Ragdoll Cats

Comments

• Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »
    what a load of crap, most ragdolls i know would kick a standard moggies ass i know mine would she is an evil bitch and far too intelligent to fall in a pond.

Sounds like you just have a thick cat

Its a clumsy cat it might be because it is still a kitten. I have just let it out again today and its spend all its time chewing plants and twigs so I hope its not sick.

Thank you for everyones input on ragdolls ... he does look like he has some ragdoll in him .... he is white all over except for grey on his head tail and back and he has long fur. I will just have to keep an eye on him and make sure doesn't leave the garden until he is much bigger.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Can we have a picture yet OP? We always like pictures of cats!

Here's my raggy:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh48/sadmuppet_photos/DSCF0168.jpg
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pandoras cat doesn't exist, when will people realise that.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    husted wrote: »
    It's not propaganda. Ragdolls do go limp. Just not all of them behave like this. Don't you know why they were named Ragdolls? :D

And "americanism of the ragdoll" . LOL. Absolute tosh. The breed is American. Every bloodline. Irrelevant where they are born.

Just because your cat and it relatives has certain traits doesn't mean the breed has changed!

The Ragdoll breed is docile, sociable and non-aggressive.

yes i know all this but breed type does not mean that every cat displays these behaviours so you believe that ragdolls should not go out and are uncapable of defending themselves because their breed standard says they are docile sociable and non agressive - they are still cats and act as cats do.

They are less likely to be outrightly agressive to people and are easier to handle than the standard moggy but that does not mean they wont batter other cats or dogs or get their claws out and have a go like any standard cat and the english breeding lines have been changing things they are not as docile and go limp like as the original american breedings sometimes the lines of cats have to be bred out otherwise there would be constant health issues within the breed from line breeding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragdoll

see under temperament re what i orginally stated about breeders in britain trying to breed out some of the docile limpness traits as it is essentially better for the cat i am sure if you did a lot of research you would find more proof on the subject
    Forum Member
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    Its a clumsy cat it might be because it is still a kitten. I have just let it out again today and its spend all its time chewing plants and twigs so I hope its not sick.

Thank you for everyones input on ragdolls ... he does look like he has some ragdoll in him .... he is white all over except for grey on his head tail and back and he has long fur. I will just have to keep an eye on him and make sure doesn't leave the garden until he is much bigger.

doest mean it is a ragdoll could be a birman imo they are the thicker of the two breedsnot that i believe your cat exists:D
    Forum Member
    dollymarie wrote: »
    Pandoras cat doesn't exist, when will people realise that.

I doubt it as well, but I was trying to elicit more excuses.... ;)

And I like showing my beautiful raggy off!!!
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »

Here's my raggy:

oh bless a seal point like my girl
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    yes i know all this but breed type does not mean that every cat displays these behaviours so you believe that ragdolls should not go out and are uncapable of defending themselves because their breed standard says they are docile sociable and non agressive - they are still cats and act as cats do.

They are less likely to be outrightly agressive to people and are easier to handle than the standard moggy but that does not mean they wont batter other cats or dogs or get their claws out and have a go like any standard cat and the english breeding lines have been changing things they are not as docile and go limp like as the original american breedings sometimes the lines of cats have to be bred out otherwise there would be constant health issues within the breed from line breeding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragdoll

see under temperament re what i orginally stated about breeders in britain trying to breed out some of the docile limpness traits as it is essentially better for the cat i am sure if you did a lot of research you would find more proof on the subject

I think I've said that not every Ragdoll cat has typical Raggie behaviour about 5 times now!

You dont seem to have read the wiki page you quoted:
    Developed by American breeder Ann Baker, it is best known for its docile and placid temperament and affectionate nature.

So even the source you quote agrees that Ragdoll breed is docile.

I dont care what some minority of breeders are trying. The current situation is what I'm talking about and Ragdolls are expected to be gentle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here's my raggy:

Mine looks nothing like yours because he has greenie yellow eyes so perhaps he is not a full breed. He is very affectionate and when you pick him up he relaxes in your arms and loves being held.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you post a picture of your actual cat, so we can all judge.

After all you did promise to today.

Tick tock, tick tock
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't hold your breath.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't hold your breath.

I know :D
    Forum Member
    Pandora 9 wrote: »

so nothing like a ragdoll then
    Forum Member
    I think I've said that not every Ragdoll cat has typical Raggie behaviour about 5 times now!

You dont seem to have read the wiki page you quoted:

So even the source you quote agrees that Ragdoll breed is docile.

I dont care what some minority of breeders are trying. The current situation is what I'm talking about and Ragdolls are expected to be gentle.

never said they werent expected to be gentle what i am saying is they are no different to other cats in the fact that they are more than capable of looking after themselves

they were made less docile than the original american version so less floppy and with more of the ability to defend themselves just like at present they are screening out the HCM in the breed you can disagree all you like but the fact of the matter is a cat can be an agressive raving physco and still a ragdoll if it has two ragdoll parents or 5 generations of ragdolls in its breeding it is still a ragdoll whether it is docile or not

I have never stated they are not docile or anything in the breed standard but i get fed up with people feeling sorry for these poor pedigree cats that arent allowed out and cant defend themselves when it is blatantly not true if given a chance to be an actual cat they will hunt birds kill mice attack dogs and all the things regular moggies do
    Forum Member
    027.jpg

my girl - seal point

014-1.jpg

her mum - tabby

018-2.jpg

her nan and great gran - both blues
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    027.jpg

my girl - seal point

014-1.jpg

her mum - tabby

018-2.jpg

Beautiful cats.
    Forum Member
    Beautiful cats.

got even more beautiful onesthe boys are more attractive for some reason (mind you i am in love with the reds atm) but being family cats not my place to put them up and they are still shown whereas these are all retired :D
    Forum Member
    027.jpg

my girl - seal point

014-1.jpg

her mum - tabby

018-2.jpg

Raggies certainly are beautiful!!!

Do you have a problem with matting? My girl regularly has to be shaved as she gets great big matts in the soft undercoat! I brush her every day but it makes no difference - in fact, sometimes it makes it worse as she gets lots of static In her fur, which makes it ball even tighter!

The vet said she has an exceptionally dense coat - the densest he's ever seen in a cat... :(
    Forum Member
    Raggies certainly are beautiful!!!

Do you have a problem with matting? My girl regularly has to be shaved as she gets great big matts in the soft undercoat! I brush her every day but it makes no difference - in fact, sometimes it makes it worse as she gets lots of static In her fur, which makes it ball even tighter!

The vet said she has an exceptionally dense coat - the densest he's ever seen in a cat... :(

my cat is actually the worst arouns her bib area she licks herself and gives herself matts on what seems like a daily basis despite brushing luckily they come out easily enough the others all get brushed rather a lot especially the show ones as shaving is not an option:D they are used to it and just put up with it but it takes a good two hours to do the lot
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    never said they werent expected to be gentle what i am saying is they are no different to other cats in the fact that they are more than capable of looking after themselves

they were made less docile than the original american version so less floppy and with more of the ability to defend themselves just like at present they are screening out the HCM in the breed you can disagree all you like but the fact of the matter is a cat can be an agressive raving physco and still a ragdoll if it has two ragdoll parents or 5 generations of ragdolls in its breeding it is still a ragdoll whether it is docile or not

I have never stated they are not docile or anything in the breed standard but i get fed up with people feeling sorry for these poor pedigree cats that arent allowed out and cant defend themselves when it is blatantly not true if given a chance to be an actual cat they will hunt birds kill mice attack dogs and all the things regular moggies do

What do you think gentle and docile means? You agree they are docile but still think they are just as able defend themselves just as well? Nope. Typically they dont. Mine would whine at a big dog.

So that's the problem. They don't defend themselves. And that's why breeders are experimenting.Limpness itself is no problem.

I don't know any reputable breeder who would give a Ragdoll kitten to someone wanting an outdoor cat.

You don't like it when people have a go at Ragdoll owners for keeping their cats indoors against their will. I can understand that and I have some sympathy for the view that they are too soppy for their own good.

But in the right environment they thrive. They are great companions because they are keen to please. Ideal for pet therapy. They love people and big floppy Ragdolls are great for a cuddle. A real shame if that was lost.

Anyway, this is my big dope. Just before I kick him off the bed:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/bertieonhisback2.jpg

Eyes open here:
    http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/vlcsnap-2012-04-01-16h57m45s98.png

My girl is certainly not shy:
    http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/SAM_1530.jpg

Until she was 10 months old she used to suckle my male cat. Lots of lickness and wetness on his chest. He didn't like it and often moved away but never kicked her away. No aggression.

Usual result was they fell asleep together:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/SAM_1426.jpg
    Forum Member
    my cat is actually the worst arouns her bib area she licks herself and gives herself matts on what seems like a daily basis despite brushing luckily they come out easily enough the others all get brushed rather a lot especially the show ones as shaving is not an option:D they are used to it and just put up with it but it takes a good two hours to do the lot

Thanks TWS!

Mine is obsessed with her bib! If you brush it, she gets worse! She is quite variable in how well she puts up with dematting - some days she'll lie there for ages, whilst others she'll have claws in you before you've even started!

I've found sticks, leaves and even slugs inside her matts and once they're in there, there's no brushing them out - they have to be cut!

I could knit a jumper with what I've taken off her this year as it's been too cold to shave her so far (we generally have her lion cut) but she's come in today with table tennis sized balls behind her ears of all places! Luckily enough, the chopped bits don't show too much and as she's not a show cat, it doesn't really matter...

I have an acquaintance who shows raggies and maine coons (I had one of those as well as she NEVER got matted due to the quality of her fur) and he said to brush using baby powder as it reduces static. However, I'm concerned about her ingesting any residue as she is ALWAYS washing.

Have you got any tips?

I've also got a long haired half Persian and she has never had ANY matting , which is just as well as she would tear me to bits if I tried to brush her!!! :D
    Forum Member
    Thanks TWS!

Mine is obsessed with her bib! If you brush it, she gets worse! She is quite variable in how well she puts up with dematting - some days she'll lie there for ages, whilst others she'll have claws in you before you've even started!

I've found sticks, leaves and even slugs inside her matts and once they're in there, there's no brushing them out - they have to be cut!

I could knit a jumper with what I've taken off her this year as it's been too cold to shave her so far (we generally have her lion cut) but she's come in today with table tennis sized balls behind her ears of all places! Luckily enough, the chopped bits don't show too much and as she's not a show cat, it doesn't really matter...

I have an acquaintance who shows raggies and maine coons (I had one of those as well as she NEVER got matted due to the quality of her fur) and he said to brush using baby powder as it reduces static. However, I'm concerned about her ingesting any residue as she is ALWAYS washing.

Have you got any tips?

I've also got a long haired half Persian and she has never had ANY matting , which is just as well as she would tear me to bits if I tried to brush her!!! :D

we use baby powder too no problems that i have ever heard of with ingestion (but you never know!!) found half a tree in my cat yesterday had to hold her by her scruff until me arm almost fell off trying to sort her out and as said she is a bit of an evil minx lol.

Maine coons i love i keep looking at them when i go to shows and keep thinking i want one but probably wont happen and will end up with another raggie thinking a cream boy
    Forum Member
    What do you think gentle and docile means? You agree they are docile but still think they are just as able defend themselves just as well? Nope. Typically they dont. Mine would whine at a big dog.

So that's the problem. They don't defend themselves. And that's why breeders are experimenting.Limpness itself is no problem.

I don't know any reputable breeder who would give a Ragdoll kitten to someone wanting an outdoor cat.

You don't like it when people have a go at Ragdoll owners for keeping their cats indoors against their will. I can understand that and I have some sympathy for the view that they are too soppy for their own good.

But in the right environment they thrive. They are great companions because they are keen to please. Ideal for pet therapy. They love people and big floppy Ragdolls are great for a cuddle. A real shame if that was lost.

Anyway, this is my big dope. Just before I kick him off the bed:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/bertieonhisback2.jpg

Eyes open here:
    http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/vlcsnap-2012-04-01-16h57m45s98.png

My girl is certainly not shy:
    http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/SAM_1530.jpg

Until she was 10 months old she used to suckle my male cat. Lots of lickness and wetness on his chest. He didn't like it and often moved away but never kicked her away. No aggression.

Usual result was they fell asleep together:

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b518/BertieSnowball/SAM_1426.jpg

yes yours may whine at a big dog but mine stops a big dog from entering a room and beats the shit out of it it all depends what they are raised with and exposed to yes they have the core breed traits but that does not mean they cant learn to be different

My cat is the antichrist of ragdolls i full admit that she is not a people person will let you stroke her occasionally does not like to be picked up and cuddle is a dirty word yet she will still always be in the same room as you in general ( itell her every day she is not a proper ragdoll and should not have her claws out but she insists)

Yes most breeders want them to be indoor cats and i personally want all cats indoors as i hate to see them squished by the said of the road or injured but i have seen them thrive outdoors mine would be outdoors 24 / 7 if you let her that why i fenced off the garden in the end so she could be outside all night and i dont have to worry

I have found though that the boys are more ragdoll esque and the girls are a bit more feisty think that is the same in most species boys easy to handle content to sleep and do as they are told
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    But that's the problem. They don't defend themselves. And that's why breeders are experimenting.

My colleague has a ragdoll who goes outside, I assure you he is a full pedigree and has survived 7 years of being allowed outside. Several posters on this thread have ragdoll cats who at least go into their own gardens. The cattery owner who looks after my cats has about 7 ragdoll cats of her own (it may be more :eek:) but they're always outside in the garden when I go there to board my cats. Surely they can't all be exceptions to the rule?

As for 'docile', many ordinary moggies can be described as docile and non aggressive, including my own, past and present. Outside, most neighbourhood cats form their own social hierarchy and docile, non aggressive cats just mind their own business and keep away from any trouble. None of my cats have ever got into any fights outdoors and, if they did, I am sure they would act submissive or try to escape rather than fight back.

Cats are cats when all is said and done. As I said earlier, my parents' persian is an outdoor mouse catcher. Cats adapt to their environments and owners' lifestyles. Nurture takes over from nature but I know owners of pedigree cats are very anxious to safeguard their cats wellbeing. Those who choose to keep their cats indoors have every right to do so but shouldn't be dictating their opinions on people who choose to allow their cats even some restricted outdoor access.

All the ragdoll photos are lovely. They are a very beautiful breed but their fur does look like hard work.