Signal Box on EE

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Might be stating the obvious but is her mobile 3G. If it isn't then when she was at your house she could have been picking up a residual signal from your local cell tower and as she has no network signal at home thats why her phone won't work. Cant imagine that orange would be stupid enough to send a signal box to somone without a 3G mobile though. As for having to have an existing signal for the box to work thats just wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    We both have Samsung galaxy 3's. I have no network coverage at home without the signal box. I am not aware that we even have 3g in the area. She has been told so many different things and now she said she's had enough of phoning them. They told her that they would reduce her line rental to £10 per month for the inconvenience. After past experiences with Orange I have told her to watch her bill as it could be another operator that hasn't got a clue and wanted to get her off the phone. I am so annoyed at the inconsistency of the advise given by their so called customer support.
    Forum Member
    What number is she calling Orange on ?
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure the phones on GSM / WCDMA Auto Mode

Should be in Settings - Wireless and Network - Mobile Network - Network Mode - GSM / WCDMA Auto Mode

Here is Android Setup:

http://www2.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=OUKPersonal&c=OUKService&t=Service&cid=1306843176798&tab=2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies and help. The phone connects without any problems when she comes to my house. She is calling the help and support number on the Orange signal box webpage.
  • jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to update with regards to the red light issue, yes it happens to myself whenever a download is running for a long time.

And it doesn't like torrents at all.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    What happens if you limit the upload speed of the torrents (total) to around half of your actual upload?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if you limit the upload speed of the torrents (total) to around half of your actual upload?

will give that a go and check,
    Thanks for suggestion.
    Forum Member
    It seems to **** a brick when it cannot upload at a speed that 4-8 calls would use. Downloads wouldn't affect it so much unless you are totally reaming the connection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Mine seems to throw its toys outta the pram when using torrents too..... Not sure if limiting down/uploads helps but next time my MacBook is out I'll give it a try.
    Mine regularly comes up with call failed on my iPhone the first time I try calling anyone, the signal then drops, searches, reappears, then works fine second time round.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Mine doing the call failed on first attempt thing too.
    Doesn't lose the signal though, I just have to redial.
    Forum Member
    What's this doing on page 3..
    That sounded wrong!
    My SB still often not connecting on first attempt. Have to dial a second time. Did it twice today.
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    What's this doing on page 3..
    That sounded wrong!
    My SB still often not connecting on first attempt. Have to dial a second time. Did it twice today.

Im getting this too. First attempt nothing happens and eventually get a failed call notification. Redial and it goes through. Using an IPhone 4S with the latest firmware.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've ended up not using it anymore, support seems to have got worse and they've now decided that it's my ISP who is causing the issue as they claim "Sky throttle all their connections"

I've gone back to putting the phones on divert to the landline when off / no service.

Have made a complaint but doubt it'll do any good.
    Forum Member
    Funny you should say that i had loads of issues when i took my spare box to a friend who has Sky Pro Fibre (80/20) The upload was in the 0.2mbps and calls had to redialed several times to get it to work. Maybe for once a CSR was telling the truth ;)

Vodafone VAG's had a similar issue on Virgin's broadband...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny you should say that i had loads of issues when i took my spare box to a friend who has Sky Pro Fibre (80/20) The upload was in the 0.2mbps and calls had to redialed several times to get it to work. Maybe for once a CSR was telling the truth ;)

Vodafone VAG's had a similar issue on Virgin's broadband...

Whilst it does sound identical the only reason why I dissmissed the attempt to put blame at Sky is because I have a Samknows Whitebox attached to this line and at no stage does the speed drop. I even offered Orange access to my line report cards but they then said they'd continue to look at the issue as the line wasn't to blame.

That's why I made a complaint as it seemed they were wanting to blame the one part they have no control over.
    Forum Member
    I have the Whitebox as well.. although i've not seen the issues with making/receiving calls, i still have a speed issue with the Signal box but everything else is fine including whitebox. Not quite sure where the issue is but as i said VM definitely had issues with Voda customers can't remember if it was hardware (ie router) or the actual network that Voda stated.

But hey at least a compliant will find out what the hell is going on!
    Forum Member
    Mine seems to have stopped and now calls go through everytime. I'm on Plusnet (I'm a top referer so I can call their business side for my customer's problems) and CS guy i spoke to said their system doesn't block anything. They do have one of the more advanced traffic management systems out there so maybe it's that Sky's traffic management is crap or something.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do have one of the more advanced traffic management systems out there so maybe it's that Sky's traffic management is crap or something.

I thought Sky doesn't throttle anything, except for the "connect" service which is available to people who do not have Sky LLU or who can't get Sky Fibre.

I would also have thought that if they were throttling then it wouldn't only affect the signal box but any device/computer that forms an IPSec VPN (e.g. company-supplied laptops to connect back to a corporate network). Yet you don't hear many issues about that.
    Forum Member
    This is true. in fact the majority don't block IPSec so I can't see why there would be an issue really. Also the signal box will work with the slowest of connections. Mine's worked on a 256Kbps link before.
    Forum Member
    Mine seems to have stopped and now calls go through everytime. I'm on Plusnet (I'm a top referer so I can call their business side for my customer's problems) and CS guy i spoke to said their system doesn't block anything. They do have one of the more advanced traffic management systems out there so maybe it's that Sky's traffic management is crap or something.

Well you say that.. the friend i was testing it at does have issues with Sky. They are currently having a bit of bother with Fibre connections only getting half the speed they are meant to. He is one of these hafspeeders. Sky say it's a nationwide network issue, been there for a few months. It sounds like they have no clue in fact.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member

Mine seems to be working much better recently, not had any call failures when trying to dial out for a while now. Hopefully it's all fixed!
    Forum Member
    Mine working much better now also. In fact the one registered to my friend's Orange account still does occasionally not connect first time, but the one at home, registered to my EE account works first time everytime and I haven't had to reboot it for over 2 months.
    My 300 year old Devon bunker has never had it so good!
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I asked the exec office if it was possible to buy a signal box as the call centres weren't forthcoming. The reason I would have liked one is because the signal at my house is flakey; I receive no 3G signal and 2G varies between 1 bar at night to 4-5 bars (iPhone) in the day. The exec office said this is due to congestion and they have no plans to improve it. Because I have an intermittent issue, they've instead applied a £7.50pm discount to my account. Hey ho, better than nothing!
    Forum Member
    I wonder when they are actually going to make them "more widely availble"?
    £7.50 off, good result though!