racing game

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
Forum Member
✭✭
i wanted to buy little big planet karting but i read reviews and its got bad reviews. and all the differnt karts race the same.

is mod racing better or sonic allstar racing transformed

Comments

• OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    MNR was a great game, let down by it ridiculously long load times. I played it recently & could hardly find anyone online playing. There 1000s of user created tracks though, so plenty variety.

The new Sonic games looks & handles fantastically & is widely regarded as a Mario Kart beater. I've only played the demo but loved it. I have it on Wii U but it doesn't work so I need to return it but the PS3 version is under £13 here, which is a ridiculously good price

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0090W03KQ/ref=sr_1_9_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1356861482&sr=8-9&condition=new&tag=hukdm-21
  • TV KingTV King Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP should take a look at the following PS3 Karting games which I got or Christmas.

F1 Race Stars
    Little Big Planet Karting
    Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed

I have not yet played any of them but I plan to fire up the PS3 and play them today.

I have played the demo for F1 Race Start but on the XBOX 360 and it was excellent and very fun and enjoyable. But I love anything to do with Formula 1.

The other 2 karting games Littel Big Planet Karting and Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed look great from what I have seen on the boxes of these games and what ever reviews say I think I am going to enjoy them.

The original Sonic Allstar Racing can now be brought really cheaply for under £15.

Also Grand Turismo 5 includes kart racing which is great fun.

There was an updated Grand Turismo 5 released on physical disc I think last year called Grand Turismo 5 Acadamy Edition which includes all the dlc and patches so is the version to go for.

Grand Turismo 5 Acadamy Edition can now be brought for under £20.

I have not played Mod Nation Racing so I can not help you on that one

I hope that all this helps.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As OMTT says - Modnation is a great game hampered by excessive load times.

I personally enjoy LBP Karting, it is a fun kart racer, with some nice additions to the usual formula (using R1 to grab onto objects to swing over gaps is really satisfying). It is also good to see some alternative game modes in (battle mode etc.) Some of the user generated tracks are really strong too, which extends the play life no end. The online racing community was really quiet, not sure if it has picked up over Christmas. There is a demo so it is certainly worth trying that.

I rented Sonic from Lovefilm, and it seemed to be really good. The control scheme is different from MNR/LBPK and the transforming vehicles bit didn't really work for me (didn't care for the planes and the boats were very similar to the karts really). But it looks great and plays really well. Not sure if it was just me getting used to the controls, but it seemed a bit tougher than most kart racers. The first sonic game was dodgy in split screen, not sure if this one is too - but that is something to check out if that is a feature you will be using.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,390
    Forum Member
    Friend got the Sonic Allstars game & I hated it, Felt slow & I found the switching between land/sea & air broke up the flow of the races. The powerup's were dull & I found the whole game experience to be quite boring. Didn't even have much fun playing 2-player split-screen.

F1 race stars was a lot better, Has a good feeling of speed, some nice tracks & I had a ton more fun with it & plan to buy it at some point in the next few weeks.

Little big planet karting isn't bad, But it isn't that good either. MNR was better but of all the kart racers I still think nothing comes anywhere close to beating Crash Team Racing or any of the Mario Kart games (Mario Kart Wii especially).

There 2 games which never get old & which I always end up going back & playing over & over, Especially with friends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    all the reviews on little big planet karting has just got averge reviews.
    plus all the differnt karts race the same
  • TV KingTV King Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Sunday I fired up the PS3 and played F1 Race Stars and
    Sonic Allstar Racing Transformed and I enjoyed both of them.

Both game have excellent graphics and I found that the karts handle well. The level design in both games are great.

I have not yet tried online or multiplayer.

At some point I will get around to playing Little Big Planet Karting which as I have already said in this thread looks very enjoyed and lot of fun from what I have seen on the box.

Does anyone know if Crash Team Racing PS2 version can be brought on PSN and how much is it?

Also can you download these Playstation (PS1) games Formula Karts, Michael Schumacher Racing World Kart 2002 and Mille on PSN?
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I played the F1 Racestars demo and it looks like a brill karting game.

Nice and clean and simple, I don't believe karting games should be complex.

Try the demo and see for yourself!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i played the sonic allstars transformed demo everytime im on the final lap and doing well it goes in to flying mode and slows right down and i lose.
  • FillyourbootsFillyourboots Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I played the F1 Racestars demo and it looks like a brill karting game.

Nice and clean and simple, I don't believe karting games should be complex.

Try the demo and see for yourself!

F1RS is a nice idea which looks great but it's another derivative kart racer, and it's slow too. If there is to be another F1RS game I hope it's more like F-Zero or Rollcage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    F1RS is a nice idea which looks great but it's another derivative kart racer, and it's slow too. If there is to be another F1RS game I hope it's more like F-Zero or Rollcage.

Hi I have F1 Race stars and it is a great familiy game as mentioned its quite simple and easy to get to grips with but I will say that in my opinion its just like Mario Kart for the WII (I also have this) in fact it looks like the same game with different characters and tracks. but its good fun and worth a punt....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    If you fancy a racing challenge then try F1 2012 , there has been a serious amount of work gone into this production but be advised it is difficult to get to grips with and don't make the same mistake as me by going straight to quick race by skipping the driver training in Abu Dhabi, the game will automatically take yo there on first boot up where you will be given basic intructions and tests in steps. you really do need this to get to grips with the game, once you have completed this my advice is to go to proving grounds and go on the time trials where you will be able to pick a car and track to practice and there are also ghost cars of your best time, this will allow you to get to grips with tracks and cars because if you go straight to races you will fail and this will disapoint leaving you feeling like its impossible and too difficult but if you do the driver training you will understand how the car works and how to get the best from the car , and this is really like the real thing. you have KERS, DRS and they actually work . so if you fancy a serious challenge then try F1 2012 follow the instructions and you will see results , after all when games are too easy and you win every time they then become boring, I just know that I will have hours of hard work with this.
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does F1 2012 handle with the pad?

I had 2011 and it was really hard to control with the dual shock - I ended up getting a cheap (rubbish) wheel, which worked fairly well, but was way too much hassle to get out and set up. I ended up hardly playing the game, despite loving it and being a huge F1 fan.