Can you go to vote in a different polling station ?

CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all

If you've already got your polling card, and it tells you where your polling station is, can you ignore that and go to another one instead ?

Cheers :)

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I don't think you can. They tick your name off a big register when you go to vote and the other station wouldn't have your name.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I don't think you can. They tick your name off a big register when you go to vote and the other station wouldn't have your name.

Oh I see.

I think they should use some sort of computerised database instead of a massive manual register (to look for your name).

By using up-to-date technology, they could link up all the polling stations in your region, and it wouldn't matter which one you went to.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    Oh I see.

I think they should use some sort of computerised database instead of a massive manual register (to look for your name).

By using up-to-date technology, they could link up all the polling stations in your region, and it wouldn't matter which one you went to.

A computerised dbase would be open to external hacking.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,908
    Forum Member
    I don't get how polling station locations work.

I have to walk passed a polling station (200yds away) to reach the one I'm meant to vote at (which is in another part of town).... and my friend Matty has to drive from a village to the one next to my house!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I see.

Good lord NO! lol ;)
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I see.

I'm an IT contractor and i'll build you one for just £50*

*Estimate - true costs may be £2.7 Billion
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan48 wrote: »
    Good lord NO! lol ;)

I agree. One of the glories of British democracy is that we can peacefully throw out a government with nothing more than a few bits of paper and a pencil tied to a piece of string.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I see.

Sounds a bit over the top for a once-every-five-years event. Have you not heard of the National Debt? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I agree. One of the glories of British democracy is that we can peacefully throw out a government with nothing more than a few bits of paper and a pencil tied to a piece of string.

A pencil? We use pens to stop electoral fraud! :P
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I don't get how polling station locations work.

I have to walk passed a polling station (200yds away) to reach the one I'm meant to vote at (which is in another part of town).... and my friend Matty has to drive from a village to the one next to my house!

Yeesh...

I havent heard of anything so stupid...But the obvious answer, is that your "local" polling station, is in another council ward, so not available to you.

Have you ever asked your local council about this situation?.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all

If you've already got your polling card, and it tells you where your polling station is, can you ignore that and go to another one instead ?

Cheers :)

No you can't.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dan48 wrote: »
    A pencil? We use pens to stop electoral fraud! :P

Where are you?

I've been voting for many years and always get the fat pencil on the string. There's something quaintly British about those pencils.:D
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't presided at a polling station for about 20 years now, but I think it used to be possible if you lived in the same ward/constituency.
    I'm sure there was a regulation about it, but I'm getting on a bit now & those days at the polling station, particularly for local elections were mind numbing anyway:)
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Where are you?

I've been voting for many years and always get the fat pencil on the string. There's something quaintly British about those pencils.:D

I always get a short brown pencil with a broken nib! The string is the cheap stuff from the pound shop!
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »
    I haven't presided at a polling station for about 20 years now, but I think it used to be possible if you lived in the same ward/constituency.
    I'm sure there was a regulation about it, but I'm getting on a bit now & those days at the polling station, particularly for local elections were mind numbing anyway:)

I would say it was unlikely that you could vote in a different polling station. If you could, what's to stop you visiting 10 or 12 different ones and voting in every one?
  • pauli89pauli89 Posts: 12,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll just have to put up with the carpet and vote: just grin and bare it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each local council ward will usually have several polling stations each of which serves a polling district. The boundaries of polling districts and wards can sometimes be a bit odd because wards (though not PDs) have to be drawn with equal populations.

If polling stations are right on the edge of their district then it can result in people actually living closest to one that is not their own.

Equally, in areas which are made up of numerous villages it is quite common for a ward to consist of several individual villages plus a bit on the edge of the main town just to make up the numbers. Many places divide such wards up into several polling districts so that each village will have its own polling station - but some don't.

Bottom line, you cannot vote in a polling station other than the one you have been assigned to because you won't be on their register - UNLESS you have a postal vote and have missed the post and need to deliver it to a polling station on the day - then you can use any ballot box in your ward OR they will usually accept them delivered to the town hall.

If you only have a postal vote for the parliamentary election you MIGHT be allowed to deliver it elsewhere in the constituency but my postal vote (which arrived this morning) was for locals as well and I have to send the 3 ballot papers into the same place.
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I think about it, I'm pretty sure there was an envelope where votes like this were placed, rather than the ballot box. There were several envelopes, for things like unintentionally spoiled papers.
    I believe the returning officer or his staff, would then check that the voter had not voted elsewhere & the vote could then be counted.
    Please forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure. I think I recall it as one of the staff on one of the other boxes in my station voted there as he was unable to attend his own station.
    I will add this was probably close on 30 years ago & the law may well have changed since.