graphic card advice for playing HD quality movies/streaming

AdsAds Posts: 37,055
Forum Member
My PC is around 4 years old and has an Intel I5 CPU, 4GB ram and 64bit OS.

The graphic card I currently has struggles with HD and jitters quite a bit - ATI Radeon 5700

I assume the above set up is not sufficient for playing HD movies and Blu Rays then?

Any tips on a good graphics card which can handle this which is reasonably priced?

Thanks

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought that set up would be perfectly adequate for what you want.
    What are you actually playing when it "jitters"?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    My PC is around 4 years old and has an Intel I5 CPU, 4GB ram and 64bit OS.

The graphic card I currently has struggles with HD and jitters quite a bit - ATI Radeon 5700

I assume the above set up is not sufficient for playing HD movies and Blu Rays then?

Any tips on a good graphics card which can handle this which is reasonably priced?

Thanks

Install VLC and try then.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member
    By jitters, I mean it lags a bit. I have tried VLC and it doesn't cure it.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member
    One extra thing I should add, is it possible to get a graphics card thats also an HD tv tuner card? So I can run a tv signal straight into it and use it for watching HDTV, as a PVR etc?
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    The one I currently have in my HTPC which is driving the 1080p monitor I'm typing this on and driving my 47" LG TV with BBC1HD is a Radeon 5400 HD.

Does the job lovely!

(Check what output sockets you want on the back as they do vary. DVI and HDMI or two DVIs)

Also jitter and many many other problems are not always the graphics card and can be the Motherboard. I've just changed mine two days ago and it's fixed all sorts of problems)
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    One extra thing I should add, is it possible to get a graphics card thats also an HD tv tuner card? So I can run a tv signal straight into it and use it for watching HDTV, as a PVR etc?

HD TV Tuner?

Freeview or Satellite?

Either way, it's best to just get a separate card that fits in your PC for that (and that you have a spare socket for). That way you can just change one thing if something goes wrong rather than some complex hybrid thing going wrong.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Radeon should be adequate to do the job. Try Potplayer. It plays HD very well with lesser graphics cards.
    I have a 5750 in my old PC and never had any problems playing HD.