Gmail Invites (merged)

flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
Forum Member
So the role out of GMail is being done by invitation only. Presumably to stop the rush of a million people trying to register at once and taking down the servers on the first day.

So my question is does anybody have an invite and fancy throwing it the way of a good old DSer like myself????

I notice other forums are swapping GMail invites so i see n reason why we shouldn't too, and in that spirit i can see no reason why other people shouldn't state their case below :):):)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as they're going for £20+ on eBay, I doubt you'll get far ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £20!!! Oooer! I hope I get an invite then...
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Wow; paying for free, advert funded email. Hmm, makes sence :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does this invite consist of?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow; paying for free, advert funded email. Hmm, makes sence :confused:
    I think the appeal is to get it first, and get a decent email address...
    Forum Member
    Good point. Its bad enough trying to get a decent address from Hotmail - with the leadup to Gmail it will be impossible to get one.

BTW, one of those e-bay links leads to a site where people are exchanging these invites for free. I would pt my addy down, but it would be only a matter of seconds before a torrent of spam comes rushing into my inbox (unless i set up a new Hotmail hust for it).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so does the invite give a username and password to another account where you can set up your own account? etc etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I've got a spare invite...
    Forum Member
    How does it work? Is it that you send an invite to someone then they get a Gmail account and more invites to pass on?

If this is the case if DaysOfYore sends the invite to someone on here, we all get a chance at getting an invite, no?
    Forum Member
    Basically I use blogger (run by google) and actually have two accounts, neither of which I need! One is of my real name, the other similar to my nickname here with digital spy.
    Of course nobody wants my real name account but I'm willing to give away the daysofyore one!
    As for invites I don't use my gmail accounts enough to qualify for them I've found out...
    Forum Member
    so you have daysofyore@gmail.com and are willing to give it away? If so i wouldnt mind having it, just to see what the service looks like.
    Forum Member
    The service is very impressive actually, knocks the hell out of hotmail and co... I'm just looking for a way to activate my invites go you can have a unique address. If I do manage it, I'll have 4 to give away!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can I get hold of one now?!
    Forum Member
    DaysOfYore wrote:
    The service is very impressive actually, knocks the hell out of hotmail and co... I'm just looking for a way to activate my invites go you can have a unique address. If I do manage it, I'll have 4 to give away!
    Oooh, yay. Please share with us lot. :)
    Forum Member
    I'll keep you all posted...
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I was sure some one would have a spare one.

just to clarify, invites have been given to people who owrk for google and who use blogger.
    Forum Member
    Hay hay, my begging paid off, someone finally gave me an invite.

Yay for me.
  • pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote:
    I was sure some one would have a spare one.

just to clarify, invites have been given to people who owrk for google and who use blogger.

Well I registered with blogger today and the account does not exist I get a 404 Error Page.

I emailed the support they say that they reply to every email, no reply yet though

http://pjb007.blogspot.com is my blogger URL

EDIT
    Well the URL is not working but sill no sign of Gmail, oh well I will wait till it goes public, it was worth a try.
    Forum Member
    Did you just register with blogger to get gmail????

they must be aware of this happening, i reckon they might block new sign ups.

On the other hand my GMail is great.
  • pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote:
    Hay hay, my begging paid off, someone finally gave me an invite.

Yay for me.

How did you get an invite?
    Forum Member
    Someone on another it talky board thingy that i'd helped out a few times pm'd it to me.

Which i thought was quite nice given that they're $20 on ebay.
  • StormwatchStormwatch Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    been trying to get an invite for gmail but no luck yet. Worth trying this new 2gb mail service from www.aventuremail.com an irish company but has 2gb storage with no ads or popups looks quite smart
  • John.John. Posts: 9,767
    Forum Member
    Have a look at This Who's going to put the first bid on :D