HMV Refunds/Exchanges

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought WWE '13 in HMV the other day and it randomly started crashing during a match yesterday, so i took it back today and the service i got from the staff was unbelievable, the last time i shopped in HMV before buying this game was a midnight launch for the original Black Ops and i doubt i'll ever be going back

After waiting in line i explained the situation to a member of staff and he said 'i'll have to test it' to which i replied it happens during a certain match, nevertheless he walked into the back and then walked back out in less time than it would take to start up a PS3 let alone try a game, that is when things got disgusting

He said and i quote because i'm still angry about it ''if you would of paid the £1 for disk insurance i could give you a replacement copy right now''

He then look at the disk which has no visible dirt on it or scratches and he turned to a fellow staff member and ask what to do, the second staff member said to me ''go home and wash the disk and if it still doesn't work, we'll exchange it''

How is it possible in a failing company they have staff this incredibly stupid

Needless to say next time i go in i'll be getting a refund and not an exchange and i won't be shopping there again, unless they get exclusive rights to a special edition i want of course

Comments

• SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I bought WWE '13 in HMV the other day and it randomly started crashing during a match yesterday, so i took it back today and the service i got from the staff was unbelievable, the last time i shopped in HMV before buying this game was a midnight launch for the original Black Ops and i doubt i'll ever be going back

After waiting in line i explained the situation to a member of staff and he said 'i'll have to test it' to which i replied it happens during a certain match, nevertheless he walked into the back and then walked back out in less time than it would take to start up a PS3 let alone try a game, that is when things got disgusting

He said and i quote because i'm still angry about it ''if you would of paid the £1 for disk insurance i could give you a replacement copy right now''

He then look at the disk which has no visible dirt on it or scratches and he turned to a fellow staff member and ask what to do, the second staff member said to me ''go home and wash the disk and if it still doesn't work, we'll exchange it''

Needless to say next time i go in i'll be getting a refund and not an exchange and i won't be shopping there again, unless they get exclusive rights to a special edition i want of course

IF u had the bill ya shouldn't have left the store with anything less then a replacement ... the staff are talking shite. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    IF u had the bill ya shouldn't have left the store with anything less then a replacement ... the staff are talking shite. :rolleyes:

I know i just wasn't in the mood to argue with staff

Don't worry though i'd be getting a refund as its a few quid cheaper in the grainger games down the road, i'll try and get myself something nice with the £3 i'll save
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to make it clear you do NOT have to have the receipt to receive a replacement, if what you have is faulty.

This is clearly drawn up in the Sale of Goods Act.

They do NOT have to give you a refund, however they DO have to repair or replace like for like if your goods are faulty. This is true of any purchase within a "reasonable" timeframe. Reasonable is open to interpretation - I think for games a month is perfectly reasonable. It's supposed to be however long it's reasonable for you to have had a chance to try the goods and discover the fault.

It's also up to the seller to prove that the goods do work, not for you to prove that they don't.

So, in other words, in your situation HMV should have simply replaced it with a working copy. If you get problems, tell them they're in breech of the Sale of Goods Act and you'd like to speak to their manager. If the manager is not helpful, ask them for the number of their area sales manager or otherwise an address for their head office. As soon as you write to them they will back down very quickly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had similar experiances with HMV on several different occasions one of those lead to myself being banned from my local store because I dared argue with the manager. According to there customer service dept he was "dissmissed" as this wasn't the first complaint against him or his store, and to rub salt in the wound they said I was welcome back anytime as a valued customer, I don't use them any more online or store as I find them incompetent, rude and genrally rubbish at what they do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the reciept then an exchange shouldn't be a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an update the game is now working

it appears the game has the weirdest bug i have ever seen, if you lose in a certain way at a certain point the game crashing but at no other moment does the game fail in any way

HMV are still massive idiots (and much worse words) and i'll be avoiding them in future
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH, would they be as knowledgable about that particular thing about the game?

being it was a bug in the actual game, a exchange wouldn't have been appropriate, but a refund would have!
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find HMV to be very hit or miss with customer service (then again, a lot of companies are). There have been times I've went back with something and they have exchanged it almost instantly and other times you get nowhere. I think my favourite was being asked if I definitely got the game from HMV, despite the receipt being a HMV receipt and the member of staff who had served me the day before saying he remembered me coming in :D The poor guy did look really embarrassed though :D
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

im sorry, after reading this post, i fail to see how HMV would say that

you have a possible faulty game with a receipt and you wanted an exchange, they would just give it to you, they dont care, they just send it back to wherever it came from..

go home and wash the disc.......

come on:yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im sorry, after reading this post, i fail to see how HMV would say that

you have a possible faulty game with a receipt and you wanted an exchange, they would just give it to you, they dont care, they just send it back to wherever it came from..

go home and wash the disc.......

come on:yawn:

But this did happen, its a fact, what would i possibly gain from lying about HMV, i don't need you to believe me for it to be a fact, if i knew who to report them to over this i would

a link would be helpful if you know

again this is a fact unlike what some people post about shops on here :rolleyes:...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem is people taking games back because they think there's a fault when it's actually a bug (which a quick google could probably confirm and would likely be patched). Yes, it's technically faulty so you'd be entitled to a refund but people taking stuff back to swap for a new game which will have the same bug is costing them money and will only help to put them out of business sooner.

If I was the manager I'd have sent you packing too unless there was an actual fault like a scratched disc (which even then could have been done by you)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ballybally wrote: »
    The problem is people taking games back because they think there's a fault when it's actually a bug (which a quick google could probably confirm and would likely be patched). Yes, it's technically faulty so you'd be entitled to a refund but people taking stuff back to swap for a new game which will have the same bug is costing them money and will only help to put them out of business sooner.

If I was the manager I'd have sent you packing too unless there was an actual fault like a scratched disc (which even then could have been done by you)

well, the op had a receipt and a faulty disc...you would have had to swap it..

unless signs of damage, no proof of purchase and swearing at staff members....

edit

imagine walking into ASDA with proof of purchase, claiming a disc was faulty..

they would just swap it, for the same one

they wouldnt tell you to go home and wash it.

op is a ps3 user as well, blu ray is far more resistant, and that is why game dont put ps3 tiles through their disc cleaner
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't have a faulty disc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You sound like a terrible manager, you wouldn't take a faulty product back

But even though the game comes in plastic wrap inside the box so there 0% chance of scratches, you'd taken one with scratches back

You don't work in HMV liverpool one do you, there seems to be an impossibly small change you are one of the staff members i dealt with yesterday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you telling people what i have now? the game crashing at a certain part freezing my ps3 that is a fault the PS3 is never meant to crash

the only way to tell if it's the disk, part of the game that needs patching or indeed my PS3 is with a new copy of the game
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

dosent matter...

i bought ice age 4 on blu ray from blockbuster....

it had a slight freeze half way through, could have been my player, could have been the disc..

blockbuster just gave me a new one and threw the old one in a skip behind the counter

they dont care
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosent matter...

i bought ice age 4 on blu ray from blockbuster....

it had a slight freeze half way through, could have been my player, could have been the disc..

blockbuster just gave me a new one and threw the old one in a skip behind the counter

they dont care

Sounds like i need to shop in blockbuster, what are there prices like on games, stupid question can you rent games as well as movies?
  • Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last store I had a major issue with a faulty item was comet.

Shops that do not offer decent aftersales care, don't retain customers for long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like i need to shop in blockbuster, what are there prices like on games, stupid question can you rent games as well as movies?

blockbuster are crap, i only go there because i know the manager,...

my point is, they will just send it back

just go to ASDA
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound like a terrible manager, you wouldn't take a faulty product back

But even though the game comes in plastic wrap inside the box so there 0% chance of scratches, you'd taken one with scratches back

You don't work in HMV liverpool one do you, there seems to be an impossibly small change you are one of the staff members i dealt with yesterday

I am actually going to defend (somewhat) this user on this one. The glitch (and seeing its THQ... you are bound to get plenty of them) is just that a glitch, if everybody started trading in over a simple glitch then it would cost the company quite a bit. The problem wasn't the disk but THQ's idiotic staff who fail to test these games properly. With that said, the law is the law and they should put the customer first... because without them they are even more ****ed.

The best situation in any of this is to actually train the staff. If games are coming back with the same glitch make the customer aware that replacing the disk will not solve the error. It is an unknown glitch but is exactly that, log in into a system so it becomes known and if that customer doesn't return then the problem has been resolved. If not then they can flag it so they can make other customers aware, should any return with the game highlighting it... In fact why am I typing an simple essay on how HMV could simply improve their customer relations.
  • Flagg613Flagg613 Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I have had good and bad service from Hmv with refunds or exchanges.

There is one staff member in my local Hmv who tries to blame it on everything but the item being faulty.

Took Descent 2 back a while ago because disc would not play at all, Same staff member said "I can see cat hairs on your clothes are you sure a cat hasn't scratched the disc" I said there isn't any scratches on the disc it just won't play. She replied with "I bet it's your dvd player" I said It's not as I tried it in two other dvd players and it wouldn't work. Finally she exchanged the dvd.

Took Spartacus Vengeance back day after boxing day, Case was shattered inside. The same Staff member opened it and asked what problem was, She said "Oh it's only the case what's broken, I can't exchange that". Decided to go to the bottom Checkouts and they exchanged it straight away.

Think I'll just avoid her in the future.

I bought the Lost series a while back, got to the final series and one of the episodes kept freezing, I took it back 6 months after purchase and explained what was wrong, they exchanged no problem, which I thought they couldn't do as it was past the 21 day returns policy.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flagg613 wrote: »
    I bought the Lost series a while back, got to the final series and one of the episodes kept freezing, I took it back 6 months after purchase and explained what was wrong, they exchanged no problem, which I thought they couldn't do as it was past the 21 day returns policy.

See my comment above regarding reasonable timeframes - your situation is a perfect example. They were legally obliged to exchange it regardless of their returns policy - that's what they mean when they say "This does not affect your statutory rights".