Is Leicester really a fitting resting place for Richard III?

Comments

• ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Blimey, that means Showaddywaddy are actually the most recent famous products of Leicester.:eek:

I think kasabian would get that title musically.:D:D
  • JezRJezR Posts: 1,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a parish church now - it didn't used to be, as above. St Martin's was an odd choice to become the Cathedral - any of the other three options would have been better IMO, even though it is a lot older than it looks. Probably because it is the most central within the present city.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Richard III felt a great affinity towards Leicestershire, and spent his last night there.

That being said, moving him to Westminster Abbey to be with his wife, would be a suitable resting place for a King.
  • verbotenverboten Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I think not.

It seems really unfortunate that the excavation licence granted by the government gave Leicester council and the university the right to decide what happpened to any burials they discovered.

Richard III had no connection with Leicester other than staying there prior to Bosworth and his body returning there after the battle. Surely a more suitable location would be York Minster? Sadly, like medieval monks before them, the people of Leicester, the councillors and the mayor especially, see nothing but tourist money filling their coffers. After all, there is no reason at the moment for anyone to visit Leicester as it's a complete dump, it's once historical townscape shredded by 20th century redevelopment.

The city didn't even have a cathedral until 1927. Richard III, the last Plantagenet king of England, will now be buried in a glorified parish church, most of which was rebuilt by the Victorians. York Minster, or Westminster Abbey, are obviously more fitting locations, but no. The greedy councillors of Leicester will force a reburial in their 'city'. A final insult, especially as it seems likely that the majority of the population of Leicester wouldn't have a clue about the Wars of the Roses or have any interest in Engish history.

York Minster:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Minster

Leicester Cathedral:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicester_Cathedral

:(

Ooooo! get you!!!!:D

You seem to think Leicester is nothing but a blot on the landscape! (and no, I live nowhere near Leicestershire!)
  • allaboardallaboard Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only Leicester is being driven by ££ signs.

Ha ha ha, seriously? York are as motivated by money as Leicester. If York were GENUINELY interested in only the remains and not how they could spin a few bob out of it they would been involved in the dig from the start, not rocking up puffing out their chests now. :D
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicester is hardly fitting for anyone, unfortunately.

having said that, does anywhere else have a "King Richard's Road"?
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaboard wrote: »
    Ha ha ha, seriously? York are as motivated by money as Leicester. If York were GENUINELY interested in only the remains and not how they could spin a few bob out of it they would been involved in the dig from the start, not rocking up puffing out their chests now. :D

Not at all. York already has more tourists than you can shake a stick at (I know - I have to push through hoardes of em to get my shopping;)) I doubt it would make a lot of difference to us, in terms of ££s. It's just decency, really to put him where he was loved, and would want to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all. York already has more tourists than you can shake a stick at (I know - I have to push through hoardes of em to get my shopping;)) I doubt it would make a lot of difference to us, in terms of ££s. It's just decency, really to put him where he was loved, and would want to be.

Ooooo, goodie, does that mean that the visitor center will be free entry, and the price to get into the minster won't be going up then?:D
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just decency, really to put him where he was loved, and would want to be.

Loved so much by the people of York that they left him buried in Leicester for over 500 years ;)

You wouldn't wish that on your worst enemy :D
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    If his remains were to be relocated from Leicester it should be to Westminster Abbey alongside his wife.

York have had 500 years to retrieve his remains, up until now they have shown no interest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westminster Abbey. Nowhere else is suitable
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting debate this. I wonder if there were arguments at the time, when Edward II was buried at Gloucester Cathedral, after being moved there from Berkeley Castle after his brutal demise. Shouldn't he have been buried at Westminster Abbey after all.

For what it's worth I think Richard III should be buried in York, despite all the whingeing from Leicester.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting debate this. I wonder if there were arguments at the time, when Edward II was buried at Gloucester Cathedral, after being moved there from Berkeley Castle after his brutal demise. Shouldn't he have been buried at Westminster Abbey after all.

For what it's worth I think Richard III should be buried in York, despite all the whingeing from Leicester.

I think you'll find it is York who are whinging. ;) Leicester have nothing to whinge about, they have the legal right to bury him.
    Not sure where I think he should be, possibly Westminster Abbey.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    If his remains were to be relocated from Leicester it should be to Westminster Abbey alongside his wife.

York have had 500 years to retrieve his remains, up until now they have shown no interest.

Tell it like it is:D
  • salsamegsalsameg Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago, while at Leicester University I lived not far from Grey Friars. My flatmate was quite religious and went to the Cathedral to worship often, it was well known then (at least to the locals) that Richard was buried across the road. We even once had a conversation with an Archaeology student who said that his lecturer had told him that the King was buried near the Cathedral. I have no idea why they didn't excavate but one lovely old man once told my friend, "he's doing no harm, best to leave him be".

Surely if York really wanted him they would have gone and looked for him. He's spent the last 500 years there, so lets leave him be.

Just to say I was brought up in Leeds and have spent most of my adult life in London and now split my time between there and the Highlands, I also love York.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    verboten wrote: »
    Ooooo! get you!!!!:D

You seem to think Leicester is nothing but a blot on the landscape! (and no, I live nowhere near Leicestershire!)

Uh...it is.
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »

And Leicester showed so much respect they left him buried under a car park...
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uh...it is.

Did you have an unhappy childhood there, by any chance? Or did you get your heart broken there, or by from someone from there?
  • ladyloulouladyloulou Posts: 7,932
    Forum Member
    And Leicester showed so much respect they left him buried under a car park...
    Just out of interest, why have you got such a hatred for Leicester? Not a Derby County fan are you?:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Have you ever been to Leicester, Kappel? I'll agree there are a few streets that smell of curry, but it's not the whole city.
    As Simon Jenkins says "Modern Leicester is dire". It's debatable whether it can even be called an 'English city' any more.

Ohhh! Pushing it there! Borderline xenophobia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, as someone who lives in Leicestershire, I'll agree the city isn't the most wonderful looking place, but the surrounding county contains some of the most lovely unspoilt rural countryside and villages that there must be in the whole country.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ladyloulou wrote: »
    Just out of interest, why have you got such a hatred for Leicester? Not a Derby County fan are you?:D:D:D

No, lol. Not a Derby County fan. I just think Leicester is wrong for the reburial of Richard III on every single level. The only thing in its favour is that he has already been there for five centuries. But that doesn't mean that he should stay there for another five centuries.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/38772

Many more people could visit his tomb in York Minster than will ever make the unpleasant journey into Leicester.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Why? He was an evil king who killed his nephews, why should he be romanticised some 500 years later?

Historians have argued about this description for years...What we have to remember is that medieval Kings and noblemen were more akin to Mafia dons or gangsters than our current Monarchy...For better or worse killing your rivals was part and parcel of medieval politics.....Murder was`t personal...it was business...It does`t make it right but that`s how business was done 500yrs ago.

Umm...where should he be buried....I must admit I thought Leicester at first but I`am now in the York camp because this is where he wished to be laid to rest...or possibly next to his wife in Westminster Abby.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Actually, as someone who lives in Leicestershire, I'll agree the city isn't the most wonderful looking place, but the surrounding county contains some of the most lovely unspoilt rural countryside and villages that there must be in the whole country.

Yep leicestershire villages are stunning.

York can see cash slipping through there fingers and are stamping there feet like little kids, boo hoo.:rolleyes:

Leicestershire is proud to be the final resting place of Richard the 3rd:D