Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• fudbeerfudbeer Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redunited wrote: »
    Tonight 3 hours of non stop rubbish talk: horse racing get a life, talksport promoting gambling, there must be rules against this ???

Can't believe many who listen to talk aport parcticularly at that time are interested in horse racing always feel is more for the benefit of the presenters.:yawn::yawn::yawn:
  • Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight 3 hours of non stop rubbish talk: horse racing get a life, talksport promoting gambling, there must be rules against this ???

The whole station is practically a bookies shill these days, with nearly every show sponsored by or having a guest spot from one of the big chains.
    I'm convinced that's what's keeping TS going, as there is practically no other radio outlet in the country with as much scope for gambling advertising. If the government instituted some sort of curbs on gambling advertising & sponsorship, (which they most certainly won't) then I'd give you even money Talksport would go bust within a year.
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flashy Vic wrote: »
    The whole station is practically a bookies shill these days, with nearly every show sponsored by or having a guest spot from one of the big chains.
    I'm convinced that's what's keeping TS going, as there is practically no other radio outlet in the country with as much scope for gambling advertising. If the government instituted some sort of curbs on gambling advertising & sponsorship, (which they most certainly won't) then I'd give you even money Talksport would go bust within a year.

They set out right from the start for an all male football leaning, love a bet audience summarily dumping hundreds of thousands of loyal female listeners in the process and boy have they got that demographic now Victor. If you don't drive a white van for a living, if you don't love a bet and if you don't support Arsenal or Chelsea or Spurs or either of the Manchester clubs then in talkSPORT'S eyes you bloody well should. If ever a company needed some competition to make them improve and stop being grossly complacent then we're looking at it, talk about sitting on your @ss and settling for what you've got, this company takes the gold medal, it's become repetitive car crash radio.
    I will never waver in my view that one day this nightmare will finally end and we'll get a brand new better station to entertain us.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the boy blunder "Ronnie 'Chicken Biryani' Irani" is on holiday nxt week.

Hes going to China for six days, lets just hope hes on the right kind of boot coming home !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    If you are unaware of the insanity of Andy Jacobs, I encourage you to listen to yesterday's show at 07:50 minutes from the beginning for a few minutes.

http://utv.vo.llnwd.net/o16/talkSPORT/20130307_1300_LA.mp3

He believes those who make death threats to referees and others should be ignored and "not taken seriously".

Leave alone the idea that those who make the threats should be criticised rather than those to whom the threats are made.

Leave alone the idea that the subject of the threats should need some crystal ball that tells them which should be taken seriously and which not.

To me it's clear that this idiot would be the very first to go the police if any moron were to be evil enough to make death threats against him! Death threats are illegal and to be excoriated in any situation.

He has now reached a nadir in my opinion.

(at least Hawksbee attempted to show him the stupidity of his opinion)
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the boy blunder "Ronnie 'Chicken Biryani' Irani" is on holiday nxt week.

Hes going to China for six days, lets just hope hes on the right kind of boot coming home !!

Jimmy Bullard is sitting in for him on Monday.
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flashy Vic wrote: »

Must say that I have also been amazed at the number of bookie adverts/plugs there are on TS programmes. Thought OFCOM might have rules against that sort of thing. Is there a single gambling company they on't plug?
  • airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't listened to TS in a long time but if Coldstain is still there I've clearly not been missing very much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airfix wrote: »
    Haven't listened to TS in a long time but if Coldstain is still there I've clearly not been missing very much.

The station's become like a LIVE minefield you have to tread very carefully through the schedule not stepping on bombs like Goldstein, Quinn, Irani and Forde and you get through it. After being an avid listener since the very start it's become so bad I only listen to Keys & Gray in any length these days and bits and pieces of the lousy breakfast show, this show is so bad I just have to listen for the comedy effect it has on me.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    Just listened to that YouTube link posted above. Irani really is a loathsome character isn't he? Wjat a fraud. Kind of hilarious when you listen to it. It's a wonder how he keeps the bullsh*t going. You'd think he'd get tired of keeping the fraud act going by now, wouldn't you?

I echo Billy's sentiments above. I listen to Richard and Andy quite a bit, but that's about it.

I don't mind Drive, though. I know the consensus of this thread is that it's pants, but I don't mind it.
  • shylockshylock Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    It must be difficult being Irani though, to be so autely aware that just about everyone he meets in life is far more intelligent and socially aware than he is. No wonder he comes across as insecure and threatened. I mean he's on the dumbest station he could possibly be on and yet he's still out of his depth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shylock wrote: »
    It must be difficult being Irani though, to be so autely aware that just about everyone he meets in life is far more intelligent and socially aware than he is. No wonder he comes across as insecure and threatened. I mean he's on the dumbest station he could possibly be on and yet he's still out of his depth.

Great point, imagine him working at BBC Radio 5 or somewhere like that trying to do serious political and news broadcasting can you imagine the bu11$hit from him then, as it is a monkey could probably play the co-presenter part he plays but he still sticks out like the dumbest person in the world. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Just listened to that YouTube link posted above. Irani really is a loathsome character isn't he? Wjat a fraud. Kind of hilarious when you listen to it. It's a wonder how he keeps the bullsh*t going. You'd think he'd get tired of keeping the fraud act going by now, wouldn't you?

I echo Billy's sentiments above. I listen to Richard and Andy quite a bit, but that's about it.

I don't mind Drive, though. I know the consensus of this thread is that it's pants, but I don't mind it.

Glad you enjoyed listening to the clip Mogz, that's it for that one, any further clips will probably go to make up a brand new one with the very latest stuff. :D
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed listening to the clip Mogz, that's it for that one, any further clips will probably go to make up a brand new one with the very latest stuff. :D
    I must've enjoyed it because the 29 minutes flew by. The bits about Metallica, "Your first loss is your best loss", and the bit at the beginning about EU debt (unlike Irani, I won't pretend to understand it) were particular highlights. Certainly gave me a few chuckles anyway.

Also, the bit with Saggers and Rupert Bell...it seems that Mark really dislikes Ronnie. Can't blame him mind.

I don't listen to the show on a daily basis, but I'd imagine he makes a tool of himself every single day, and that clips reel could easily be hours long!! :D
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drive is so obvious today. With Spurs winning comfortably last night and in general doing well in the league, with a manager he doesn't like, Durham is stuck. So, with no real criticisms or digs to aim at the club, fans or manager, he makes things up, or twists things. Today, "No-one really cares about the Europa League". On Monday it was "well, Redknapp beat Arsenal" and "They are only up there because Chelsea are so poor" (Didn't hear that last season did we?). "One-man team", "Why aren't Spurs top of the league?", "AVB gets results but not really because he's not that good".
    So predictable, and so boring. Had to switch off, it's such a waste. Have a proper debate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Joe19 wrote: »
    Drive is so obvious today. With Spurs winning comfortably last night and in general doing well in the league, with a manager he doesn't like, Durham is stuck. So, with no real criticisms or digs to aim at the club, fans or manager, he makes things up, or twists things. Today, "No-one really cares about the Europa League". On Monday it was "well, Redknapp beat Arsenal" and "They are only up there because Chelsea are so poor" (Didn't hear that last season did we?). "One-man team", "Why aren't Spurs top of the league?", "AVB gets results but not really because he's not that good".
    So predictable, and so boring. Had to switch off, it's such a waste. Have a proper debate.

I was only thinking this morning (on the back of last night's result) that he and Redknapp's other fans at Talk'Arry could have an issue come the end of the season.

Spurs seem to be going well in the league and could finish second (?). They may win the Europa League. And AVB beat ManUtd - something 'Arry never did, I think.

Perhaps AVB will be awarded Manager of the Year. What will they say then? :eek:
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,839
    Forum Member

Is AP McCoy next on "My sporting life" which is still good but usually seems to have somebody one week then their mate the next in recent versions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great point, imagine him working at BBC Radio 5 or somewhere

Two words, Robbie & Savage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeremy999 wrote: »
    I was only thinking this morning (on the back of last night's result) that he and Redknapp's other fans at Talk'Arry could have an issue come the end of the season.

Spurs seem to be going well in the league and could finish second (?). They may win the Europa League. And AVB beat ManUtd - something 'Arry never did, I think.

Perhaps AVB will be awarded Manager of the Year. What will they say then? :eek:
    " 'E 'ad our 'Arry's side."
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Joe19 wrote: »
    It takes a good team to get to the later stages of any European competition while sustaining a decent position in the league, IMO AVB has taken Spurs to the next level, good for him.

The other week Andy Jacobs was calling the Europa League a pointless competition yet he was around when Chelsea did not have a pot to piss in and their attendances dropped to 10k......he'd have given his right arm back then to see Chelsea in a European competition.

Football can do without fans like Andy 'fuc-ing' Jacobs.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fudbeer wrote: »
    Bring back Wrighty ffs!

Three years ago, upon his departure from the station I'd have told you to - to use a Wright-ism - "calm your skin down".

But after four years of Darren Gough on Drive Time I have to admit that even Wright would be a better option as Durham's co-host.

Other than his all-important "name value," to my mind Gough offers nothing to the station. Nada. No insight, no likeability, the kind of humour a schoolboy would be embarrassed by and the sort of ill-thought out arguments that make Micky Quinn's pro-Liverpool rants sound like Alvin Martin discussing the youth football system.

I just don't think he brings anything to the table that a former sportsman with a similar profile but with more intelligence couldn't offer. Surely there are other ex-pros with "name value" (off the top of my head, how about Brian Moore, John Parrott or John Hartson?) similar to Gough that would expect a similar wage to the one he gets and would be willing to take on this commitment?

Even Wright, on the occasions I catch the beginning of his phone-in on Absolute Radio on Saturday afternoons these days, has shown he has the capability of being able to partake in a decent sporting discussion - his round-table style chats about the afternoon's football with Russ Williams and Jim Proudfoot at the start of his phone-in (because of them rather than him largely) are very listenable. I can't honestly recall listening to Gough when either it wasn't just a big joke (fair enough, there is room for humour on every show) or he wasn't making my toes curl with a supposedly serious discussion.

I'm sorry if this sounds really unkind to Gough, I enjoyed watching him as a player, I'm sure he's a nice bloke and I would never want to see anyone out of gainful employment. But I look at the bigger picture and I want to be enjoy listening to talkSPORT and not be embarrassed to say I listen to the station and to have a show like Drive Time thrown at me as an example of how bad it is. For all the Matchday Lives, Full Contacts and My Sporting Lifes that talkSPORT broadcasts, even I cannot defend this show.

As Joe and others mention, Adrian Durham isn't completely innocent in this. Yesterday it was Celtic & SPL bashing (he prefers Rangers don't you know?) and a bit of Palace bashing, today apparently it's Europa League bashing seeing as Chelsea lost (despite playing a full-strength team) and another Andre Villas-Boas team is doing well in the competition. Next week it will be Wenger & Arsenal bashing presuming Bayern Munich finish the job, regardless of whether Bayern hammer them 5-0 or even if Arsenal win on the night but go out on aggregate. You just know it will happen. The arguments and agendas at play are so transparent and obvious, yet people still call in and people still listen (yes, clearly I did for about 20 minutes last night to know the above, but that was only to hear updates from the Chelsea Europa League game. This is not a regular choice of listening for me, as much as I would like to be able to listen to and enjoy talkSPORT at drive time).

As I often say on here, as a long-time listener to talkSPORT I know Adrian is well capable of producing some of the best radio that the station has ever broadcast, Football First in Europe and Football First, Second and Third were excellent programmes and to this day he demonstrates his fantastic Football League knowledge and slick handling of the Around the Grounds format on Matchday Live, one of the station's best shows.

But would I miss him if he left talkSPORT now? After hearing Ian Danter doing just as good a job as Adrian on Matchday Live over the first seven weeks of 2013 while Adrian was recovering from a throat illness, I know the station has a ready-made replacement for him on MDL should BT Sport come calling in the summer to hire Adrian as a European football host (you may laugh, but this is exactly what Setanta Sports did in 2006/07. Not saying it will happen again but I just wanted to make the point). To be honest, if Adrian moved on to pastures new that allow him to get back to being the quality broadcaster he was five days a week during the first half of the 2000s, it would be good for all concerned. But I worry if Adrian has become typecast now. After all, if people still go on about Ray Houghton criticising people who've "never played them game" (something I doubt he's said on air for 6 or 7 years now, it was only a product of the Thursday night show he did with Adrian), what hope does Adrian have?

I will say this in favour of talkSPORT and against the consensus on here. We all moan to a greater or lesser extent about the station being dominated by Premier League football, and then when they decide to do something that is a bit different like last night's Cheltenham Festival Preview - on a programme which is usually focuses on football (albeit as I've stated on here many times before, the Thursday night Kick Off with Danny Kelly does cover a wider range of teams in a more intellegent style than the norm) and on a rare Thursday night when 5 Live was covering football rather than other sports as it usually would on that weeknight - people are criticising them for focusing on this particular sport due to its links to betting. Full disclosure, I watched the football last night so didn't listen, but from the trails and reads ahead to the show it didn't sound as if it was heavily sponsorship backed as per certain other non-football programmes or the betting slots on particular shows. talkSPORT attracted a stellar guest in former Sports Personality of the Year AP McCoy too.

Surely this is the kind of programme we should be encouraging talkSPORT to do more often, not finding any excuse to knock?
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mallory99 wrote: »
    Must say that I have also been amazed at the number of bookie adverts/plugs there are on TS programmes. Thought OFCOM might have rules against that sort of thing. Is there a single gambling company they don't plug?

I've often wondered exactly what is or is not defined as an advert? Talksport have an awful lot of those slots where they have a bookie on from whoever is sponsoring the particular show. They spend a few minutes discussing the odds that bookie is offering. To me it is nothing more than a glorified advert but I'm guessing it doesn't count as such? A sneaking suspicion its a way for Talksport to get around the existing rules.
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek: i hope he doesn't speak i might just tune in now mr google is away :p
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The station's become like a LIVE minefield you have to tread very carefully through the schedule not stepping on bombs like Goldstein, Quinn, Irani and Forde and you get through it. After being an avid listener since the very start it's become so bad I only listen to Keys & Gray in any length these days and bits and pieces of the lousy breakfast show, this show is so bad I just have to listen for the comedy effect it has on me.

carcrash radio :D it's so bad you have to tune in now and then to make sure the quality is as low as it ever was and it is:o have they got a new boss ? if yes,are they breathing ? never known the station to be so bad.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously? Don't understand the media obsession with Bullard. Bang average player, did nothing in his career, yet was fawned over when he retired.

I don't understand why Perry Groves gets so much work either.
This discussion has been closed.