Options

Peter Sellers and Lynne Frederick, bizarre story

Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
Forum Member
✭✭
I was watching an old horror movie called Vampire Circus (1972), and decided to look up the actress Lynne Frederick who appeared in the movie.

She married Peter Sellers but divorce papers were being filed just before he died of a heart attack in 1980. The thing is, months prior to his death he had been looking into changing his will to exclude Ms Frederick from it.

However, he was too late and she inherited a reported £5 million or more from his estate. She also didn't give a penny to his kids. So they got nothing.

Quite a shambles. But something really bizarre apparently happened.

After Ms Frederick died in 1993 aged just 39 (from drink and drugs), she was apparently cremated and her ashes mixed with Sellers' ashes in a weird ceremony.:o:o

I don't know if this is true, but if you have any information I'd love to know.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'In her later years Lynne's health suffered and she died in 1994, aged 39. Victoria, Peter Sellers's daughter by his previous marriage to Britt Ekland, last saw Lynne three weeks before her death and subsequently stated, "I was so shocked. Lynne was sitting in her kitchen, dressed in a filthy kaftan. She could hardly move. She was swigging vodka directly from a jug with a handle on the side".[4]

There was no evidence of foul play, and although suicide was suspected by some,[5] there was no hard evidence for this and a post-mortem failed to determine the cause of death.[6] She was survived by her mother, Iris, and her daughter, Cassie. Her remains were cremated at Golders Green Crematorium in London and her ashes were mingled and then interred with those of Peter Sellers. Her estate passed into a trust fund, the Lynne Unger Children's Trust, which was administered by accountants in Santa Monica, California; her daughter was the beneficiary.'

I hadn't heard it before but Wikipedia (and many other sites I googled) confirm the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynne_Frederick
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she was weird she'd have been a good match for him.
    Its hard to believe from interviews where he puts on the charm, but having read some biogs he seems like an utterly dislikable character. An arse to his wives & children (who don't have many complimentary things to say about him, Will or not)
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He had a fling with Princess Margaret.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it seemed shocking at the time that she did not pass on any money to Sellars' children. I don't think that did her any favours in life.
  • Options
    Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was also married to the late David Frost very briefly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'In her later years Lynne's health suffered and she died in 1994, aged 39. Victoria, Peter Sellers's daughter by his previous marriage to Britt Ekland, last saw Lynne three weeks before her death and subsequently stated, "I was so shocked. Lynne was sitting in her kitchen, dressed in a filthy kaftan. She could hardly move. She was swigging vodka directly from a jug with a handle on the side".[4]

There was no evidence of foul play, and although suicide was suspected by some,[5] there was no hard evidence for this and a post-mortem failed to determine the cause of death.[6] She was survived by her mother, Iris, and her daughter, Cassie. Her remains were cremated at Golders Green Crematorium in London and her ashes were mingled and then interred with those of Peter Sellers. Her estate passed into a trust fund, the Lynne Unger Children's Trust, which was administered by accountants in Santa Monica, California; her daughter was the beneficiary.'

I hadn't heard it before but Wikipedia (and many other sites I googled) confirm the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynne_Frederick

Thanks for that. The ashes thing is really odd considering they were on the brink of divorce. Utterly weird.:o
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading Roger Lewis's biography of Peter Sellers and how he first met Lynne Frederick through her mother, Iris who worked as a television producer.

In Roger Lewis's biography, it was Iris who forced her daughter to reconsider on marrying Peter when he had cheated on Lynne with another woman while they were engaged to be married at the time. Iris was considered to be a negative influence on Lynne, forcing her only daughter into the world of showbusiness in her early teens instead of becoming a teacher which she had originally wanted to be.

Lynne was quite young, almost the same age as Sellers's oldest daughter, Sarah when they married. So sad really...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    You think that's weird? From a guy that was sh***ing Princess Margaret and Sophia Loren
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You think that's weird? From a guy that was sh***ing Princess Margaret and Sophia Loren

Well, who actually made that decision to merge the ashes? Was it in Sellers' will?

Was it in Frederick's will?

That is issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    I remember reading Roger Lewis's biography of Peter Sellers and how he first met Lynne Frederick through her mother, Iris who worked as a television producer.

In Roger Lewis's biography, it was Iris who forced her daughter to reconsider on marrying Peter when he had cheated on Lynne with another woman while they were engaged to be married at the time. Iris was considered to be a negative influence on Lynne, forcing her only daughter into the world of showbusiness in her early teens instead of becoming a teacher which she had originally wanted to be.

Lynne was quite young, almost the same age as Sellers's oldest daughter, Sarah when they married. So sad really...

I've seen a picture of Sellers and Frederick when they had only been together for a few months.

Seriously, she looks about 20 and he looks about 65 - although I think he was about 53 at the time.

He actually looked more like her grandfather than her father, or her boyfriend.

Sorry, I have problems with old men dating and marrying very young ladies.

The picture I saw of Sellers - dirty old man sprang to mind.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Half of the landed gentry and showbiz slept with mad maggie,
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Half of the landed gentry and showbiz slept with mad maggie,
    Hahaha, is that right? :D
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes she slept with gangsters, a few high profile aristos and was linked to quite a few showbiz names some of who are still alive, she liked her coq au van, the film the bank job is about a raid on a bank in which raunchy snaps of mad maggie in various naked embraces with men of distinction and fame were stored in a safe deposit box which the robbers had no idea bout until they looked at their spoils, the robbers were never brought to justice because of the pictures, she was a right goer.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apart from the marriage to Frost, the only thing I know her for is an episode of Space 1999!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

And John 'big willy actor/gangster' Bindon.
  • Options
    cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it was guilt that turned her into an alcoholic.

The marriage was over and she knew very well Peter Sellers was in the process of changing his will, even on the day of his death, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/7892368/Peter-Sellers-changed-his-will-on-the-day-he-died-legal-papers-show.html

His 3 children, who he put through a lot emotionally, barely got an inheritance, whilst Lynne pretty much copped for the lot. Spike Milligan, good friend of Peter, tried to reason with Lynne and fulfil Peter's wishes but she wouldn't budge.

And now the estate has gone to her daughter from her first marriage Cassie Unger. No blood relation of Sellers, she has his film rights. Just plain wrong.
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cleo petra wrote: »
    His 3 children, who he put through a lot emotionally, barely got an inheritance, whilst Lynne pretty much copped for the lot. Spike Milligan, good friend of Peter, tried to reason with Lynne and fulfil Peter's wishes but she wouldn't budge.

And now the estate has gone to her daughter from her first marriage Cassie Unger. No blood relation of Sellers, she has his film rights. Just plain wrong

Morally wrong in every sense that an unrelated person gets his estate, but we're talking about Peter Sellers here and this is in line with how he treated his children and what kind of father he was. Well he was not a father at all to them was he?
    They challenged the legalities for a while but obviously the Frederick offspring has since shown as little regard for them as their own father did, the daughter could easily have worked something out with Seller's children but few people want to share an unearned goldmine. I reckon Sellers is looking down smugly too. If I had such a lousy a parent as him I'd not want a brass razoo from him.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Yes she slept with gangsters, a few high profile aristos and was linked to quite a few showbiz names some of who are still alive, she liked her coq au van, the film the bank job is about a raid on a bank in which raunchy snaps of mad maggie in various naked embraces with men of distinction and fame were stored in a safe deposit box which the robbers had no idea bout until they looked at their spoils, the robbers were never brought to justice because of the pictures, she was a right goer.
    And John 'big willy actor/gangster' Bindon.

Wow!!:o
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Wow!!:o

You may find this interesting! - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ztuwYTMPmZk
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I did see a documentary about her ex Lord Snowdon though who was just as unfaithful to her and managed to charm the royal family into thinking the sun shone out of his posterior and blame her for the failure of their marriage. She was also talked out of marrying Peter Townsend because he was divorced - I do wonder if she'd have been a much happier woman if she just been allowed to marry the man she originally wanted to in the first place - in any case I kinda of feel sorry for her. Bizzy Lizzy was pretty good at screwing with people's chances of marrying people who would actually make them happy and leading them to marry people who wouldn't.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member

There was a TV documentary about him some years ago, and they said his allusions to having had sexual relationships with both of them was largely in his own head.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A child born more than ten years after Peter's death from her third marriage ended up with his fortune, whilst his own children were ignored.
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

He claimed he had a fling with Princess Margaret. Not quite the same thing.
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

Once again, he claimed he had shagged Sophia Loren. Not quite the same thing. The guy was, after all someting of a fantasist. I remember years ago watching Parkinson interview him and he went through at least eight different accents, in no particular order, returning to one then the other. It was as though there was no Peter Sellers, just the characters he played. He seemed not to have existed outside his characters.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen a picture of Sellers and Frederick when they had only been together for a few months.

Seriously, she looks about 20 and he looks about 65 - although I think he was about 53 at the time.

He actually looked more like her grandfather than her father, or her boyfriend.

Sorry, I have problems with old men dating and marrying very young ladies.

The picture I saw of Sellers - dirty old man sprang to mind.

I'm sure I once read that he went out of his way to meet her/seduce her after seeing her in "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" where she played desperately young Katherine Howard opposite Keith Michell's "old man" (achieved by makeup) Henry VIII. She looked like a little girl in the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jWzK4xxMOE