The Who

SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just back from seeing The Who @ Glasgow S.E.C.C. on their Quadrophenia tour, What a show, Roger and Pete are pushing 70 and can still Rock, anyone else going to see these LEGENDS on this tour? If you are- Enjoy, its amazing.

Comments

• mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prefered their early 'mod' material to the rock stuff.... :)
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to hear it. I'm going to see them next week.

I saw them in the 70's, and I've seen them on their last two tours. They've never let me down.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Quadrophenia in it's entirety.

No filler there!!!
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prefered their early 'mod' material to the rock stuff.... :)

It's all good in my opinion....
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Glad to hear it. I'm going to see them next week.

I saw them in the 70's, and I've seen them on their last two tours. They've never let me down.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Quadrophenia in it's entirety.

No filler there!!!

Yep, totally agree its a near perfect record. I'm going too next week, can't wait, although I wait to see of the drummer pulls things off - still Zack Starkey, does anyone know? - with baited breath.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Zack is still with them. I certainly hope so, because he has done a great job for them.
  • SamMcKSamMcK Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm seeing them at the O2 this Saturday! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Seeing them in Cardiff :)
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamMcK wrote: »
    I'm seeing them at the O2 this Saturday! :D

Me too, I can't wait!!

I though Zak had an injury and couldn't drum for them and they had to get another drummer in?
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    widger wrote: »
    Me too, I can't wait!!

I though Zak had an injury and couldn't drum for them and they had to get another drummer in?

Yes, thats correct. Scott Devours is the stand-in, excellent too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Seeing them in Birmingham on the 28th. Cannot wait. Saw them back in 2000, when John Entwhistle was still with us, and they were awesome, so have high hopes for this. Am on a big Who relisten on the way to and from work at the moment, Live at Leeds up next! :cool:
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any decent drummer can do a better job then Keith Moon. He was totally over rated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any decent drummer can do a better job then Keith Moon. He was totally over rated.

I think you've totally missed the point of Keith Moon... or perhaps I have. To me he was an entertainer, often the role of a drummer is deemed to be boring to many. Keith took advantage of that notion and put it to bed by even just sticking gun powder in his drum kit. As for drumming itself, he's certainly not Bonham level, but who is?

As I said, I never saw Keith Moon as a drummer there for technically gifted reasons, same with the other Who members. Though Entwistle was practically a god on bass.

Daltrey - Great frontman, powerful vocal and swinging Mic;)
    Townshend - Created some ridiculously good riffs and full of energy on guitar with the hilarious windmills.
    Entwistle - Arguably the greatest bass player of all time (in the mainstream world)
    Moon - Drummer, though unique as an entertainer... didn't get the tag Keith the 'loon' for nothing.

And it all clicked beautifully. One of my favourite bands for the sole reason that there was no passengers. Everyone brought something to the band. And widely regarded as the greatest live act of all time.

Each to their own though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

there was only 1 keith moon... he might not have been technically the best, but so what? the mischeif and energy he brought to the band was irreplaceable.
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Keith drumming akin to a Brazilian footballer who grew up just playing with a football barefooted on the beach. He knows bugger all about tactics and positions - but put at his feet and he will wow you with his natural talent and unpredictability.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much fail here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh dear, of dear.

Moon was the perfect drummer for The Who, and that is why he was so good. He wouldn't have been so good in The Beatles or Stones, but for The Who, perfection.

He did what they wanted, and when all four band members were on form, no one could touch them.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably my all time favourite band, but I can't face seeing them at the O2 or the Wembley Arena. They need to play a proper venue like the Shepherds Bush Empire or the Hammersmith Apollo where they're visible to the naked eye.

Both Roger and John had connections to my local area. A few years ago I was loading some rubbish into a lorry to go to the tip and the driver sprinted off because he'd spotted Roger Daltrey up the road and knew him well enough to go and have a chat!
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But all they would do is copy Keith Moon's parts....case closed
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved The Who throughout the '60s and early '70s. Who's Next and Live At Leeds are still amongst 2 of my favourite rock albums of all time, although I don't listen to much rock now. After that they never really progressed and I began to lose interest, although Who By Numbers was their last decent album that I liked, way better than the overblown Quadrophenia..
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Knock it off Paulie
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Keith drumming akin to a Brazilian footballer who grew up just playing with a football barefooted on the beach. He knows bugger all about tactics and positions - but put at his feet and he will wow you with his natural talent and unpredictability.

great analogy :)
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say there's one Who track that I even like a little bit. Very overated imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say there's one Who track that I even like a little bit. Very overated imo.

How many have you listened to?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

so, because you dont like them, they are very overrated?...

do you realise how that actually looks?
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member

Compared to who?