Options

Would u hire a british cleaner?

candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I only ask because would you hire a born and bred british cleaner?
I was jobless and needed cash since i had no luck getting a job so advertised to do some domestic cleaning.
One person asked where i was from...i said i was british and heard nothing back,

Is this a trend. It irked me for some reason. Was I supposed to pretend i was foreign or something?
This is not racist, just a genuine question. I've not experienced that sort of discrimination - if i can do the job it doesn't matter where i'm from...

What the heck is going on???? Some were cool, some asked me for references! To clean their home - references - are u kidding me? Who do these people think they are asking for references, what am i gonna do, steal their stuff?
How many more obstacles do people wanna put in your way if you just want to bloody work? SIgh.

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I was jobless and needed cash since i had no luck getting a job so advertised to do some domestic cleaning.
    One person asked where i was from...i said i was british and heard nothing back,

Is this a trend. It irked me for some reason. Was I supposed to pretend i was foreign or something?
    This is not racist, just a genuine question. I've not experienced that sort of discrimination - if i can do the job it doesn't matter where i'm from...

What the heck is going on????

Maybe they thought that a immigrant would do it for less it's often the case
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum had an English white woman working for her as a house cleaner.

That person is probably looking to exploit a foreigner, so the person is probably worried that you, as a Brit, would be savvy enough to rebel against the person's plans to overwork you for a little pay.

Edit: You added a bit more to your opening post -- I don't see anything wrong with asking for references. You'll work in their home and probably will have the house keys to their house, so references are needed to assure them that you're trustworthy and blah blah.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, as it was just one person, then no, I wouldnt say it was 'a trend'.

With regard to the question in the tile, then yes, if I was going to employ a cleaner (highly unlikely) then I wouldn't care where they were from.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    My workplace hires a Scottish cleaner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What the heck is going on???? Some were cool, some asked me for references! To clean their home - references - are u kidding me? Who do these people think they are asking for references, what am i gonna do, steal their stuff?
    How many more obstacles do people wanna put in your way if you just want to bloody work? SIgh.

References are common in cleaning jobs. All the little notes I have had stuck through my door asking for cleaning jobs said they had references.

And it doesnt mean anything if they didn't call you back, maybe they cleaned it themselves? Who knows. I mean nobody knows, its all speculation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they thought that a immigrant would do it for less it's often the case

I advertised myself as cheaper actually. Cos I knew there would be competition. Whatever, I packed it in. Looking for something else now.
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aye we had a local girl as the cleaner at my last office, she was damn cute too :p
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some asked me for references! To clean their home - references - are u kidding me? Who do these people think they are asking for references, what am i gonna do, steal their stuff?

Err, yes that's exactly why they want references.

And why I would want references before letting someone in to clean my home while I'm not there. They arn't foolproof, but it would be nice to know they didn't rob their previous employer blind and get fired because of it.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's more likely that the person asking is asian or something and doesn't want a brit poking through their chuddies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    aye we had a local girl as the cleaner at my last office, she was damn cute too :p

Funny you should say that - i kept getting prank calls - people being suggestive about my services - and just being downright idiotic. School was out apparently. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When i move out, I'm not a fan of cleaning and will probably hire a cleaner. I may ask one of the cleaners from work if they need any extra money then I'd be happy to give them a good wage for a couple of hours work ever two weeks.
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One person asking a question and then choosing not to hire you doesn't have to mean anything. The two events may not be related at all.
  • Options
    chuckleberrychuckleberry Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had two local English ladies before my present Polish cleaner.
    I must have struck it unlucky as they were both unreliable and often missed days. They did a good job on the days that they turned up for work.

My Polish cleaner earns above the local average in our part of the country and she is worth every penny.

I would never employ anyone in my home without getting references.

(I am sure there are a great many very reliable British cleaners. As I said I must have been unlucky. Although having said that, there don't appear to be many British people wanting cleaning jobs)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum owns a cleaning company and hardly ever gets British people applying for jobs.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    My cleaner is English, and does a lovely job.

My cleaner came on recommendation from someone I knew, and I still got references for her
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i been doing private domestic and some commercial cleaning for years now. and charge cheaper rates than anyone else. but being a male its very difficult to get work in the brentwood essex area..
    But things are worse now than ever. yes people still use those professional cleaning companies to do domestic work but what they charge is silly money . ie £12 a hour minimum . and to me they are not very good. certainly do not have a BISC certication like i have ,which is the highest certicate yu can have in cleaning plus i have a manula handling certication and i was a health and safety directorete certication too. and what do i charge ? a lot less than these so called cleaners.
    OK i dont have a cleavage or great legs or even young but i do a lot better job than they do!
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Course I wouldn't higher an Englishman for anything...BECAUSE I'M NOT A RACIST.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Course I wouldn't higher an Englishman for anything...BECAUSE I'M NOT A RACIST.

Would you lower one then?
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Would you lower one then?

Ahhhhh...I'm lost without my google chrome spell checker!
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, maybe when they asked where you were from, they just wanted to know if you lived locally or not. It might not be a British thing at all, and there's nothing from your post to indicate it was.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm English and a cleaner, references no problem, even police checked if that helps. You have to be as honest as you can in cleaning to get good refs, a good cleaner with good refs is to be treasured IMO as there don't seem many of us out there these days.
  • Options
    chuckleberrychuckleberry Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I'm English and a cleaner, references no problem, even police checked if that helps. You have to be as honest as you can in cleaning to get good refs, a good cleaner with good refs is to be treasured IMO as there don't seem many of us out there these days.
    Totally agree.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I only ask because would you hire a born and bred british cleaner? .

Yes, of course, whyever not?
    I was jobless and needed cash since i had no luck getting a job so advertised to do some domestic cleaning. .

Very resourceful of you.
    One person asked where i was from...i said i was british and heard nothing back, .

If they meant - from which country you are then - strange - my general thought is - how good are they ? Who else do they clean for ? When is a good time for them ? How much money do they charge ? Nationality is irrelevant. If they meant how close are you - different matter entirely.
    Is this a trend. It irked me for some reason. Was I supposed to pretend i was foreign or something?.

Certainly nothing I've ever heard of. Don't believe what UKIP/BNP people are telling you.
    What the heck is going on???? Some were cool, some asked me for references! To clean their home - references - are u kidding me? Who do these people think they are asking for references, what am i gonna do, steal their stuff? ?.

Er, yes, that's generally why they ask for them - I certainly would. I wouldn't insist on grammatically correct screeds on high quality parchment, but perhaps a couple of phone numbers to ensure I wasn't employing a local junkie or well-known thief.
    References are fairly normal for almost all work these days. If you think this is bad, try and work in a school or with anything to do with children. We've had people banned from working with kids over unconnected offences they committed 30 odd years ago and had served time for.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    riceuten wrote: »
    Certainly nothing I've ever heard of. Don't believe what UKIP/BNP people are telling you. .

I've not heard anything come from UKIP or the BNP re the hire of local cleaners and nationality?

Nope it's just another wild story from you even though you claim to research first.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

One person didn't call you back and you jumped to the conclusion that people don't want British cleaners?

How odd.