Drive (2011) - Coolest film of the year!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
Forum Member
What a great film. It reminded me of Taxi Driver and other film noir films made in the 70's.

Ryan Gosling is super cool and the intro credit sequence is the most coolest thing I have ever seen - the nightcall song is awesome.

Go see it!!

Comments

• The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    I was somewhat disappointed. It wasn't bad by any means, but the massive praise made me expect more. It was a good film, but that's all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I was somewhat disappointed. It wasn't bad by any means, but the massive praise made me expect more. It was a good film, but that's all.

Yeah, not one of the best films Ive seen but for some reason it sticks in your head after you watch it.

I think it like a modern day "man with no name" western movie. If Clint Eastwood was 50 years younger he would have got the role in this movie.
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant film ... harkens back to the style from the 70s like French Connection. Must've been a lot of disappointed people expecting a Fast and Furious type of action movie though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the music was so good, and fitted every scene what can i say, it was extremely good and i wasnt disappointed but sick of people slagging it off.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fresh slant on a genre heist story...

The directorcoolly charts the central characters' journey from withdrawn existential anomie to emotional self-sacrifice-a heros' journey rendered through the lens of LA noir.

At the beginning,his iconic silver windcheater is like a ghostly suit of armour,at the end,itandits'wearer,have become stained and tainted.

Anything that brings Ryan Gosling to a wider audience is to be applauded.

Toughfilm,which is by turns beautiful and brutal.

Go see.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -_-
    No love for this movie rom me.
    Music and character wardrobe didn't fit with the point in time it was set in (it's not in the 80's he drives a 2011 mustang ffs)

I didn't get any attatchment to Gosling's character and was left thinking he was just a quiet closet psycho like Travis Bickle.

Completely overrated and wrongfully marketed imo.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw it Sunday night and was impressed. The trailer was a complete misjudgment in terms of marketing, the film deserved better really.

It's a sort-of cross between Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Last Man Standing. A strange combination to say the least. Minimalist drama, car chases and extreme violence. Stays with you though and Ryan Gosling was excellent. Shame it didn't make more of Carey Mulligan as she pretty much disappeared in the second half.

Not sure I would have ended it in that way though. It seemed too open to interpretation when it was meant to make a specific point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    The local cinema round our way isnt showing it for some mental reason! Its a big cineworld as well, however Rise of the Planet of Apes is still going strong. Annoyance
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the Taxi Driver comparison.

Different archetypes (Driver is an idealistic knight with a car as his horse, and Travis is a disillusioned dreamer who's feeling let down by his country), different motivations and different types (one is a fairy tale and the other is a white American's wet dream); different colour palette, different vibes, and different textures. Why the comparison? The only things they have in common are... um... :o ... they tried to save a damsel in distress and it didn't work out that well? Oh, both get to drive a car and... they don't talk much.

Taxi Driver is a lot more subtle than Driver, too. I still can't believe that scorpion symbol. Refn might as well to put MAJOR SPOILER on the back of that jacket. That was a huge cock-up on Refn's part.

I enjoyed Driver a lot, though, but it could have been so much better. At least it makes me look forward to whatever Refn will come up with next.
    -_-
    No love for this movie rom me.
    Music and character wardrobe didn't fit with the point in time it was set in (it's not in the 80's he drives a 2011 mustang ffs)

I don't believe it's meant to have a specific setting. Like Rumble Fish that has a mixture of 1950s, 1970s and 1980s. Come to think of it, Driver is a lot similar to Anamorph, which also doesn't specify its time setting, even though it has a 1970s vibe, colour palette and appearance.
    revans9 wrote: »
    It's a sort-of cross between Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Last Man Standing.

I like that comparison.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being shown tomorrow night on BBC2 at 10pm. Premiere on terrestrial.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good film,amazing soundtrack
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got this on Blu Ray but watching it again now on BBC2, really like this film and it has a great soundtrack.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it on Netflix, after hearing so many people rave about it.

It was... OK. I didn't think it was anything special, and it's not something I'd ever bother re-watching.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't bad, but I wasn't overly-impressed. In fact the time he took to answer a question began to irritate me, (maybe that's why the film seemed so long) and Gosling wasn't quite as believable in the character's physical abilities, as I find with that of as Matt Damon as "Jason Bourne."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I liked it, but I think it has pacing issues that needed another edit or perhaps some reshoots to resolve. The first hour feels slow and very little happens, but suddenly in the last half hour things start to happen and it almost feels a little bit rushed. I'd have preferred it, if they'd cut down the first half and re-asigned the time to the second half.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    It would have been better if Gosling was driving K.I.T.T
  • taskertasker Posts: 4,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this last night to see what all the fuss was and erm.
    Put it this way i had a tooth out on Friday and it still aches.
    But it no way aches as much as my eyes for watching this absolute drivel.
    How long can people stare without saying something?

What a load of total absolute massively overrated tosh.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is one of my favourite films, absolutely love it and the soundtrack too
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member

I felt like that too. It was highly recommended to us but when I saw it I just felt '... and?' If I were to rate it I'd give it 5/10 - maybe 6 but no higher. I do think Bryan Cranston adds a touch of class to most things he's in though.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it dull and boring personally. I get the less is more approach but I think it fell flat. Decent soundtrack though.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Grand Theft Movie.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drive was my joint favourite film of 2011 with the final Harry Potter movie. It's a perfect blend of arthouse and conventionalism. I don't think Nicolas Winding Refn will ever better Drive. Though I really really liked Only God Forgives, Refn really went into self-destruct mode there :D
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find films with an emphasis on car chases the most boring type of film to sit through.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    tasker wrote: »
    I watched this last night to see what all the fuss was and erm.
    Put it this way i had a tooth out on Friday and it still aches.
    But it no way aches as much as my eyes for watching this absolute drivel.
    How long can people stare without saying something?

What a load of total absolute massively overrated tosh.

Not overated tosh, just not your cup of tea. It's a beautifully crafted film that looks stunning, the cinematography and stylised look is top notch as is the soundtrack. It's makes a pleasant change from the usual generic rubbish that Hollywood churns out these days.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I find films with an emphasis on car chases the most boring type of film to sit through.

Then Drive might be for you, as there are hardly any in it, which must have confused people expecting a Fast and the Furious type of movie.