Sam Callagham "I feel like I am the new Rylan Clark and Gary Barlow's punch bag"

alexjr2alexjr2 Posts: 74
Forum Member
Poor Sam Callanhan, I think Gary has finally got to him.

http://thetalentzone.co.uk/musictv/xfactor/3614/sam-callahan-thinks-he-might-be-the-new-rylan-clark-and-feels-he-has-become-gary-barlows-punch-bag/

It must be pretty hurtful to try so hard to improve yourself to achieve a dream, and then have someone constantly telling you you're no good.

Comments

• wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is being overdramatic, he is acting like gary is unfairly singling him out, he is not, sam is the worst performer left and hasn't improved so deserves all the criticism he gets.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    Gary was unnecessarily harsh I thought. There's constructive criticism and then there's just ripping someone apart.
  • Kasper69Kasper69 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wise-up wrote: »
    I think he is being overdramatic, he is acting like gary is unfairly singling him out, he is not, sam is the worst performer left and hasn't improved so deserves all the criticism he gets.

Personally I think Abi is worse. She destroys every song she attempts to sing.
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    Gary was unnecessarily harsh I thought. There's constructive criticism and then there's just ripping someone apart.

He already gave him nice constructive criticism the 1st 3 weeks and sam still didn't improve so maybe he thought he needed to be blunt and shock him into working harder to improve his voice.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    At least Rylan was likeable...
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    At least Rylan was likeable...

And at least Rylan could sing.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    My eardrums feel like they are Sam Callahan's punching bag.
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    xeo wrote: »

Why does critique agitate people?

If someone doesn't like a performance, they shouldn't have to lie. Gary didn't like his song being wrecked so fair enough for him to say what he did, irrespective of my opinions. He's a judge, he's meant to dish out critique.
  • bookclub10bookclub10 Posts: 4,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If someone doesn't like a performance, they shouldn't have to lie. Gary didn't like his song being wrecked so fair enough for him to say what he did, irrespective of my opinions. He's a judge, he's meant to dish out critique.

I agree with you that it shouldn't but viewers react the same when praise is dished out. Viewers nowadays seem to be trying to go against what they percieve as producers wishes, so harsh criticism can save an act and over praise can land an act in the bottom 2.
    That said I do think Gary over cooked his criticism- He could have delivered the same critique in a milder manner.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may find Gary Barlow as dull as a pi$$ soaked blanket, but he does speak the truth about Sam C & that statement about being Gary Barlow's punch is so inaccurate....... Imho there are a lot of people that would love to use him as their punch bag. :D
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's critiquing the performance: "That was pitchy, the staging was whatever, blahblahblah"

and there's just being nasty: "Everyone else is so much better than you."

The latter is a PERSONAL attack (rather than a simple critique of the PERFORMANCE) and that rubbed people off the wrong way.
  • achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cry, Sam, cry. You'll get more votes that way.
  • IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary is helping to keep him on the show, he should be hoping Gary pulverises him every week. It's damning with faint praise that puts people in the bottom two.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Gary is overly harsh. Sam is a young guy with potential and just needs a chance and some constructive advice not having Gary putting him down all the time.

Still, it didn't do Rylan any harm in the end.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    IanP wrote: »
    Gary is helping to keep him on the show, he should be hoping Gary pulverises him every week. I

agree i can't help thinking he got a sympathy vote this week
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gary is very harsh... and very unnecessarily too.
  • chavetchavet Posts: 2,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    Gary is helping to keep him on the show, he should be hoping Gary pulverises him every week. It's damning with faint praise that puts people in the bottom two.

Totally. They do the same things every year for the sake of voting revenue. At the same time as trying to boost their votes in the short term, though, they're trying to knock them for the long term. There are certain songs that create an emotional connection and increase ongoing voting -- Relight My Fire is one of the songs they use to prevent this. The only person who's managed to evade the 'Final Destination'-style targeting is Leon, but, even if the unwitting targets somehow manage to win, their bosses' petulance will manifest itself in a lack of interest that will kill their career before it starts, because they didn't 'know their place' i.e. that they were there to be ridiculed and subsequently line other people's pockets. Shelley should be probably be glad she got to leave so early, or she would likely have been playing Carmen Miranda on film week.

Aside from this, the Sam quote is a bit misleading, based on what happened in the interview with Caroline. Sam's already learned to be the diplomatic interviewee, for the most part, but he did make a couple of slips, using 'The Voice' and 'punchbag'.
  • Pimlico_PassPimlico_Pass Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam im sorry to say is one of the worst singers i have ever heard.

Why the hell did they put him through????

My cat can sing better!
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was the worst and I was shocked he got through but I suppose it's the fan base of little girls who think he's "fit" . Unfortunately each time a contestant who is not very good gets through, a better one gets knocked out as with Rylan and Christopher "menan" Malony. They kept getting voted in and better contestants went.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wise-up wrote: »

Barlow isn't very consistent in his critiques, but then, which one of them is.

I think he's right to criticize Sam C, but then there are ways of doing it that don't involve making the guy feel any more insecure than he already is.

Rich.
    x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Gary might be harsh but tbh a better act have lost their spot when it should have been Sam in the bottom two.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i won't be surprised though if gary's comment was scripted to spice things up... and it worked, it's being talked about
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chavet wrote: »
    There are certain songs that create an emotional connection and increase ongoing voting -- Relight My Fire is one of the songs they use to prevent this.

...how? I can recall Leon, Alexandra and Danyl getting that song during Disco/Take That weeks. Two went on to win the show, and it hardly seemed like they were pushing for a Danyl elimination at that point.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...how? I can recall Leon, Alexandra and Danyl getting that song during Disco/Take That weeks. Two went on to win the show, and it hardly seemed like they were pushing for a Danyl elimination at that point.

Take note, though...

Alexandra finished 4th in that week: just above JLS who were B2 that time. This was before Listen so she was Beta Girl to Diana.
    Danyl finished 4th that week: 0.9% ahead of Lloyd who was eliminated. At this point, they probably want Joe-Olly-Stacey in the final.
    Treyc finished 9th that week: just above Katie who was B2. She was clearly the Delta Girl at that point.

Given all the drama, I won't be shocked if Sam gets the best result votes-wise for performing Relight My Fire.
  • chavetchavet Posts: 2,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think originally Alexandra was there to make up the numbers, albeit as part of a group that was always meant to be strong. Danyl I'm never sure about -- there were definitely times when he was given songs designed to ensure his safety (even then, this didn't always work), but I'm not sure this was with the intention of him winning or doing well so much as the methods they employ to ensure that their is roughly one from each category at the end (or to use a polarising figure to maximise voting revenue). Also, in later weeks I think they were keen to get him out the door, for one reason or another (the main one possibly still being something we can't talk about).