How unyhgenic are cats?

Comments

• JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    husted wrote: »
    Cats are clean because their saliva contains a natural detergent.

People with cats have lower stress levels, lower blood pressure, less depression and fewer heart attacks. They have longer life expectancy.

Have you got a link to back this up? I'm not disputing it, I'm just curious.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are clean until they get too old to clean
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    rick182 wrote: »
    They are clean until they get to old to clean

true, especially those poor long haired ones
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    Have you got a link to back this up? I'm not disputing it, I'm just curious.

For example:
    Pet-therapy intervention group, consisting of 3/week sessions of almost one-hour visit for 6 weeks with a little cat,

<snip>
    Results showed that patients with animal interaction had improved depressive symptoms and a significant decrease in blood pressure values.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15207440
    http://www.webmd.com/depression/features/pets-depression

I had a better link on how they help human health, I'll post it if I find it.

Fascinating Feline Facts: Cat Saliva:
    Surprisingly, cat saliva actually contains a natural detergent-like substance that helps keep the fur clean. Try sniffing your cat’s fur when it is still damp from grooming, and you should notice a faint, pleasant and slightly soapy scent. Keep in mind that, like human saliva, cat saliva also contains lots of bacteria, too.
    http://www.petmeds.org/petmeds-spotlight/fascinating-feline-facts-cat-saliva
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    My cats all smell lovely, they're constantly grooming themselves. One of them has got really fishy breath though, I get a whiff when he meows right next to my face. Cats are actually really clean animals, they hate having mucky paws and they won't do their business in a dirty litter tray.
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    according to the Mail one bite could put you on the critical list:eek:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2144366/Moggie-lovers-beware-One-bite-cat-critical-list.html
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cats all smell lovely, they're constantly grooming themselves. One of them has got really fishy breath though, I get a whiff when he meows right next to my face. Cats are actually really clean animals, they hate having mucky paws and they won't do their business in a dirty litter tray.

Get the vet to check his teeth.

Mine got a bit whiffy and she looked off colour, she needed a lot of teeth out.

She's as beautiful and scented as ever now.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    iangrad wrote: »
    Cats generally look after themselves very well without any human intervention , they are a naturally clean animal -- if they have a failing it is that outdoor cats need treatment for worms -- just a couple of drops of anti worm on the rear of the neck every so often .
    If a cat isn't grooming then it's actually a sign that something serious is up. The two main signs a cat is ill is not eating and not grooming.
    CherryRose wrote: »
    I love cats, at least they burry their own shite :)
    I've got two housecats and Blaze will do her business in the litter box, and then spend about 5 minutes pawing the top of the side of the litter tray in a myriad of ways. Her sister Sphynx will then want to use the litter tray, and will then bury Blaze's before she does her own. I've actually seen Sphynx just wander to the litter tray after Blaze has used it, purely to cover it up properly. For some weird reason they'll both sit in the bathroom watching you if you use the loo, and then as soon as you stand up from the toilet they'll stick their heads over the side of the loo to see what's in there. They've even been either side of my wife when she was throwing up one morning. She was praying to the porcelain god and calling for Ralph and Huey, and the cats were flanking her either side watching her throwing up. Occasionally they'd look at her as if to say "Wow!".

I don't know anyone who actually thinks or believes cats are dirty animals. As long as the cat is properly looked after and everything, then there's nothing to worry about. I used to have pet rats as well and contrary to popular opinion they're actually pretty clean. My wife had a rat which used to be allowed to roam free when she was in. Apart from being the size of a cat (it was HUGE) she never once made a mess anywhere. She'd scamper off to her cage, use the rodent loo, and then go back to whatever she was doing before.

My wife also said the fact I'd previously successfully owned cats was part of the reason she got with me. With a cat you have to work to earn it's affection, whereas most dogs will give you unconditional devotion because of how packs work in the wild. If you don't look after a cat they'll move out and the next thing you know, next door but one have a new cat that looks identical to the one you had. If a man can successfully own a cat that actually likes it's owner then you can keep a woman happy. That was her reckoning anyway.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware that B.O. and halitosis were contagious. :confused:
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that B.O. and halitosis were contagious. :confused:

You have not smelled our storesman close up then. I can still smell him when I have left the building so some part of him must be seperating/sloughing and embedding in my nose area.
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    My cat smells gorgeous. I stick my face in her fur and inhale. She smells like fresh washing and newly baked cakes.
    I do believe you can join a forum called the 'cat sniffers' or something (I wouldn't know of course lol)
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    Its also a fact that cats will steal the breath of sleeping children (especially babies). They are associated with evil for a reason.

I think a lot of people must have you on ignore since no one has bitten at your comment.

Does blind ethel at the travelling cat sanctuary think cats steal children breath as well, bless her.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    My cat smells gorgeous. I stick my face in her fur and inhale. She smells like fresh washing and newly baked cakes.
    I do believe you can join a forum called the 'cat sniffers' or something (I wouldn't know of course lol)
    There's a name for this act - it's called kitten huffing.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes think my cats are cleaner than some people
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I sometimes think my cats are cleaner than some people

certainly cleaner than chavs, alkies and druggies.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    My boy cat smells like every bit of an average moggie, but my lady cat smells like talcum powder. I don't have talc in the house so don't know where she gets it from.

Both have salmon breath though, even though their diet is 99% chicken.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Get the vet to check his teeth.

Mine got a bit whiffy and she looked off colour, she needed a lot of teeth out.

She's as beautiful and scented as ever now.
    I've actually got to take him to the vet tomorrow because one of his pupils is very dilated so I think I'll ask the vet to have a look at his teeth at the same time. Thanks :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Cats used to/still have a bad name because of toxoplasmosis - but the fears are utterly unfounded (you're actually much more likely to catch toxoplasma gondii from uncooked meat or other sources)

http://www.cats.org.uk/toxo

Of course it may be completely unrelated to this.. some people hate all animals and think they are all 'dirty', 'unhygienic' etc. when they clearly aren't.. but that's people for you!

Do you know how it gets into those meats though? (i know exactly how it gets into the meats, but just wondering if you know too)

If one wants to know the proper truths about toxoplasmosis its best not to read from that organisation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I asked a colleague if they had any pets and she said 'no - do you have any?' so I said two cats. She says 'I would never have cats in the house - they have fleas and they are dirty and bring in germs'. I left the concersation there wisely but I have heard this before from people that cats are unhygenic. What strikes me is that with all the 'dirt and germs' I never catch anything from them, however with people I have had in the last year:

So, which are generally less dirt and germ ridden - cats or people?

Well licking it's bum and then licking all over it's body and then walking on countertops and lounging on the owners bed and pillows after being god knows where outside lol is not something id call clean, but really they are no more cleaner than any other animal. They all lick themselves to clean
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Meh...Life's too short. I've had cats and dogs all my life, never caught anything icky from them. Take sensible precautions in flea/worm preventatives, mop floors, clean surfaces, wash bedding and don't sweat the small stuff.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    In an alternate universe ruled by cats, they are probably having this very same discussion about humans, on the cat version of DS
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    My boy cat smells like every bit of an average moggie, but my lady cat smells like talcum powder. I don't have talc in the house so don't know where she gets it from.

Both have salmon breath though, even though their diet is 99% chicken.

Wouldent it be lovely if every animal smelt of fragrant talcum powder, lol
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cat looked quite unwell

And Christ, he did smell

He had a bad cough

Then his legs fell off

I pronounced him dead

Now I wear him, on my head.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fiona72 wrote: »
    We're i live there are a lot of outdoor cats. My garden is full of cat s**t!! I can't let my kids out to play in the garden at the moment, as its covered. I know it's cats as my back garden is gated with a high fence. What can I do too stop it? Any ideas

Garlic granules (dried sort) are good. But shift the poop first:D
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Cat looked quite unwell

And Christ, he did smell

He had a bad cough

Then his legs fell off

I pronounced him dead

Now I wear him, on my head.

You're good :D

All the local cats convene on my back garden for some reason. Last summer I counted 7 sunning themselves at various spots.

Unfortunately they also seem to use it as a toilet too.