weight I started at M&S who told me that I was a 36D but only two out of the eight bras they brought me in that size actually fitted well.
    I then went to a small local shop where the lady took her time and told me that I was most likely a 32 back. In the end I bought 4 bras from her, all fit like a dream and each one a different size! I was a 32F in one brand, 32FF in another, 34F in another and 34E in Fantasie. So even if you know approximately your size, you need to try them on.

Definitely try on. The different brands vary. Part of the problem is that the old sizing method meant you had to add 4 inches or so on to your measurement. But modern elastics and fabrics have changed the fit and now for most manufacturers your band size is your measurement or close to it (with some variables). It seems M&S still hold to the old system, hence the 36. However from what I'm seeing in the fitting room, it doesn't match up with the actual bras they're selling.
    You want a store that fits you rather than just measures you. Which is what you got in your small lingerie boutique. It doesn't have to be a small shop though, but I'd definitely say go to a shop that sells the full size range and not just the smaller cups. That way you'll get your correct band/cup combination.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colin Hunt wrote: »
    June Kenton from R&P is so good, she doesn't use a tape measure apparently.

The tape measure is only a starting point, a guideline. No decent bra fitter really needs one, but people expect to see one ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    I concur with everyone saying don't go to M&S- I used to work there, and I know the 'training' that they give their bra fitters. Don't do it ladies!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Noted that isn't your stereotypical granny bra, but its not my preferred bra design type. Also, my local store never have any bras like/similar to the one you put a link to in store in my size.
    A lot of the women around here are very svelte chested/ backed so guess they go with what the majority need, which means its a no go bra zone for me.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've got time to try on a few styles, you don't need a fitter. It's pretty obvious what looks good, feels comfortable and fits well, and each time you reject a style, you learn something. I'd been wearing underwired bras for years and never got a good fit (thanks, Rigby and Peller!), changed to unwired type and found them much more comfortable. Buying a bra should never be a rush job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    I find it deeply suspicious that everyone I know who has used a bra-fitting service has discovered that - shock horror! - they are wearing COMPLETELY the wrong size, when what they should be wearing is some hard-to-find band/cup combination that is only available in the pricier ranges of that particular store.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to one and I was told I am 34B (since then it's changed!) I bought a sports bra from another store and the lady told me to try on a 32DD and it fit. She came in to check it was ok. Feels fine still.