Will Paul McGann ever get to be the Doctor again?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
Forum Member
✭✭
I was watching the Doctor Who millennium movie and I suddenly thought 'He's quite good actually!' (Him not the movie :rolleyes:). It's unfair that he didn't get a series. Also the whole Time War thing was sort of explained in the End of Time, ok sure there's still lots they could do with that but hopefully you see my point. He should have a better shot at the Doctor. Basically why do you think he's been so over looked? :confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizx wrote: »
    why do you think he's been so over looked? :confused:

Nu Who, Fresh start. - The TV movie didn't get enough of an audience in America to warrant a series over there.

From a fans point of view I thought it would have been interesting to see a war damaged 8th Doctor play out the 9th Doctors arc, but when the programme returned it needed to not be tied down to the past.

When CE was cast it gave the return of the programme an instant credibility that the reputations of RTD and the other writers or a massive budget couldn't give it.

As much as I'd love to have seen more of the 8th Doctor it would have been wrong to have recast McGann, and the casting of CE was the making of the revival of Doctor Who!
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He hasn't been overlooked, he still plays the Doctor in the audio stories which frequently turn up on BBC7. As to why he wasn't asked back in 2005, I personally think he should have been, but RTD seems to have wanted his own choice of Doctor. I don't really see why this was done, as McGann is probably a more recognisable actor to many than Eccleston (I'd never heard of Eccleston before Doctor who, whereas McGann had been well known from serials like The Monocled Mutineer).
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He hasn't been overlooked, he still plays the Doctor in the audio stories which frequently turn up on BBC7. As to why he wasn't asked back in 2005, I personally think he should have been, but RTD seems to have wanted his own choice of Doctor.

He's very good on those as is Colin Baker. They have both been able to show how good a Doctor they would have been on TV if they had been given the chance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    He's very good on those as is Colin Baker. They have both been able to show how good a Doctor they would have been on TV if they had been given the chance
    I agree. The eighth Doctor audios in particular are terrific, but all of the past Doctors have really outshone their TV stories in them, I think. Colin's Doctor on audio is a much more likable character (and of course, you can't see the costume).
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He hasn't been overlooked, he still plays the Doctor in the audio stories which frequently turn up on BBC7. As to why he wasn't asked back in 2005, I personally think he should have been, but RTD seems to have wanted his own choice of Doctor. I don't really see why this was done, as McGann is probably a more recognisable actor to many than Eccleston (I'd never heard of Eccleston before Doctor who, whereas McGann had been well known from serials like The Monocled Mutineer).

I disagree, I think Eccleston was probably more well-known than McGann, thanks to prominent roles in high-profile movies such as Elizabeth (1998), The Others (2001) and 28 Days Later (2002). In addition, he always maintained a presence on mainstream television, such as his role as Jesus in 'The Second Coming'.

Having said that, McGann wasn't an unknown, and is a fine actor who would have done a great job. He could still get a cameo role in a future mult-doctor story - particularly in 2013. And if nothing else, the 'new who' stories of Human Nature and The Next Doctor have ensured that his doctor is definetly canon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    I disagree, I think Eccleston was probably more well-known than McGann, thanks to prominent roles in high-profile movies such as Elizabeth (1998), The Others (2001) and 28 Days Later (2002). In addition, he always maintained a presence on mainstream television, such as his role as Jesus in 'The Second Coming'.

Not forgetting 'Shallow Grave' or 'Our Friends in the North', amongst others...
  • swadeyswadey Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Paul McGann’s agent at the time was Janet Fielding (an ex-Dr Who assistant herself), we used to work with Janet in the 1990’s organising Who events and was quite revealing in her comments on the programme.

McGann would be delighted to return to Dr Who, however he has never been offered such a role since the “new who” returned.

From a “reality-based” perspective, McGann thoroughly enjoyed his role as Dr Who, and was very disappointed a series didn’t come to fruition. However he never ever realised the cult fandom he would receive from the fans. He did not like it one bit, distancing himself from fans & conventions, regarding the whole thing as “complete overkill and very bizarre”. At that point he distanced himself from Dr Who.

Reality kicked in, and, bluntly his work (and income) has been sparse for many years, hence he invested his time in Dr Who audios, and embraced the Dr Who “fandom”. As a result he now “enjoys” the role and the income it brings.

I'm certain he would appear, but it's extremely unlikely he'll be offered such.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, if they do a special multi-Doctors episode to celebrate the 50th anniversary there's a fair chance that Paul will be invited back to reprise the 8th Doc.
    I'd welcome it as I think he was pretty good in the tvm.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    He should do more "The Upper Hand" ;):p
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    He should do more "The Upper Hand" ;):p

And his brother Joe McGann should play the Doctor. ;)
    Forum Member
    Lol, you saw through my deception!

Honor Blackman as the companion?

[husky voice] "Oh doctor!" [/husky voice]
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    swadey wrote: »
    Reality kicked in, and, bluntly his work (and income) has been sparse for many years, hence he invested his time in Dr Who audios, and embraced the Dr Who “fandom”. As a result he now “enjoys” the role and the income it brings.

It was ever thus!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, you saw through my deception!

Honor Blackman as the companion?

[husky voice] "Oh doctor!" [/husky voice]
    That would be a bit confusing-she's been in the show before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    I think there is every chance of him popping up in some form. The Fifth Doctor has already appeared in the new series, albeit in a charity special - but still. I'm leaning towards a multi doctor story, with 8, 9 and 10 being the only doctors which would resemble how they were when they were in the lead role.

Try this : watch Rose or The End of the World, and imagine McGann rather than Ecclestone while watching it. See if you think it works...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SixtySeven wrote: »
    I think there is every chance of him popping up in some form. The Fifth Doctor has already appeared in the new series, albeit in a charity special - but still. I'm leaning towards a multi doctor story, with 8, 9 and 10 being the only doctors which would resemble how they were when they were in the lead role.

Try this : watch Rose or The End of the World, and imagine McGann rather than Ecclestone while watching it. See if you think it works...

It would've been interesting to see a darker 8th Doctor if they had decided to continue with the Time War stuff and stuck with McGann. I don't think for a minute RTD would've stuck with his Victorian outfit from the TVMovie , would probably have given 8 the leather jacket and a shaved head to show he was battle hardened. I think Russell misseds a bit of a trick , maybe back in Series One with the Episode "Dalek" , to show the 8-9 regeneration in flashback. Or even right at the climax of his tenure , when 10 was describing aspects of the Time War to the master. if you consider he brought back the Time Lords for an episode , only to cast them back into the time locked war , why not give us a ten second flashback of McGann falling to the floor doing whatever created that lock and Eccleston getting up in his costume.
    Forum Member
    That would be a bit confusing-she's been in the show before.

As confusing as when Jacqueline Hill turned up again? Or Freema Agyeman? Or Jean Marsh? Or Karen Gillan? Or THE Colin Baker? ;)
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would've been interesting to see a darker 8th Doctor if they had decided to continue with the Time War stuff and stuck with McGann. I don't think for a minute RTD would've stuck with his Victorian outfit from the TVMovie , would probably have given 8 the leather jacket and a shaved head to show he was battle hardened. I think Russell misseds a bit of a trick , maybe back in Series One with the Episode "Dalek" , to show the 8-9 regeneration in flashback. Or even right at the climax of his tenure , when 10 was describing aspects of the Time War to the master. if you consider he brought back the Time Lords for an episode , only to cast them back into the time locked war , why not give us a ten second flashback of McGann falling to the floor doing whatever created that lock and Eccleston getting up in his costume.

I think the regeneration from Eccleston to Tennant would have lost something if 'new who' viewers had already seen a regeneration scene in flashback... It was never going to happen in the first series.

The problem ever since then has been that getting Eccleston to appear for a few seconds seems impossible. He might come back for a proper meaty cameo, but for a ten second cameo?
  • NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    I think there's a chance, if they do a multi-Doctor 50th Anniversary show, if Eccleston is willing to come back.

If Eccleston won't come back, then I think they'd just do Tennant and Smith. Even if Eccleston does come back, they might omit McGann. He just doesn't have the background of TV adventures to build on, no companion(s) to show with him (radio and audio play companions don't count).

The point of a multi-Doctor story is to stir warm memories. There really aren't any in the general audience of the 8th Doctor. Even though it was seen by a lot of people, it will be 17-or-so years later.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    McGann's Doctor was referred to in a sketch in the journal of impossible dreams featured in the Family of Blood two-parter! So that may set a reference point for McGann to reappear in the series!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    McGann also appeared in "The Next Doctor" when the Doctor infostamp thing was shown.
  • NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    McGann's Doctor was referred to in a sketch in the journal of impossible dreams featured in the Family of Blood two-parter! So that may set a reference point for McGann to reappear in the series!

That's confirming he was a Doctor, that the show hasn't retconned him out of existance. A lot of people feel that if it weren't for Sylvester McCoy being seen regenerating, they might have dropped him from the continuity. I wouldn't take it as a sign that RTD was ever keen to bring him back, and it means nothing in reference to future plans by Moffat or a future showrunner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    I think the regeneration from Eccleston to Tennant would have lost something if 'new who' viewers had already seen a regeneration scene in flashback... It was never going to happen in the first series.

I agree with this, much as I'd rather like to see the regeneration (but if it did occur during the Time War, I'd rather not see much of the circumstances surrounding it- that's better left to the imagination I think) it would have detracted from the 9->10 regeneration scene if one had been seen before in series 1. It certainly could be shown in flashback later on if both actors would agree to it, but I imagine they'd both want slightly more to do than just stand still for a few seconds with their arms out.

I'd be happy to see 8 return in a multi-doctor special, preferably along with 9. Eccleston was superb as the Doctor and, much as a series with McGann after the movie would have been nice, I think Eccleston was definitely the right choice for the revived series in 2005.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the biggest chance of him returing is in 2013 for the 50th birthday celebrations. Although they must just bring back Eccleston (if willing) and Tennant and just have the 3 New Series Doctors. If he did return the only companion he could be seen with would be Grace, because the BBC Charter forbids the use of character or events from spin-off media being used in the TV Series. They could make a new on for him though. I hope he does return as he was was really good in the movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member

I'm glad you said that because that's what I thought might have worked.

Instead if CE grabbing Rose by the hand and saying "Run", I can picture a slightly more modern-looking Eight putting his hand on her shoulder instead.

That being said, I think series one really was excellent, and wouldn't rather it any other. I guess just like everyone else, I'm curious about the Eighth Doctor, because I did enjoy his performance in the tv movie and subsequently on audio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SixtySeven wrote: »
    I'm glad you said that because that's what I thought might have worked.

Instead if CE grabbing Rose by the hand and saying "Run", I can picture a slightly more modern-looking Eight putting his hand on her shoulder instead.

That being said, I think series one really was excellent, and wouldn't rather it any other. I guess just like everyone else, I'm curious about the Eighth Doctor, because I did enjoy his performance in the tv movie and subsequently on audio.

Most of series one will still grab me when I see any episode from it repeated nowadays. Chris was an excellent Doctor and just what was needed with all that angst and baggage from believing he's ended the Time War once and for all. I think the only way we may get to see the 8-9 regeneration now , is if some fans get the money and make the effort to get Chris and Paul involved in a short scene. Much like the folk who got Pertwee to film scenes for "Devious" back in the 1990's , which was an extra on The War Games DVD released last year.